Old 04-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My backup lights are always on, no matter if I am in reverse or not. I tried unplugging and swapping the wires to the reverse switch with no luck. This is a manual 4-speed, 64 Lemans.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

----------------------------------------------------------
When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag himself.

Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin," and "Keep away from children."

Old 04-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My backup lights are always on, no matter if I am in reverse or not. I tried unplugging and swapping the wires to the reverse switch with no luck. This is a manual 4-speed, 64 Lemans.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag himself.

Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin," and "Keep away from children."

Old 04-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MOst likely culprit is the switch is stuck in the ON position.

Is your switch on the shifter linkage? Is the link bent/out of position?

Regards, George

Old 04-15-2003, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the switch is on the shifter linkage. I am fairly sure nothing is bent as I was careful removing and installing, because I wasn't sure another could be found. I will have to climb under the car and have someone shift it into reverse to see if I can see anything wrong.

Old 04-15-2003, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If that switch is like mine, it may be possible to install it 180 degrees off. If so, try rotating the body of the switch 180 and reinstall.

Regards, George

Old 04-15-2003, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I will look at that too. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I checked the movement of the backup switch and it seems to be moving freely. The lights are still on no matter which position the switch is in. Since the lights are on no matter where the switch is at would the suggestion of rotating the body 180° make a difference?

Does anyone know if I check it with a volt meter whether there is a voltage across the terminals or an open or closed continuity.

Old 04-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the lights are on,it's getting power.
Disconnect the plug at the switch,if the light goes out then the switch is bad.
If it stays on,then you have a short to the backup light.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can unplug the wires at the switch and the lights go off. I tried swapping the wires to see if that made a difference but no luck.

Bad switch huh? Anyone know where to get one? I haven't looked yet.

Old 04-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

did you look and make sure that switch is shuting off[adjusted right} If you can remove the switch and manually with your hand work the switch to see if it is bad or out of adjustment

connman

Old 04-22-2003, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't disconnected the swithch from the mount, I have only disconnected the wires which the lights do go out. I have also looked at the lever that has the small connecting rod that goes to the tab on the reverse gear. This lever seems to be moving freely forwards and backwards. I will remove the switch from the bracket to see it needs to be adjusted for more travel.

I am currently trying to track down a fuel gauge issue first, but will be getting to this one next.

Old 05-05-2003, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I found the problem and boy do I feel dumb. I unbolted the mount that holds the backup switch and noticed that there is a slot where the back bolt goes through. This slot allows the switch to be adjusted so there is more or less travel depending on how it is aligned in the slot. I had it mounted so the switch wouldn't travel far enough. Adjusted the mount and everything works great.

So if anyone else has the same problem, now you know where to look first.