Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default MUZZLELOADER QUESTIONS

Anyone buy a new muzzleloader rifle this past season?

If so, would you share some info like what did you buy and why, or which ones are you looking at?

I have an old inline KNIGHT, bought first or second year they came out.
There is only like two threads holding the trigger assembly onto the bottom of the breech and it strips "real easy" probably due to powder extremes.
Ive had it tapped twice now and its time for a new one.

Thanks for the info.
Jeff

Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thompson Center Encore, probably the best and most versatile. http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encore.php

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I'll check em out.
Jeff

BTY, I Just saw you're from Brainerd. Reminded me of that wood chipping scene in the movie....lol.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your talking about Fargo, we don't really talk like that. you betcha.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ha Ha!

I hear ya.

I got cold watching that movie, though!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 PM

I bought a Thompson Center Pro Hunter in a .50 last year. I bought it after talking to a friend who recommended it. I use Triple 7 powder with a Barnes bullet. I have a Nikon scope with quick release rings and also have a peep sight installed. Here in Wisconsin, I can take off the scope during the muzzleloader only season as we are not allowed to used magnified scopes. I can shoot targets at 150 yards with no problem. The gun is very well made as mentioned above. It has become my favorite. I had a $200 CVA before this gun and used the Pyrdex pellets.

Most people will tell you to use as much powder as your gun will allow. This is not true. In my Pro Hunter, I use 90 grams. You can find alot of good information and products at: http://www.eabco.com

The only downside with Thompson is they don't offer any models in Orbit Orange.

Happy hunting,

Dan

Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not a muzzleloader, but I have a TC Encore PH. Texas hunting seasons aren't real friendly to ML's, so I don't bother with it.

Great rifle, terrible trigger. You'll likely need this http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/item.php?pid=651&cid=87

Somewhere on that site there's also free downloadable instructions for the sear/ hammer work also. I used a cheap stone and ez lap from Brownells, and installed the #2 or 3 spring set- forget which, I think #3 . The trigger is a glass rod now.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com