Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Default '65 LeMans

Not mine. I saw it at Heritage Motors in Palmyra. A detailed history sheet was in the window, from when it was bought new in Buffalo. The car has led a "sheltered life" apparently, and doesn't have a lot of miles- maybe 39K? The original six-cylinder was changed to a 326 and automatic many years ago. Advertised price is $12,000 and it looked pretty nice. Search for "Heritage Motors Palmyra" for their website- click on "classic cars" to see some photos of the LeMans. If someone has particular questions or something to look at on the car, I'm only fifteen miles or so away from it.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing 132K miles or more from all the parts I see that have been swapped out

http://www.heritagevehicles.com/Prod...category_id=12

Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
... all the parts I see that have been swapped out...
Umm... what parts are you seeing? I probably only spent about five minutes, but the car appeared pretty original to me. If it's got 132K miles on it, then the long detailed history sheet is a total fabrication- which it could be, but seems like quite a stretch.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey there Pontiac Jack,

If your able to stop by again while your out and about I would be interested in getting you to check it out more. I am trying to build a street strip car so a 326 is a little tiny but if you could find out what tranny it has, rear end, and gears I would appreciate it (though I am not expecting much from a old 6 cyl car). A solid body is very important to me as well. I don't usually trust dealers, so if you go by and check it out, feel it out a bit and ask how negotiable they are on price too.

Thanks and appreciate your time if your able to stop by again

Andrew

Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Senior Chief

Overpriced...would have been worth more with the OHC 6 in it ! $9000 - $9500 ?

389 .030 400ci Tri Power, .068 cam, HO manifolds, M-20 4 SPD, '70 12 Bolt 3:36 Chevrolet posi-traction, Montero Red, Parchment gut, VINTAGE AIR, PFDB, Bilsteins, F&R HD Sways, Hotchkis rear bags, Firestone Indy 500 shoes

"What's the point of owning a muscle car if you can't scare yourself stupid from time to time ?"
Old 08-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkins View Post
Overpriced...would have been worth more with the OHC 6 in it !
Why do you say that? It didn't come with an OHC6 to begin with.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:42 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Andrew- I'll see what I can do for you.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those gotta be some awfully long battery cables! And it looks like they used earlier years 326 emblems, as those are not 65 326 emblems on the front fenders. I would have to look at the car in person, but some of the things that I look for tell me that it is a fairly low mileage car. I seriously doubt it has 132k on it. But I don't think it's worth no where near 13k in today's market. With being an original 6 car I wouldn't want to have any more than 1/2 that in it.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Senior Chief

My bad ? I just thought is was the OHC 6 from the description in the original post ?

"The original six-cylinder was changed to a 326 and automatic many years ago"

Dave

389 .030 400ci Tri Power, .068 cam, HO manifolds, M-20 4 SPD, '70 12 Bolt 3:36 Chevrolet posi-traction, Montero Red, Parchment gut, VINTAGE AIR, PFDB, Bilsteins, F&R HD Sways, Hotchkis rear bags, Firestone Indy 500 shoes

"What's the point of owning a muscle car if you can't scare yourself stupid from time to time ?"
Old 08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You could get an I6 in '65, but the OHC6 was not produced until '66.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac jack View Post
Andrew- I'll see what I can do for you.
thank you very much.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:25 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Andrew- I went back and looked at the LeMans again today. By the way, it's a coupe ("post" 2-door), not a hardtop. The rear is a ten-bolt, but I didn't crawl under to look for a tag- more than likely it's whatever ratio came behind a six cylinder and automatic. I also didn't get far enough under it to eyeball the transmission very well- looks to me like the two-speed. The underside looks great- everything painted and detailed nicely. I didn't notice any flaws in the interior or headliner, but didn't spend much time looking. The paint job is quite nice, but I saw two small spots with some cracks- top of a rear fender at the base of the C-pillar, and top of a front fender by the end of the cowl. The brightwork is nice- a few small flaws keep it from being #1 show quality. I sure wouldn't mind owning the car- if I were looking to buy it I wouldn't consider it overpriced (but I haven't shopped for a LeMans, so who knows...).

I'll try to scan and post a copy of the history writeup on the car.

The car's present owner is Mark Case, 585-924-4020. He either works for Heritage Motors or is a part-owner of the business. A call to him should answer any questions you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65_lemans_history0001.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	216761  

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 08-28-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac jack View Post
Andrew- I went back and looked at the LeMans again today. By the way, it's a coupe ("post" 2-door), not a hardtop. The rear is a ten-bolt, but I didn't crawl under to look for a tag- more than likely it's whatever ratio came behind a six cylinder and automatic. I also didn't get far enough under it to eyeball the transmission very well- looks to me like the two-speed. The underside looks great- everything painted and detailed nicely. I didn't notice any flaws in the interior or headliner, but didn't spend much time looking. The paint job is quite nice, but I saw two small spots with some cracks- top of a rear fender at the base of the C-pillar, and top of a front fender by the end of the cowl. The brightwork is nice- a few small flaws keep it from being #1 show quality. I sure wouldn't mind owning the car- if I were looking to buy it I wouldn't consider it overpriced (but I haven't shopped for a LeMans, so who knows...).

I'll try to scan and post a copy of the history writeup on the car.

The car's present owner is Mark Case, 585-924-4020. He either works for Heritage Motors or is a part-owner of the business. A call to him should answer any questions you have.
Thank you Pontiac Jack! I appreciate your help.

thanks for the number as well!