Old 01-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Default 1965 Hood Hinges

Question, is there any way to determine if the hood hinges on my car are OEM or aftermarket? The car is a 65 however the hinges are the later version that I believe came out around 1967. The large rivet heads are stamped with the letter “K” and are very loose and the hood has all the usual fit-up issues. If in fact, they are aftermarket I will cut my losses and look for an original pair to have redone.
Thanks
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge 2 (1).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	503618   Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge 2 (2).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	503619   Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge 3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	503620  

Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The pair I have from a 65 have a "K" on 3 rivets and a "B" on the remaining 2. They are tight,no springs .PM me if you are interested.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could be Ames repo hinge call & ask about the letter K , others may chime in .

Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My original stamps are also B and K and a couple rivets are not stamped..

"Bill"!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Could be Ames repo hinge call & ask about the letter K , others may chime in .
Yes originals did have a single letter on the rivets he is trying to determine if his hinges are original or repo. Ames repos. may or may not have a letter stamped on the rivets .

Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the responses as they helped. I talked to a repair shop and he told me the hinges are original GM parts that can be rebuilt. He told me the casting sign on the LH hinge on the small link piece has a M or W with a line under it that indicated it was made by Atwood which GM had to manufacturer all hood hinges in the 50's and 60's for them. Also, after looking closer I found the rivet heads are stamped with the letter’s “K” and “B”

Old 01-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donziboy View Post
Thanks for the responses as they helped. I talked to a repair shop and he told me the hinges are original GM parts that can be rebuilt. He told me the casting sign on the LH hinge on the small link piece has a M or W with a line under it that indicated it was made by Atwood which GM had to manufacturer all hood hinges in the 50's and 60's for them. Also, after looking closer I found the rivet heads are stamped with the letter’s “K” and “B”
Realized I did not attached the picture of the casting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190123_175244.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	503782  

Old 01-24-2019, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great info!!!! THANKS

"Bill"!

Old 06-22-2019, 11:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by donziboy View Post
Realized I did not attached the picture of the casting.
donziboy

For 1964

I was reluctant to jump into this thread as I like to have some substantiation prior to commenting, but struck out miserably - my disclaimer. Here goes:

The company you reference, Atwood, went under a myriad number of names during the history of the company, and I believe during the '60's went under the name of Atwood Mobile (AM). AM was located in several states, and had facilities in Royal Oak and Pontiac, Michigan. They supplied hood related hardware to Pontiac, and was one of the hood hinge suppliers to our A-Bodies. (A second supplier of hinges had the stamping EO. The rivets found on these EO hinges had 12 concentric circles on the heads.)

The letter M is formed by joining two inverted V's. The letter A is formed by one inverted V and a horizontal dash. I believe the Atwood Mobile logo was formed using the letter M, and placing a horizontal dash across the first inverted V of the letter M. This created an A within the M. To assure the observer interpreted the logo properly, they underscored the logo with the dash so that it was not thought to be a W.
The photo in Post 7 shows the underscored logo.
The only thing I can say with any certainty was that this same outfit supplied our hood release mechanism..

Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE 64 View Post
donziboy

For 1964

I was reluctant to jump into this thread as I like to have some substantiation prior to commenting, but struck out miserably - my disclaimer. Here goes:

The company you reference, Atwood, went under a myriad number of names during the history of the company, and I believe during the '60's went under the name of Atwood Mobile (AM). AM was located in several states, and had facilities in Royal Oak and Pontiac, Michigan. They supplied hood related hardware to Pontiac, and was one of the hood hinge suppliers to our A-Bodies. (A second supplier of hinges had the stamping EO. The rivets found on these EO hinges had 12 concentric circles on the heads.)

The letter M is formed by joining two inverted V's. The letter A is formed by one inverted V and a horizontal dash. I believe the Atwood Mobile logo was formed using the letter M, and placing a horizontal dash across the first inverted V of the letter M. This created an A within the M. To assure the observer interpreted the logo properly, they underscored the logo with the dash so that it was not thought to be a W.
The photo in Post 7 shows the underscored logo.
The only thing I can say with any certainty was that this same outfit supplied our hood release mechanism..
Thanks for the Atwood Mobil clarification