Old 03-13-2023, 02:36 PM

Default Good grief STOP THE INSANITY

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-grand-prix-7/
People questioning this cars authenticity with valid concerns I guess.
Then someone unrelated to the bidding action goes and checks it out? Gives the okay signal then look what happens.
Bunch of goofys over there.

Old 03-13-2023, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am looking to sell my sell my LS3 powered T/A on BaT and will definitely examine a few listing to see the correct way to do this - thanks for the link.

I will list this first on PY for a week to give the Pontiac faithful first shot but not expected my but the usual "not a Stratostreak" brickbats.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure what needed to be confirmed?V8 tripower 4 speed car.Nothing real rare about it.For sure a lot of not original parts on the car.Would not matter IMO if it was a original 4 bbl auto car.Went for a great price for the seller.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 05:44 PM

Listing had car equipped with a 389. Seller was able to determine during the auction the car had a passenger car 400 in it from the 70's.
Whatever.Seller won today.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats a win win for the buyer!Tom

Old 03-14-2023, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it was a handsome car. Yes, lots of non-stock parts on it sure. But not done in an obnoxious way IMO. When it was stuck at $19,500.00 for days, I thought it would be a very nice car for the 19,500.00-23K , a great buy actually. Your not going to get a paint job like that around here for less than 15K on a great body. Thousands in chrome plating. Nice interior. 3K worth of 8 lug wheels. It all ads up quick. IMO, would be a nice driver, local show type car. I would enjoy it. At 37K, top of the market right now. But if I was looking, I would have considered it. Not crazy about red, but most people love it.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 10:58 PM

Well I think I'd take a 4 bolt 389 420 or 425 "A" vs that 73 vintage block in that car.
That would've made a major difference.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pre 64 389s are not worth much these days and finding a surviving 4 bolt is really double hard.That car is almost identical to the one I drive except mine is blk interior.Tom

Old 03-15-2023, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4 speed 1962 GP for sale is not rare. A couple of years ago I was looking for an A.T. 1962 GP for my wife and all I could find that were any good were 4 speed GP's. There must have been 6 of them on ebay at the time. I'm not saying they were original but they were 4 speeds.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I purchased this car. Had multiple conversations with the owner. He didn't do himself any favors with the information and is not computer literate. He is a car guy but mostly chevy. He paid a lot more for it than I did! This was a low optioned 389/348 car so not exactly all that common. I will be getting rid of most of the engine compartment bling....definitely not a fan! The current engine is probably nothing to write home about....probably only around 300 horse. That said, I'll drive it through this summer/fall. Although I have a few other motors sitting around, I will be actively looking for a 425A motor after this year. As a result of this purchase I will be selling my 62 GP project in a few weeks. I purchased it here on the forum about 11 years back from Mister G. It is a western car that is .black with white interior. 65, 421 with a turbo 400. Drove it for a short time then gave to my son to restore....He took a lot of it apart and that is how it is now. I'd love to keep it as not a lot of rust on it but the wife says one of my cars got to go......and it won't be my black 67 GTO!

Old 03-15-2023, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Pre 64 389s are not worth much these days and finding a surviving 4 bolt is really double hard.That car is almost identical to the one I drive except mine is blk interior.Tom
I believe this car originally had a black interior.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be looking for a 421 block to put in it.Have a 63 HO in mine now.Tom

Old 03-15-2023, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I would be looking for a 421 block to put in it. Have a 63 HO in mine now.Tom
That is one consideration and a good way to go.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be cheaper just to do a 3in main 4in stroke crank in a 389 block.Just built a 421 SD engine for a guy with a 389.62 engine.Tom

Old 03-15-2023, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a thought. Won't do anything until fall/winter. Didn't tell my wife I was purchasing this car and still in the begging for forgiveness mode! LOL!

Old 03-16-2023, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
4 speed 1962 GP for sale is not rare. A couple of years ago I was looking for an A.T. 1962 GP for my wife and all I could find that were any good were 4 speed GP's. There must have been 6 of them on ebay at the time. I'm not saying they were original but they were 4 speeds.
I think the Slim Jim transmission is the reason there are more stick shift 62-64 GP's than you would expect. Having owned a couple Slim Jim cars, I can understand that. IMO, that transmission just ruins a great car. Maybe I have just never ridden in one that works right, but that says something in itself. Seems many were converted to 4-speeds or turbo 400's.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I think the Slim Jim transmission is the reason there are more stick shift 62-64 GP's than you would expect. Having owned a couple Slim Jim cars, I can understand that. IMO, that transmission just ruins a great car. Maybe I have just never ridden in one that works right, but that says something in itself. Seems many were converted to 4-speeds or turbo 400's.
Over the years, one of the first things I did with any Slim Jim cars I owned was to convert the transmission to something else....be it 4 speed or turbo 400.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 62 showed up today....pleasantly surprised as we all know pictures (and people) can lie. The rear pot metal trim is absolutely flawless as are the tail light bezels. Front and rear bumpers are really excellent. Doors shut with solid precision. Few minor flaws in the paint...a small chip near the rear antenna. Starts well and runs pretty strong looks to have a very slight oil leak at the passenger side valve cover....covers will be changed out...hopefully soon as I will be "de-blinging" the engine compartment. Gear ratio is not a 3.64 but a 3.42. Car drives and stops like a 62....lol. All and all pretty happy with the purchase. My black 62 project will be up for sale in a few weeks after I go through it to see where it is.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you need dif ratios I will have some pumpkins for sale in a few weeks.One of our group passed away a couple weeks ago and we are going to help the wife move some stuff.61 Ventura,62 sedan and a 64 2 plus 2.All 4 speed cars.Brand new fresh build 421 62 SD engine,not even fired up yet.Saw 4 pumpkins,ratios listed but not sure how many are posi.4 sitting there.PM if any interest.Tom

Old 03-20-2023, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info Tom. May need some stuff when I get a little more into it.