THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2022, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
the complaints of cliffs i was referring to is that they charge 14-16% for ebay motors categories, they dont, its 12.9% but on the total price including shipping & taxes because they are processing those payments... just like all credit card companies did before the internet, buy a pair of jeans from sears & sears has to pay visa their fees on the full sale amount including taxes.... which sears passed on to the consumers. the other complaints about buying boxes, ink, paper etc are just things you gotta buy to operate a business...

ive been selling on ebay at a pretty large volume for 20+ years until the last couple years ive toned it down quite a bit, mainly because the market for parting out 2nd gen firebirds has got stupid, $500-$1000 rusty parts car with no title are selling for $2000+ now, that leaves little meat on the bone to make it worth all the work involved. its not ebays fault. but i still make decent money listing parts & other stuff like home audio there. i dont echo any of cliffs complaints, its very user friendly to list auctions, & also very easy to see the fees they charge. not that his complaints arent valid for him, but the numbers on fees are not right.

also, ebay is not charging their own tax on items nor do they "want more." the tax they charge is the same exact amount of tax any online business charges whether its summit, amazon, etc. its the state & federal governments that impose those sales taxes for all businesses to charge, started with the net neutrality crap so the government could get their share of sales tax income because all internet sales used to be tax free before they did that. its not just ebay charging those taxes & they dont get to keep any of it.

sorry for all the comments on this thread, just trying to provide accurate info to the comments that are misunderstood or not correct.
I'm not going to get into an argument with you about eBay's scruples which I feel are suspect. You're sugar-coating eBay's problems where Cliff is telling us like it is. Further, your years in eBay doesn't impress me and I've been doing it longer than you. Charging sales tax on used items, is not correct and all the government wants to do is dig deeper into our pockets. Now that maybe fine with you, but most don't like it. So how do you know what eBay gets and doesn't get?? Do you work for them or are you talking through your hat?? Cliff is telling the truth, sorry you can't deal with it man!!! Enough said!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ram Air IV Jack For This Useful Post: