Old 09-26-2015, 12:27 PM

Thumbs up Need help making decision

I own a 66' Lemans that I love and really don't need another project with a second baby on its way in a few weeks ... But..... I got a lead on a '64 Grand Prix - 27,000miles - 389 4barrell - auto - 8 lug wheels - PB, PS, AC car. Skyline Blue, dark blue interior. All original. It's fair priced for non running.

It's non running but believed to be fuel related because it ran when stored. No problem there, I can handle the engine. Needs tires so I couldn't pull it out to get pics. The paint was dusty but I would say a driver quality 7-10 footer, original paint, maybe nicer but real dusty. No Rust at all. Always kept inside.

The best part is the interior. It's perfect! I mean preserved, all original, nicer than my restored lemans interior.

1. So I'm wondering am I just excited about the find and the story about it being from my hometown and wanting to keep it here or should I just let it go because it's cool but not a rare 421 4speed or 3deuces car?

2. What could a running, low mileage, perfect interior, 6.5 out 10 paint, all original what I would call cool survivor car go for if I gave it some quick tlc and sold it?

3. Are they sought after or would it end up a money pit if I decided take my time & fully restore and cruise for awhile then sell?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	409029  

Old 09-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally...I'd DITCH the Lemans....their just a "kid's car"...right?

Once you drive that 64 GP....driving the Lemans...will NEVER be the same again...The GP is a FAR cooler car..

Full size 60's Pontiacs are NOT a HOT resale item,right now.....so if you buy it...you MIGHT just end up owning it for a while...which is NOT a bad thing...

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 09-26-2015, 01:58 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Personally...I'd DITCH the Lemans....their just a "kid's car"...right?

Once you drive that 64 GP....driving the Lemans...will NEVER be the same again...The GP is a FAR cooler car..
Not so sure about that, it would be a cool car to cruise in with the family, I love the dare to be different cars. Especially big 2 door cars but I'm only 32 and still love em fast & loud, my KRE headed stump puller cammed 461 in my show winning 300 foot burnout leaving 11 second street car Lemans fits the bill nicely in the cool department for me

Old 09-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

64 is kind of a tough year, some people don't like the healight design vs the 63 or 65, also the 63 and 64 GP's in general don't sell that great. I see them go for around 10 in "good" condition. If this one is as stated with low miles and that clean, it could be worht more once ready to go. If you pass, I would not mind a crack at it

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 09-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Senior Chief

I would keep both but if I had to choose between the two the GP wins for me.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmokc View Post
Not so sure about that, it would be a cool car to cruise in with the family, I love the dare to be different cars. Especially big 2 door cars but I'm only 32 and still love em fast & loud, my KRE headed stump puller cammed 461 in my show winning 300 foot burnout leaving 11 second street car Lemans fits the bill nicely in the cool department for me
Sounds like you don't need much help here.....

If you haven got past the smoky burnout stage yet....the GP will be far too NICE for you too enjoy...

Let somebody else have it that understands what a COOL car is all about...

From a flippers perspective...it's prolly NOT a money maker...

Old 09-27-2015, 03:14 AM

What... So I shouldn't do this to it (see pic below), to compete with my cousins car.

Seriously though he brought this rusted beat up Fairlane back from the grave. I couldn't do that to a low mile, original car like the GP in question, even though it would be awesome!

I will be passing on it but I know someone that's interested, if that doesn't work out I'll post on here when I put it in the for sale section for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	409105  

Old 09-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What... So I shouldn't do this to it (see pic below), to compete with my cousins car.

Seriously though he brought this rusted beat up Fairlane back from the grave. I couldn't do that to a low mile, original car like the GP in question, even though it would be awesome!

I will be passing on it but I know someone that's interested, if that doesn't work out I'll post on here when I put it in the for sale section for them.
That looks more like a Galaxie to me...and I quite like it with the bug catcher sticking out of the hood.....

.But those big Fords look pretty TAME...and need all the help they can get...to be COOL....

On the OTHER hand...the 64 GP looks TOTALLY cool...just the way it came out of the box...

Will your 11 second lemans get around that 64 Galaxie on the track?

If it does 300' burnouts....you MAY have a traction issue.....or perhaps that's operator error?...................

Old 09-27-2015, 10:39 AM

Dohhh, I know that. His wife's car is the Fairlane. And no, that's a Hampton 14-71 blower sitting on top of 600 cubic inches. My car does burnouts because I built it that way, streetcar with street tires and stock style suspension.

I got on here looking for advice and was overwhelmed by the helpful response when building my Lemans.

I came to this section asking questions about a big car and now think 2manyT/A'S is trolling around trying to get a response from me. Thanks but no thanks, looks like a good day to go drive my car!

Old 09-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Me TOO!

Old 09-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks, looks like a good day to go drive my car!
What kind of response did you expect? Asking B body guys which one was the best choice? WE already know the answer to that one. Much cooler doing a burn-out from the inside of a GP than a Lamnas.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pass- neat car but almost certainly a money pit unless you score it for free or scrap/parts value. I like full size cars (and even own 2 Full size project cars) but don't let emotions get in the way of potential purchases.

Interested in what you consider "fairly priced".

Old 09-27-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
What kind of response did you expect? Asking B body guys which one was the best choice? WE already know the answer to that one. Much cooler doing a burn-out from the inside of a GP than a Lamnas.
My only questions were, if I should pass on it, how much do they bring and if they are sought after. The only mention of my lemans in the beginning was that I owned one and didn't really need another project. I was willing to take on another project if it was a potential great find and worth building, enjoying and eventually selling. I guess there was some confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
Pass- neat car but almost certainly a money pit unless you score it for free or scrap/parts value. I like full size cars (and even own 2 Full size project cars) but don't let emotions get in the way of potential purchases.

