#221  
Old 03-26-2021, 12:38 PM
eaglesan13 eaglesan13 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,521
Default

Jeff,

There are two sandlewood's. The lighter of the two is the tan color (which GM called medium sandalwood) that was used on the seats and interior trim panels. The darker sandalwood was used on the metal part of the dash, the metal panel under the rear window, the dash pad and filler panels, front kick panels and front floor console.

The paint formula for the darker sandalwood will include an additive which is like finely ground sand, I think they call it "suede." When added to the paint, this will make the texture of the painted surface feel like very light sandpaper, I believe this was to reflect glare, which is why the darker color was used on the metal panel under the rear window, even though it seems as though this part should be the lighter color in order to blend with the upper inner quarter trim panels (which are the tan color). The textured paint is only used on the metal dash and the metal panel under the rear window.

There has been some discussion as to which color was used on the rear package tray, the lighter color or the darker color. I'm not 100% sure which is correct, but I used the darker color on my car because I thought looked the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post

Also, are there any other areas besides the top of the dash that should get sprayed with the Sandalwood color?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9440.int2.done.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	563372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9437.int.done.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	563373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9452.int4.done.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	563374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9808.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	563375  

__________________
1971 Formula, 455HO/RA, M22 four speed, 3.73 posi, Lucern Blue/Black deluxe

Last edited by eaglesan13; 03-26-2021 at 12:47 PM.
  #222  
Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM
Gator67's Avatar
Gator67 Gator67 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,291
Default

Thanks Chris! I forgot about the piece under the rear window. I actually just re-read the email you sent me back in 2013 where you described what you did with your interior (including paint codes, etc). This, along with the paint sample and carpet swatch you sent me last year, will be huge help.

__________________
"If the best Mustang is the Camaro, the best Camaro is actually the Firebird" David Zenlea
  #223  
Old 03-26-2021, 09:30 PM
keith k's Avatar
keith k keith k is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post

There has been some discussion as to which color was used on the rear package tray, the lighter color or the darker color. I'm not 100% sure which is correct, but I used the darker color on my car because I thought looked the best.
My sandalwood interior TA still has the original paint on the metal piece across the bottom of the back window, and it is the dark sandalwood color.

__________________
keith k
70 Trans Am RA III / T400 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
70 Trans Am RA III / M20 / Lucerne Blue / Sandalwood
70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
  #224  
Old 03-27-2021, 12:50 PM
eaglesan13 eaglesan13 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,521
Default

Keith,

I agree that the metal piece across the bottom of the back window should be the dark sandalwood. What I was referring to was the actual package tray itself. Some people told me that the package tray should be the lighter color, while others said it was the darker color. I seem to recall I got the lighter one and didn't like it, so I bought a darker colored one and used that one. However, it was so long ago that I built that car, I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
My sandalwood interior TA still has the original paint on the metal piece across the bottom of the back window, and it is the dark sandalwood color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9840.19.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	563476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9808.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	563477  

__________________
1971 Formula, 455HO/RA, M22 four speed, 3.73 posi, Lucern Blue/Black deluxe

Last edited by eaglesan13; 03-27-2021 at 01:05 PM.
  #225  
Old 04-06-2021, 09:23 PM
Gator67's Avatar
Gator67 Gator67 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,291
Default

Now that Randy's making progress with the body, it's time for me to get organized and figure out what I'm missing.

Starting with the upper half interior trim, I found what I think are the correct windshield pillar moldings and headliner side moldings. I'm less confident about the other pieces, which I assume may be the upper windshield and rear window trim. From the photo, do these look right?

I think this just leaves the sail panels. Are these all the same for all 2nd gen f bodies? If not what are the differences?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1836D.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	564230  

__________________
"If the best Mustang is the Camaro, the best Camaro is actually the Firebird" David Zenlea
  #226  
Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 PM
keith k's Avatar
keith k keith k is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Now that Randy's making progress with the body, it's time for me to get organized and figure out what I'm missing.

Starting with the upper half interior trim, I found what I think are the correct windshield pillar moldings and headliner side moldings. I'm less confident about the other pieces, which I assume may be the upper windshield and rear window trim. From the photo, do these look right?

I think this just leaves the sail panels. Are these all the same for all 2nd gen f bodies? If not what are the differences?
Yep - looks like you've got the right stuff.

I believe all the sail panels from 70-74 are effectively interchangeable, although I think there were some subtle design changes through the years (someone more expert than I am in the 73/74 cars may know otherwise). '75 and later are of course different because of the back window wrapping around.

