THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I currently get the Detroit Free Press and the Macomb Daily newspapers.

I lost a lot of papers due to poor rain packaging and non-delivery.
Lots of phone calls by me.

So I will be on the Computer for Local and National news. Which I also read.
No BIG Hardship.
I was getting both of those as well. but the Macomb Daily delivery service was getting real bad about a year ago, so I cancelled that one. Still get the Free Press. I installed a newspaper slot on the mailbox, now they don't throw the paper on the driveway or into the cars. The wife likes to have the real paper, although I'm the one that has to go out to the mail box to get it. I'm okay with electronic versions.

Old 03-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Senior Chief

Mine is delivered by the mailman 3 times a week.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like Eric, I had a morning paper route growing up where I delivered papers literally door to door - 7 days a week in whatever the weatherman delivered that day. Torrential rain, blizzard, -50 below (air temp, not wind chill).

I really enjoy reading a newspaper. But as they kept getting thinner and thinner and cost went up, I finally gave them up over 5 years ago.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still do,but it has gotten Alot thinner.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, South Bend Tribune, for now.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WSJ. Everyday but Sunday.

Old 03-08-2023, 01:31 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Subscribed to the Finger Lakes Times since 1968. Yes, it's now thin and expensive, but I'll stick with it- just a question of who will kick off first- me or the paper.
Along with local news, I appreciate the investigative efforts. For instance, they just did a report on railroad incident preparedness, gathering input from all local rail companies.

Old 03-08-2023, 03:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We still get it here but my brother complains about the cost. Keeps saying he wants to cancel it. I say go right ahead. Objective journalism is dead.
They stopped printing a Monday edition a few years back.

I delivered the South Bend Tribune for a couple years when I was a teenager. It financed my Beatles LP collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught;
But I do like to solve the Puzzles every day from the Papers.
Tom V.
That's essentually the only thing I look forward to in our paper. Love the Jumble and the Crypto-Quip.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:50 PM

I worked for the local paper here for 25 years in the circulation department. They told us to push subscribers to the "electronic" version of the paper because delivery was getting too expensive. We didn't believe it would happen, but 2 years ago I was the last person to be let go, and they stopped delivery. Sad!

Old 03-16-2023, 04:50 AM

Morrison County Record weekly here. It showed up the first week we move here. (28 years ago) Called them to let them know former owners had moved.
Response was " Thats Ok, every one who pays property taxes gets a free copy"
Been getting it ever since then.
Covers alot of area so there are some interesting finds once and a while.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:09 AM

Used to deliver newspapers with my Schwinn Orange Krate.
On Sundays, I had a set of "S" Hooks to attach a second outboard set of carriers.
When I'd get off the bike fully loaded- it would wheelie back and stay there upright and parked.
Hadn't actually even seen a newspaper in a great many years- until several weeks ago when a colleague sent me a clipping from the WSJ.
I kept it and will probably frame it!

1965 GTO (Black) TRIPOWR
464CI TriPower 4-Speed

1965 GTO (Blue) 3X24SPD
464CI TriPower 4-Speed
Old 03-16-2023, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No. Gave it up about 5 or 6 yrs ago. Our local paper was one day a week. Then they went Monday and Wed. Then they went to 5 days a week. This was a progression that took 30 years. After about 10 yrs of 5 days they went back to M,W,F. They had a large printing operation locally and were the parent co. of many small local papers. They stopped printing locally, offices were eventually closed, now it is a small fold out similar in size to a tabloid magazine. Comes out on Thursdays. Wife gets it at work and brings it home if there is something interesting. I think most people get the news instantly over the computer or fb today.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well it's been 1 full week since I ended my 50+ year subscription to The Dayton Daily News. Still in withdrawal! I miss having the one day old news with my coffee in the morning. Now I am even less aware of what's going on in the world. That may not be all bad.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I switched to electronic propaganda about 20 years ago (and have since given up on 99% of that as well). The worst part is finding something to start the charcoal with as nothing works as well as newsprint.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:12 PM

And nothing works better than newsprint for cleaning glass!

Old 03-20-2023, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Yes, I am one of the old codgers who really enjoyed getting a hard copy newspaper every day delivered to my house. I finally gave up today and cancelled. Our paper, The Dayton Daily News was celebrating their 125th Anniversary this year. I like having a print paper to read with my breakfast every day. That;s all the news I need. I don't need my laptop on the kitchen table getting crumbs in the keys and coffee spilled on it every morning. I also don't need a phone in my hand every minute of every day. Finally, I used the old newspapers for all kinds of things around the house. I have been a subscriber for 45 years. Home delivery here has been a problem for at least the last 10 years. We probably average 3 missed deliveries a month. You call a number in India and they give you a credit. Over the last 3-4 years, the cost has skyrocketed and now it is about $400.00 a year for the paper. Last week we get a letter saying they will now print the paper 6 days a week instead of 7 and keep the "same low price". Well after a missed delivery today, they finally broke me. I cancelled and gave up. Anyone still read a hard copy paper?
Same experience I had with the Detroit News & Free Press. We dropped it a couple years ago, and I now have a digital subscription to the Washington Post (my "hometown paper"...). It took me a little while to get used to the change in format, but I prefer it now. Another benefit is the cat won't sit on the iPad, but I always had to push him away from the physical paper...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 03-21-2023, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
I switched to electronic propaganda about 20 years ago (and have since given up on 99% of that as well). The worst part is finding something to start the charcoal with as nothing works as well as newsprint.
Ha! We use our fireplace a lot during the cold months, and I grill out all year. Yes, we have gotten creative with paper for starting the fires, lol. I have found that Ames prepares their packages with an abundance of paper (thankfully no peanuts) that works perfect. When the paper runs low, time to make another order.