THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default GMC Diagnostics e-mail

About a month ago I received an e-mail from GMC diagnostics telling me my battery was low. I thought it may have been from not driving my truck for over a week and maybe the traffic camera had pulled the battery down enough to trigger the notification.
The battery was only 6 or 7 months old. Anyway I cranked the truck with no problem and drove it about 20 miles thinking that should be enough to charge the battery back up.
Then, last Monday I got another e-mail saying the battery was low. I got my volt meter and checked the battery. It was at 11.7 volts. I cranked the truck and checked again and the alternator was putting out about 14.8 volts.
I unhooked the traffic cam and hooked up my battery charger. It showed 11 .5 volts and a charge of 25%!
I charged the battery overnight and took the truck to the battery store to have it checked.
The service man disconnected the battery before he put his tester on it. He went back inside and a minute later came back out with a new battery.
I am thankful for the heads up from GMC because I could have been stranded with a dead battery.

Old 03-22-2023, 11:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My canyonaro used to send mail when she was on warranty.

I liked the service but was always worried about them reneging warranty for knowing too much...lol

Old 03-22-2023, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a good story with a happy ending.

Big brother can be helpful.

A few months ago I locked my key in my truck and at the same time, locked myself out of the house where the 2nd key was hanging.

I chose to call OnStar instead of breaking a door or window. After verifying my identity, they unlocked it in about a minute and I don't even pay for the service. I was happy!

I don't mind if they know my oil needs changing. I need to know that too and I don't expect them to honor a warranty if I don't maintain the truck.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I am on new battery number 3! Truck barely cranked this morning so I took it back to the battery shop. It had 11.4 volts After being driven for about 15 miles. The mechanic told me that the battery maker had fired several employees for allowing questionable batteries to leave the plant. He said the problem has been corrected and my new battery is from a new batch that just came in. So, I will wait and see. If I have a problem with this one I will get my money back and go elsewhere. I don't want to mention the brand yet. But, if I have a problem with this one I will let you all know.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our old daily driver cars all went through their batteries 2-years ago; each had a dropped cell. That was 3 or 4 batteries.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:17 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Well, I am on new battery number 3! Truck barely cranked this morning so I took it back to the battery shop. It had 11.4 volts After being driven for about 15 miles. The mechanic told me that the battery maker had fired several employees for allowing questionable batteries to leave the plant. He said the problem has been corrected and my new battery is from a new batch that just came in. So, I will wait and see. If I have a problem with this one I will get my money back and go elsewhere. I don't want to mention the brand yet. But, if I have a problem with this one I will let you all know.
Yes, let us know the brand if you again have the same problem. I've gone through three Interstate batteries in the last two and a half years on my 2008 GMC Envoy. Everyone I've talked to says Interstate are the best! Fortunately I bought these at Costco and they have a very liberal return policy...

Old 04-18-2023, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
Yes, let us know the brand if you again have the same problem. I've gone through three Interstate batteries in the last two and a half years on my 2008 GMC Envoy. Everyone I've talked to says Interstate are the best! Fortunately I bought these at Costco and they have a very liberal return policy...
I like AutoZone Duralast for the same reason; you're basically renting the battery from them. (I think they've become a little stingier in the last decade or so, but as long as they fail before the 3 years, you get the new one free.)

The factory warranty on our XT5 expires in 2 weeks and the battery failed yesterday. I feel like we won the lottery - I was sure that would happen 2 weeks AFTER the warranty expired.