Old 04-09-2003, 07:47 AM

For some reason, the interior lights in my '64 will not shut off, even with the headlight switch disconnected. I kknow it must be grounded somewher, I am going nuts tryingto find out where/why. Any ideas/tips ?

Thanks

Old 04-09-2003, 07:47 AM

For some reason, the interior lights in my '64 will not shut off, even with the headlight switch disconnected. I kknow it must be grounded somewher, I am going nuts tryingto find out where/why. Any ideas/tips ?

Thanks

Old 04-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you replace the headliner ? if so check under the dome lamp for pinched wire. If not check jamb switches on the front door shearwall area. Also if car is equiped with a trunk light check it . Generally the wire colour is orange for dome circuit. The dome lamp housing may also be suspect also as it may have a metal paint type finish to it . Also when checking your wiring circuit that there is no exposed wire. Another place to check is the parking brake. seems that was very common in assembly for the dome light circuit wire to be pinched. You will have to check all places that have a light, glove box underhood, under dash etc. The jamb switches can keep your interior lighting on as well as they, become coroded. Best of luck .

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 04-14-2003, 05:27 PM

Had the same problem on my 66, I agree with Kate's67, first check the door jam switches, making sure they are breaking contact, and not grounding out. I replaced my dome light reflector, and discovered the metal plating was grounding out the light. Scrapped the back of the reflector clean of the plating, made sure the bulb clips were secure, and not grounding against the reflector. Haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2003, 11:12 AM

Any short of the return wire to any chassis ground(white wire on lamp circuit) will keep the lights on. All of these interior courtesy lamps are on a normally open circuit...shorting them by openning doors, or turning on interior lights completes the circuit...LIGHT ON

Old 04-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the door jamb switch. Someone replace it with one that was too short and the door never hit it.

[img]ftp://members.aol.com/gr8one68/gr8one68.jpg[/img]

469 (455 + .060") with the Edelbrock RAIV cam, Ported 6X-8 heads with 1.77" exhaust valves, 100 cc's, "0" decked block for 9.3:1 static CR, Eagle 1.65:1 roller rockers, Edelbrock RPM manifold and Edelbrock 750 carb., 1.75" x 3.0" Hedman Headers, 2.5" flowmaster exhaust system with "H" pipe and Dynamax super turbo mufflers. 200-4R with a Continental converter, 3.07:1 12 Bolt Saf-T-Trac