Old 03-22-2023, 02:19 PM

Default Help finding a wagon door spring?

No luck with Ames, OPGI, or Restoration Specialties. According to the tech guy at Ames, he checked a GM parts book and it appears to be a GM part number of 4301722 (RH) or 4301723 (LH). It’s a type door latch spring that came off the inside door latch mechanism on my 66 Catalina wagon. He also said it appears they used the same spring on 62-67 Chevelle wagons and El Caminos.

Restoration specialties has a similar looking spring that I am considering ordering and just seeing if I could bend it how it needed to be, but I also wondered if those springs would actually bend or just try and break. Or curious if anyone might know where to find them before I start trying to hunt down cars in a salvage yard.

As you can see in my pictures one leg is broke off. From what I can tell it applies pressure in the lock to keep the detent lever pushed down to latch?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0DB5E8D5-41A6-4A71-B286-FCFAEFCFCF7C.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	609382   Click image for larger version

Name:	4CCFBF1B-A5E5-4490-9912-F9A2B7A26D15.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	609384  

Old 03-22-2023, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

McMaster-Carr sells a variety of little springs of that variety. They are a industrial supply warehouse. You would need to measure an old spring for wire diameter, number of coils and leg design. But there is a good possibility they would have a spring that would function for you. They have a great on-line catalog but this is not car parts so you have to have your measurements.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this close?

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/9720761.html

Fits ‘67 - ‘72 El Caminos.
I look at Chevy sites for things to fit my ‘63 Safari. A lot of stuff interchanges but they won’t list it for a Pontiac. Ecklers has a lot of stuff too.

You may be better off looking for a complete latch assembly.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Is this close?

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/9720761.html

Fits ‘67 - ‘72 El Caminos.
I look at Chevy sites for things to fit my ‘63 Safari. A lot of stuff interchanges but they won’t list it for a Pontiac. Ecklers has a lot of stuff too.

You may be better off looking for a complete latch assembly.
Yeah I may just need to try something that’s close and see if I can make it work. Never thought about checking Ecklers or other sites. I definitely think searching for the Chevy compatible part will be my better option.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Torsion springs from McMaster-Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/torsion-springs/

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: