Old 09-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Oh, you can bolt a turbo 350 right up to the motor and it clears everything. You can build a very stout T350.
Man I wish '62 blocks had starter provisions... :-(

Old 09-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ64GP View Post
As someone who is restoring a '64 GP, I'm a little biased, but I can give my $0.02. As someone said, the '64 and older GPs have the "Slim Jim" transmission which is troublesome. I've heard stories of people spending over $1,000 to have the trans rebuilt and then to only have the aluminum parts or the case of the trans self destruct, and then the trans is a goer. From what I've heard and read over the last few years of owning my '64, most of them ended up in junkyards or behind someone's house due to either rust or transmission issues. I'm going to be changing my car over a TH-400, like the '65 and later cars. If you were to keep the car and the transmission is a goner, then I'd recommend doing a swap to a TH-400 or a later overdrive transmission.

If the trans is okay and you can get it running, it may be a good car to flip for the right price make a little money. I read an article not too long ago that listed the '63-'64 Pontiac Grand Prixs as one of the 10 most "undervalued" cars of the era and the article said that values are expected to increase in the future. In other words, it was a car to "buy." I won't hold my breath, but if I can sell my car for close to what I have in it in the future when I'm ready, I'll be happy. If you are going to keep it (and it does seem like a very nice example), you'll have to keep it as a labor of love and enjoy it. Not because it can replace your Lemans or because the car will be worth a fortune someday.

Overall, I think they're very cool cars. They have a similar engine and styling to the '64 to '65 GTOs, the luxury of a Bonneville, and the size and room of the Catalina. You can go to car show of 250 cars and only see one or none at all. They stand out in a crowd. The best of everything in my opinion.
I am not holding my breath either. AZ64GP and i are in the same boat (pun intended), spending money on the car because we like the car not because we can turn profit. When my interior is complete (springtime) and paint is on the car (2016-17) it may be worth 20k but cost me 26. I'm good with that!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willshire View Post
I am not holding my breath either. AZ64GP and i are in the same boat (pun intended), spending money on the car because we like the car not because we can turn profit. When my interior is complete (springtime) and paint is on the car (2016-17) it may be worth 20k but cost me 26. I'm good with that!
Be happy !!!! I'd lose about $80k on what I spent on the 63 restoration plus car.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

80k? I wanna ask how but I won't. It just blows my mind that it is possible to spend that on a restoration! Wow! I admire your commitment man!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.