Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't realize about the distances.
That is an obstacle.

If yours cleans up real sweet , runs out great , some new tires -
it should bring you More than i sold mine for.

The first time is the charm though.
Map your strategy if you ever plan to put it on the open market.
Some fine detailing and a few repairs might be cost effective in dividends.

Not everyone wants a Greenie the most .
You like the Red ones
I like the White ones
there has to be a few others besides us.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I totally agree with your statement regarding the BG cars being bastards at the time.

Some time around 1986 - 1988, I was at a show and came across a Brewster Green 73 SD455 automatic. I think it was at the Tom Mack show held at Metrolina fairgrounds, but I'm not sure. I think the guy was considering selling the car at the time, but hadn't made up his mind. I got his contact information and checked back in a week. He said he would sell it, and we made arrangements to meet.

I really didn't like the green, but a decent 73 SD was hard to find, even back then. We met at one of his friend's shops so I could put the car on a lift and see the bottom.

The car was in super shape, interior was excellent. It had been repainted once, and there was a little paint flaking around the front and rear window trim. It ran good, and all of the original components were still on the car. It was heavily optioned as well. The price was reasonable as well, and I had the cash to buy it.

I couldn't get past the color. I went with a friend, and he described it as murky pond water green. I seriously considered buying it and changing the color to red. I reluctantly made him an offer, which he turned down. But he made a really good counter-offer. Still, I couldn't get past the color. I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but the green cars were not very popular in that era.

It worked out for the best, a year or so later I found my red car. It cost me more money but if I had bought the green car, I couldn't have bought the red car later.

Here are some photos of the car. If anybody on the board has this car, I have quite a few pictures of it, circa about 1986 or 1987. They aren't the best. I forgot my camera, but my buddy had a camera and shot a roll of film for me to have developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Back when Poncho-Mike and I bought our 73 SD cars , B.Green was the bastard color to most of the masses. Neither of us even wanted a Green one. But for the right price (low-low) i'm sure we would have pulled a trigger on one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_73_SD455_TA_1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	490856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_73_SD455_TA_2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	490857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_73_SD455_TA_3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	490858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_73_SD455_TA_4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	490859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_73_SD455_TA_5.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	490860  

Old 08-18-2018, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
... I went with a friend, and he described it as murky pond water green.
Lmao @ the good old days !

With todays color enhancements and clear coat - they do look better now.
Especially with Hcombs , Hood Eagle and White Deluxe Int.
I could stomach one in that particular combo now.

Gaithersburgh Md POCI show - 1991 or 92
Took my sweetheart with me and had a swap meet space.
Had already known Ron J. for years - and he'd seen my SD one time in Charlotte.

He comes by swap space - and says his SD is out on the showfield now.
I want to go see it - so she wants to go too.
Walking that way - i tell her its an ultra low mileage 4spd ,,, but its that Green color.
She slows up and stops - " i don't want to walk all the way over there anymore "

hahahhahhahahaaaa

I grabbed her hand and made her keep walking.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's funny how preferences change.

There was another BG 73 SD in the Charlotte area in the 80s. It was missing a few original parts, mainly the intake and carb. It was a nice car, but didn't have a/c.

There was also a very nice BG 73 455 automatic T/A in the Rockingham area around that same time. For some reason, I kept running into BG and white cars more frequently than the red ones. I was dead set on getting a red car.

The paint on the Lucy Blue 70 -72 cars and the BG 73 cars didn't hold up well in the sun. Within ten years, the paint was dull and crowsfooting on all of these cars. I picked up a 1971 Lucy Blue automatic with original paint in 1982, and the whole roof and trunk lid was dull and the paint had tiny hairline cracks in it. The only way the paint held up was if the car was garaged and waxed often.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

call me weird I guess but I have loved that color the most ever since they came out.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everybody has their own preferences. If we didn't, all of the cars would be the same color.

