Old 04-11-2003, 11:05 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem with an electrical gremlin. I have power windows in my '66 LeMans and when controlling the left rear power window from the main(4-buttton) switch, I get smoke and sparks. Controlling the left rear window from the left rear window switch results in the window going up and down real slow.

So far I have taken the rear apolstery out along with the rear left arm rest. I have:
Unplugged the connection to the left rear window motor - the front main switch still sparks.
I disconnected the rear left switch - the front main switch still sparks.
Using a test light, the orange wire with the black stripe(feed wire) is constantly on...meaning it lights up...very bright by the way...is this normal?
There is a 6 channel ribbon cable running under the carpet. 3 for the left - 2 black and 1 black w/ white stripe and 3 for the right - 2 black and 1 black w/ white stripe. When I use the test light on the left side black w/white stripe cable..again, it lights up. When I use the test light on the right side black w/white stripe cable, it does not light up. I'm wondering which one is correct? When controlling the right side rear window from the main(4-button) switch, it works fine.

Here's what I plan to do. Remove the drivers side seat, pull the carpet up and follow the ribbon cable back to the dash area. The first connection/junction I find, I will unplug and test the front switch again to see if it sparks. If the problem persists, continue to follow the cabling/wiring back to try and find the source. Not sure if this is the right way to go about the assessing the problem?? Any suggestions? Could it be the main(4-button) switch itself? And by the way, I installed a new wiring harness from the main switch to the firewall...which did not fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Old 04-11-2003, 11:05 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem with an electrical gremlin. I have power windows in my '66 LeMans and when controlling the left rear power window from the main(4-buttton) switch, I get smoke and sparks. Controlling the left rear window from the left rear window switch results in the window going up and down real slow.

So far I have taken the rear apolstery out along with the rear left arm rest. I have:
Unplugged the connection to the left rear window motor - the front main switch still sparks.
I disconnected the rear left switch - the front main switch still sparks.
Using a test light, the orange wire with the black stripe(feed wire) is constantly on...meaning it lights up...very bright by the way...is this normal?
There is a 6 channel ribbon cable running under the carpet. 3 for the left - 2 black and 1 black w/ white stripe and 3 for the right - 2 black and 1 black w/ white stripe. When I use the test light on the left side black w/white stripe cable..again, it lights up. When I use the test light on the right side black w/white stripe cable, it does not light up. I'm wondering which one is correct? When controlling the right side rear window from the main(4-button) switch, it works fine.

Here's what I plan to do. Remove the drivers side seat, pull the carpet up and follow the ribbon cable back to the dash area. The first connection/junction I find, I will unplug and test the front switch again to see if it sparks. If the problem persists, continue to follow the cabling/wiring back to try and find the source. Not sure if this is the right way to go about the assessing the problem?? Any suggestions? Could it be the main(4-button) switch itself? And by the way, I installed a new wiring harness from the main switch to the firewall...which did not fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Old 04-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your email; I've sent you the section from the '67 manual.

Regards, George

Old 04-11-2003, 07:16 PM

Thanks George...I'll take a look.

Dan

Old 04-22-2003, 06:22 PM

George / Pittsburgh 64,

Guys, thanks for your help. George, the .pdf wiring diagrams really helped.

I found the problem this past weekend. It appears the wiring harness located under the dash near the fuse box, that connects to the flat ribbon cable that runs under the carpet to the rear power windows,and then up to the two front window harness connections was the problem and that's an understatement. The platic coating around the wires along with the wiring harness tape had literally melted away. These wires were completely exposed. I was real lucky to find it before the car burned up.

Thanks again for your help...Dan

Old 04-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to be of help.

Regards, George