Interested in what you consider "fairly priced".
Thanks that what I was needing to hear.

I realize now after doing some researching that the "fair price" they are asking is indeed very high compared to what's out there for the shape it's in. I saw two running, clean & fairly low mileage units for sale for what this non-running one was for sale for.

I know they are emotionally attached, I will ask them to research comparable cars, come up with a reasonable price and I will post it when they do.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you got the car for $5k, you MIGHT be able to sell it for a profit after you got it running. There is no getting $ out of these cars. Only putting it in.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-28-2015, 09:24 AM

Interesting. Sounds like a nice car. It would demand a much higher price this side of the pond I have to say. Maybe these cars are more desirable over here. Either way, I know the Scandinavians would love it.
Then again as a 64 GP owner, I am slightly biased.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd rather have a nice original '64 Grand Prix than a restored '66 Lemans..

BTW - 64's are prone to transmission problems. If you get it running...and it actually moves... The transmission will eventually go out from sitting so long...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation the DarkSide is calling...

Quote:
1. So I'm wondering am I just excited about the find and the story about it being from my hometown and wanting to keep it here or should I just let it go because it's cool but not a rare 421 4speed or 3deuces car?

2. What could a running, low mileage, perfect interior, 6.5 out 10 paint, all original what I would call cool survivor car go for if I gave it some quick tlc and sold it?

3. Are they sought after or would it end up a money pit if I decided take my time & fully restore and cruise for awhile then sell?
My $0.02...Or at least what I would do in your position...

0) BEFORE YOU TRY TO START IT (in this order):
- Remove all the spark plugs (note which hole they came from) and spray ALL the cylinders for at least 5 seconds with WD-40. Let it sit for a day.
- Change the oil and filter
- Rotate the crankshaft (1/2" drive breaker bar/extension/6-point socket) at least one revolution.
- RE-spray the cylinders with WD-40 and wait a day.
...do the following while you're in the above holding pattern:
- Top off the power steering reservoir.
- Confirm that there's at least some ATF on the trans dipstick.
- Drain the radiator as best you can and refill with new coolant - leave the in the "on but not pressurized" setting (no need to blow out a marginal heater core just to see if it'll run!).
- Disconnect the fuel pumps INLET line and feed the engine.
- Install a known-good battery and see if it will crank without plugs; if it spins freely (non-seized engines without plugs DO) have a friend test for spark on all cylinders.
- Resintall plugs (clean 'em up if needed, note any with oily/coked build-up).
- Provide a remote fuel source using a 1 gallon can of FRESH SUPER unleaded (so that all that old varnish -I mean gas- doesn't prevent an otherwise runnable engine).
- Let US know how it went. (seriously!)

1) If nothing else, you may be able to make a few hundred on it if you buy it, bring it home do the above and:
- WASH it inside and out
- air-up the existing tires

2) Who cares - if you can make a fast $500 for a weekend of tinkering...after all, you said you have a kid on the way. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

3) Very original, low-mile, so-called "survivors" are sought after. Don't make any changes to it, including spraying any touch up paint. Just clean it and present it for what it is.

Congrats on the incoming kid and the find.

Please keep us posted, will ya?

Old 09-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

As someone who is restoring a '64 GP, I'm a little biased, but I can give my $0.02. As someone said, the '64 and older GPs have the "Slim Jim" transmission which is troublesome. I've heard stories of people spending over $1,000 to have the trans rebuilt and then to only have the aluminum parts or the case of the trans self destruct, and then the trans is a goer. From what I've heard and read over the last few years of owning my '64, most of them ended up in junkyards or behind someone's house due to either rust or transmission issues. I'm going to be changing my car over a TH-400, like the '65 and later cars. If you were to keep the car and the transmission is a goner, then I'd recommend doing a swap to a TH-400 or a later overdrive transmission.

If the trans is okay and you can get it running, it may be a good car to flip for the right price make a little money. I read an article not too long ago that listed the '63-'64 Pontiac Grand Prixs as one of the 10 most "undervalued" cars of the era and the article said that values are expected to increase in the future. In other words, it was a car to "buy." I won't hold my breath, but if I can sell my car for close to what I have in it in the future when I'm ready, I'll be happy. If you are going to keep it (and it does seem like a very nice example), you'll have to keep it as a labor of love and enjoy it. Not because it can replace your Lemans or because the car will be worth a fortune someday.

Overall, I think they're very cool cars. They have a similar engine and styling to the '64 to '65 GTOs, the luxury of a Bonneville, and the size and room of the Catalina. You can go to car show of 250 cars and only see one or none at all. They stand out in a crowd. The best of everything in my opinion.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
If you got the car for $5k, you MIGHT be able to sell it for a profit after you got it running. There is no getting $ out of these cars. Only putting it in.
That's about what I was thinking, 4-5K. Never did hear what they were asking for it??

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I built my 1964 GP the way I wanted it and it's a very enjoyable car to drive. BUT it ain't cheap! Doing your Tempest will be way cheaper but not as much fun. How many big Pontiacs do you see compared to A bodies? If you want a cruiser it will do that. If you want to pull the front wheels when you leave the line it will do that too. BUT again it ain't cheap. Decide what YOU really want not what someone else says. If you decide to fix the car good luck. Oh, you can bolt a turbo 350 right up to the motor and it clears everything. You can build a very stout T350.