I was 16 when the Arab Oil Embargo hit and gas was rationed. My dad had a garage and his dealers license. You could go to the dealer auctions and buy muscle cars dirt cheap. Everybody was trading them in for Pintos and Vegas. I went to some of the auctions with him in case he bought something and needed me to drive it home. One time a 1971 Panther Pink Hemi Cuda 4-spd came up for sale, but it didn't meet the reserve. It had the large black decal across the rear quarter. I wanted that car something awful, and tried to get my dad to loan me the money. He refused, and told he even if I were able to get the money, he wouldn't allow me to park that car in our driveway. He thought it looked like a "qu**r car".

I think about that car occasionally. Had I gotten it, I would possibly have ended up dead, or a Mopar fan.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
call me weird I guess but I have loved that color the most ever since they came out.
You're not weird - you're just from Oklahoma.
Of all the Pontiac people i have known in NC over the years -
there was only 1 guy who actually liked BrewsterGreen.
And he was originally from ... somewhere else - i forgot.
LoL

Just messing with you M_C , but the story about the 1 guy is true.
haha

Quote:
... 71 Panther Pink Hemi Cuda 4-spd ... had the large black decal across the rear quarter
My old man would have said the same thing.
And i'd probably be in prison for robbing a bank to buy that car.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Poncho Mike. First things first. I understand you want to retire to the mountains. You know cars. Your friends here know cars. Do you know Real Estate???

Do your homework concerning real estate in that area. You don't buy or sell a car without doing your homework. I think you can probably come to a hard dollar figure about your SD. Make sure you know what your getting is worth...REALLY worth. Real estate value just like cars can be really inflated. Just saying man. I think, sell your car and deal in cash. Nothing wrong with doing what you said, just keep your options open. There's always other property's besides your friends.

Pigeon Forge, Tn. Grand Rod Run Spring 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIuGvWWthA

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...d%20Run%202012

Son video'd this...
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...a.mp4.html?o=0
Old 08-19-2018, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I totally agree with your statement regarding the BG cars being bastards at the time.

Some time around 1986 - 1988, I was at a show and came across a Brewster Green 73 SD455 automatic. I think it was at the Tom Mack show held at Metrolina fairgrounds, but I'm not sure. I think the guy was considering selling the car at the time, but hadn't made up his mind. I got his contact information and checked back in a week. He said he would sell it, and we made arrangements to meet.

I really didn't like the green, but a decent 73 SD was hard to find, even back then. We met at one of his friend's shops so I could put the car on a lift and see the bottom.

The car was in super shape, interior was excellent. It had been repainted once, and there was a little paint flaking around the front and rear window trim. It ran good, and all of the original components were still on the car. It was heavily optioned as well. The price was reasonable as well, and I had the cash to buy it.

I couldn't get past the color. I went with a friend, and he described it as murky pond water green. I seriously considered buying it and changing the color to red. I reluctantly made him an offer, which he turned down. But he made a really good counter-offer. Still, I couldn't get past the color. I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but the green cars were not very popular in that era.

It worked out for the best, a year or so later I found my red car. It cost me more money but if I had bought the green car, I couldn't have bought the red car later.

Here are some photos of the car. If anybody on the board has this car, I have quite a few pictures of it, circa about 1986 or 1987. They aren't the best. I forgot my camera, but my buddy had a camera and shot a roll of film for me to have developed.
Nice pics and thanks for posting. What color interior did it have ?

Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1971455HO,

I've been looking at real esteate in the mountains for the last couple of years. I want something near a stocked river with either a nice garage or flat enough land to build a nice garage. I have found what I wanted a couple of times, but it was out of my price range. If I do find something I like, it will need to be appraised because I will finance the balance. I will go through the same process as if I was buying from an individual owner, but the down payment will be the car. This guy really isn't a friend I know well. He is an acquaintance I made around thirty years ago through our mutual interest in cars.

