Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
I would welcome that shaker to either of my 71 TA's if they needed them no matter what year the rivits, paint, or dome were made. One has 1/4 panel skins. I suppose it's no longer a 71 or even a TA. My 71 HO 455 formula will some day have 1/4 panels from an esprit. If I sell it, do I have to call it a clone?
Dude your an idiot. The legal parameters of what or how much sheet metal can and can't be replaced/changed on a vehicle and still remain legally titled as a certain model has been well established. You can add espirt quarters to a TA and its a TA. If you add 78 TA fenders to a 71 TA it's a bad resto/non correct TA but if you take everything off of a 71 TA and put it on a 71 espirt, it's a clone.
However, just because you take the paint off a 76 shaker and then call it a 71 dosnt make it a 71. It looks like A 71, it works like a 71. But it's a 76. Use it if ya want but it's not a 71.
Otherwise he couldn't have bought it off the Internet for 70 bucks.
Done with conversation and still looking for correct 71.

Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Senior Chief

^^^^^^^^
your....you're

Feeling the love, but not the grammar in this one.

Peace be with all of you.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
Dude your an idiot. The legal parameters of what or how much sheet metal can and can't be replaced/changed on a vehicle and still remain legally titled as a certain model has been well established. You can add espirt quarters to a TA and its a TA. If you add 78 TA fenders to a 71 TA it's a bad resto/non correct TA but if you take everything off of a 71 TA and put it on a 71 espirt, it's a clone.
However, just because you take the paint off a 76 shaker and then call it a 71 dosnt make it a 71. It looks like A 71, it works like a 71. But it's a 76. Use it if ya want but it's not a 71.
Otherwise he couldn't have bought it off the Internet for 70 bucks.
Done with conversation and still looking for correct 71.

Steve

Merry Christmas dude, enjoy your car, and don't get as much snow as us.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Steve,

Wow, that might look great on the Black Car. Would that be considered "correct" for a 1972 Formula? Maybe a custom paint job, jack it up a little...

If I promised to keep the body side moulding intact, would you offer me a repeat customer discount on the shaker? Maybe free shipping?

I'm sorry, this thread is getting a little too antagonistic. I think everyone is on edge after spending a long "holiday" with their better half and off-spring.

Don't you dare....

Old 12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
still looking for correct 71.

Steve
I have one, but how would you know if it were a 71 or 72? I certainly would not want to sell you the wrong year.

The Following User Says Thank You to Norwood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got me on the spelling

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Steve,

Wow, that might look great on the Black Car. Would that be considered "correct" for a 1972 Formula? Maybe a custom paint job, jack it up a little...

If I promised to keep the body side moulding intact, would you offer me a repeat customer discount on the shaker? Maybe free shipping?
If you did get that hacksaw out, we'd have to rename you BentwheelPoncherello. And I don't think you could handle that kind of stress.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

**** like this is why i'm not on this section much..and dont belong to a corvette forum

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
**** like this is why i'm not on this section much..and dont belong to a corvette forum
Me too. That's why I don't sell things any more here.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Me too. That's why I don't sell things any more here.
Rarely do I sell, but I still buy a bunch if I get here first.

It just isn't worth the effort - I offered a 72 GTO fender extractor a year or two ago in nice original condition with the screen, mounting plate & hardware shipped for $25 and the guy still had a ton of stupid questions & wanted a bunch of pictures. Seriously??? There are times when we would be better off leaving the stuff at the curb for the recycling guy!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
It just isn't worth the effort - I offered a 72 GTO fender extractor a year or two ago in nice original condition with the screen, mounting plate & hardware shipped for $25 and the guy still had a ton of stupid questions & wanted a bunch of pictures. Seriously??? There are times when we would be better off leaving the stuff at the curb for the recycling guy!
What a great idea...here is a local cat deciding whether to stick with his later molded polyethylene litterbox or use this original fiberglass one.

(Just kidding, but this lid does go with the refurbished unit if anyone wants it for posterity sake. It is too crumbled and cracked to be useful)

;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010897.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	345208  

Last edited by njsteve; 12-02-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Some people here need to do a little research and learn a bit more about these cars and the parts that were used. I will post a bit more on this later. Steve is still 100% correct IMHO
Spot on! Some folks are clueless, will leave it at that

Will be ordering some rivets from you Norwood.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The really scary part is getting the rivets seated without going too far and fracturing the fiberglass. And you have thirteen chances to get it wrong around the perimeter of the shaker flange.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve..maybe i can help on the rivit thing, did you know you can rent a rivit set from Harley Davidson service departments? All of their hard saddle bags are glass on steel supports and they use the same type of rivit. If service needs to replace a lid etc, they dont replace the whold saddle bag, just parts..and if they have to paint a saddle bag for warranty, they remove the rivits to prevent paint peeling around the rivit..i believe you can even buy rivits in natural and black....and you can rent those rivit setters, they have adjustable stroke and depth...no need to be scared...

if you do alot you can buy it.. and rent to your friends for a few bux...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info. We ended up using two steel mandrels, with a convex and one with a concave tip, one of which was used as a stand, mounted in a vise, and gently tapping away. It is not something I recommend for the faint of heart...or the highly caffeinated.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a press that sets them by pressure. I have drilled out my share of them and reset them and I've done a few hundred of these rivets. I am going to start an educational thread on 70-72 shakers in the 70-73 section. Look if you care to learn anything, if not just continue to be ignorant. Ignorant isn't an offensive word is it?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Suspended

If the reason some don't sell on these sites is because others want to know the truth about a part & the selling party doesn't want to be honest about a part their selling because it's not what the part is suppose to be then yes I understand why you would not want to sell on this site. People who can't be honest about the parts there selling are the ones who give a bad name to all those who are trying to sell parts that are correct. If it's a made up part or a CLONED part say what it is be honest about your parts. Don't hide the fact that you tried to give your part the best possible chance of being used by those who are will to use made up parts. My car is not stock so I use what ever I need at that point, not to say my car is not great , but I use parts I want to use . Some want the parts to be 100% for there resto because there willing to pay for the correct part, but trying to fool someone into buying a made up or cloned part just to make yourself some money is just fraud & dishonest. Everyone has heard this ---- just do the right thing. You'll sleep better at night if you have a conscious. The last thing I can say is just remember that what you do today will come back to you 2 fold tomorrow.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Really rexs73gto? Did you see the original ad where the link directly sent you to the page where the restoration took place?

Show me any other seller on this site who has done that? The listing could not have possibly been any more open and descriptive than that.

Have YOU ever shown a step-by-step process on how you repaired something prior to selling it? Obviously not.

And you continue to broadcast your lack of knowledge of these components by belaboring the point concerning the fiberglass portion of the shaker assembly. It is the same part regardless of the date it was molded.

If the world followed your magical guidelines, then any item that was installed on a car that had a production date of any other date other than the exact moment the car was built, would be a "cloned part". That would also mean that our sponsor would be guilty of selling these alleged cloned parts because they are in the business of selling parts for the restoration of our beloved cars.

Then again, the term clone refers to an exact genetic duplicate of something whose end result is indistinguishable from the original. So I guess after all this you were actually trying to compliment my efforts and not denigrate them.

And for that, I thank you.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Don't get what the fuss is all about. The same scoop is used for 71-76. The metal bases are different for some of the years, but the scoop is the same identical part and part #.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

steve let it go..anyone that knows you, or sees you on other sites (yes ive seen you around) knows what you are about...no need to keep trying to justify any thing to any one..laff it off...and let it go

The Goat whisperer