THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-23-2023, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tune up parts?

Been at least 2 decades since I’ve purchased tune up parts that weren’t obtained from Summit.

When I did, they typically were Borg Warner/BW select.

The beater needs parts…1995 Chevy 4.3, so cap rotor wires plugs air filter. I don’t really recognize/have experience with the brands currently on rock auto besides Standard and Delco.

Any suggestions as to what brands to use/not use? Only thing I’m sure on is AC for the plugs, lol.

Also, anything else as part of the tune up regimen, pcv valve, flux capacitor, etc? It’s a 95 half ton pick up, 2WD 97K miles and I have no idea when anything was last done.

Thx

Old 03-23-2023, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can still get good quality tune-up parts from NAPA. But in order to make that happen you have to buy the right stuff. The brand on all the parts needs to be "Echlin", or Echlin Premium". Do not buy anything under the NAPA "Performer" brand line. That stuff is all crap. 50% failure rate in my experience. Your just rolling the dice. Everything else out there in the aftermarket is really hit or miss IMO. Standard Ignition, Borg Warner, Motorcraft, and many others, all you can do is inspect the parts and make your decision to buy or not. A quality distributor cap will have brass inserts, be a heavy, phenolic or bakelite material. It should have some thickness and weight to it, not super thin, delicate plastic like the Chinese crap. The terminals need to be properly inserted and clocked, the center terminal should have a smooth, generous radius on it. As far as points go, personally, I only use points with a positive screw attachment for the wires, not a clip. The arm needs to have reasonable spring tension so the points do not bounce and there should be a wiper or pad for cam lubrication. I do not like vented points, ones with a hole in the stationary contact. That greatly reduces the surface area of the contact area. For the condenser, I inspect the old points carefully. If evenly worn and burned on both contacts, I reuse the old condenser. The new ones are a complete guess. Plug wires, it really depends on what "Look " you want. NAPA Belden wires are good quality but blue in color. Some people prefer black. Hope some of this helps. I see I missed a couple of your items. Air filters, Wix or Pro Select budget brand from NAPA are fine. For spark plugs on old engines, I prefer copper electrode plugs. They are low cost, require lower firing voltage to spark, and are less likely to gas foul than platinum. Of course the down side is they don't last as long. Typically, 36-50K miles.

Last edited by mgarblik; 03-23-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RockAuto sells quality parts and at a reasonable price.