Tellyshavilli,

The interior was light brown, I think it may be called Saddle. If my memory is correct, the car was originally in Alabama before coming to South Carolina. I seem to remember it had an Auburn bumper sticker or parking decal on the window. It was pretty heavily optioned. It had the 80A alternator because it had a/c and rear defog. It also had the rear bumperguards. If anybody on the board has this car, I'll be glad to share all of the pictures I took.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_73_SD455_TA_6.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	490871  

Old 09-02-2018, 12:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just FYI at the Worldwide auction today the SD cars represented well. The Brewster Green 4 speed sold for $210k and the Buccaneer Red 73 sold for over $150k. I didn’t catch the end of the blue 74 but I think it went for just over $90k

All of the cars were beautiful and very, very nicely done

Old 09-02-2018, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a link to their website?

Old 09-02-2018, 06:14 AM
Senior Chief

https://www.facebook.com/61595497331...6446124262332/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Old 09-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
1971455HO,

I've been looking at real esteate in the mountains for the last couple of years. I want something near a stocked river with either a nice garage or flat enough land to build a nice garage. I have found what I wanted a couple of times, but it was out of my price range. If I do find something I like, it will need to be appraised because I will finance the balance. I will go through the same process as if I was buying from an individual owner, but the down payment will be the car. This guy really isn't a friend I know well. He is an acquaintance I made around thirty years ago through our mutual interest in cars.

Tellyshavilli,

The interior was light brown, I think it may be called Saddle. If my memory is correct, the car was originally in Alabama before coming to South Carolina. I seem to remember it had an Auburn bumper sticker or parking decal on the window. It was pretty heavily optioned. It had the 80A alternator because it had a/c and rear defog. It also had the rear bumperguards. If anybody on the board has this car, I'll be glad to share all of the pictures I took.

That may have been the one Dan McKinnon owned in the early 90's - BG auto with a Saddle interior. I drove it one time when I was down there, and took it to a local cruise in show.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-02-2018, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
You're not weird - you're just from Oklahoma.

That's a line that's going to stick!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com...cleID=20&id=65

http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com...cleID=21&id=65

http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com...cleID=22&id=65

Ironically none of the Ram Air IV Judges broke $100k at the auction

Old 09-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Senior Chief

I know the Brewster SD sold for 210k. Does anyone know what the others sold
for?

1948 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet V12. Restored.
1951 Willys Jeepster 6 cyl.
1968 Olds Cutlass W31 Ram Rod. Nocturne Blue, 4spd, stripper
1969 Hurst Olds survivor
1970 Challenger RT Convert . 383 4spd. Plum Crazy/white
1971 Datsun 240Z
1978 Datsun 280Z Black Pearl edition
1983 Jeep CJ7 Renegade
2013 Corvette Gran Sport
Old 09-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

here Is what I had written down in our guide:

70 Orbit Orange Judge Ram Air IV went for $85k

70 Gold Judge Ram Air IV went for $60k

69 Ram Air IV Judge went for $85k

70 Grand Prix $50k

71 455 HO TA (blue) went for $84k

73 SD red went for $155k

73 SD green went for $210k

74 SD blue went for $91k

TATA with 28 miles went for $70k

79 SE 4 speed went for $80k

76 50th Anniv went for $81k

02 Firehawk went for $37.5k

62 421 Catalina SD went for $108k

62 Catalina 425A $46k

62 Grand Prix SD tribute $75k

62 Grand Prix Tri Power $40 something (I think $46k)

63 Grand Prix high $50’s (not positive)

61 Ventura $40k

56 Safari $80k

57 Safari $140k

Delorean $27.5k

Old 09-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

Don't forget about the theft that occurred there yesterday...

70' RAIV T/A Blue/Black 4spd Restored Numbers Matching - $150k. Unreal deal.

Last edited by GREGGDOG; 09-02-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
That's a line that's going to stick!
its good to have friends. lol
Glad you and Gary don't mind a little ribbing - you guys are great.