__________________
keith k
70 Trans Am RA III / T400 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
70 Trans Am RA III / M20 / Lucerne Blue / Sandalwood
70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
  #227  
Old 04-06-2021, 10:10 PM
keith k's Avatar
keith k keith k is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Keith,

I agree that the metal piece across the bottom of the back window should be the dark sandalwood. What I was referring to was the actual package tray itself. Some people told me that the package tray should be the lighter color, while others said it was the darker color. I seem to recall I got the lighter one and didn't like it, so I bought a darker colored one and used that one. However, it was so long ago that I built that car, I'm not 100% sure.
Ah, got it. Yes, based on the few original sandalwood cars I've kept pictures of, the darker color on the package tray is what appears to be correct. (Presumably for the same reason the dash top is darker... it reduces glare on bright days)

__________________
keith k
70 Trans Am RA III / T400 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
70 Trans Am RA III / M20 / Lucerne Blue / Sandalwood
70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
  #228  
Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 AM
HWYSTR455's Avatar
HWYSTR455 HWYSTR455 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 13,128
Default

I have some 73/74 sail panels, the sail panel has a cutout area, which I think is for the shoulder belt mount? I've seen same year cars with and without the hole, so maybe it's a plant thing?

EDIT: No idea the source of this sail panel though.
.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail19.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	564244  

__________________
.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 461, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
1972 442 W-30 Tribute (495 stroker aluminum heads upgrade in progress)
442 Build Thread:
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...e-project.html
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by HWYSTR455; 04-07-2021 at 07:34 AM.
  #229  
Old 04-07-2021, 12:41 PM
Gator67's Avatar
Gator67 Gator67 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,291
Default

I believe at some point prior to 75, the coat hook moved from the roof to the sail panel (along with a bezel), so that probably explains the hole in yours HWY. The other consideration is that at some point the headliner changed from bows to the one-piece deal. I'm wondering if the sail panels are the same for both types of headliners, and if not, did the change occur prior to or after the change with the coat hooks? If prior, this would mean there might be three different sail panels for 70-73; no coat hook hole, coat hook hole, coat hook hole one-piece headliner.

__________________
"If the best Mustang is the Camaro, the best Camaro is actually the Firebird" David Zenlea
  #230  
Old 04-07-2021, 12:47 PM
Gator67's Avatar
Gator67 Gator67 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I have some 73/74 sail panels, the sail panel has a cutout area, which I think is for the shoulder belt mount? I've seen same year cars with and without the hole, so maybe it's a plant thing?

EDIT: No idea the source of this sail panel though.
.
By the way, your theme song is responsible for the arthritis in my left hand! Some people make that solo look so effortless.

__________________
"If the best Mustang is the Camaro, the best Camaro is actually the Firebird" David Zenlea
  #231  
Old 04-07-2021, 12:55 PM
HWYSTR455's Avatar
HWYSTR455 HWYSTR455 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 13,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I believe at some point prior to 75, the coat hook moved from the roof to the sail panel (along with a bezel), so that probably explains the hole in yours HWY. The other consideration is that at some point the headliner changed from bows to the one-piece deal. I'm wondering if the sail panels are the same for both types of headliners, and if not, did the change occur prior to or after the change with the coat hooks? If prior, this would mean there might be three different sail panels for 70-73; no coat hook hole, coat hook hole, coat hook hole one-piece headliner.

Kind of why I'm asking, I plan on going to the late-73-74-up type headliner, ABS type headliner, and trying to figure out the trim pieces. I prefer the sail panel without the hole, I never use the coat hooks anyway. Think I will start a separate thread....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
By the way, your theme song is responsible for the arthritis in my left hand! Some people make that solo look so effortless.
Heheh! Heck yeah! Wish I had a dollar for every time I would hang with folks back in the day in garages as they practiced that lick! Although that link is a live version, it a mix of clips edited into one, but at least it is all clips from them doing that song!

.

__________________
.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 461, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
1972 442 W-30 Tribute (495 stroker aluminum heads upgrade in progress)
442 Build Thread:
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...e-project.html
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
  #232  
Old 04-07-2021, 01:04 PM
Gator67's Avatar
Gator67 Gator67 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Kind of why I'm asking, I plan on going to the late-73-74-up type headliner, ABS type headliner, and trying to figure out the trim pieces. I prefer the sail panel without the hole, I never use the coat hooks anyway. Think I will start a separate thread....




Heheh! Heck yeah! Wish I had a dollar for every time I would hang with folks back in the day in garages as they practiced that lick! Although that link is a live version, it a mix of clips edited into one, but at least it is all clips from them doing that song!

.
Lazy is just as tough for me.

__________________
"If the best Mustang is the Camaro, the best Camaro is actually the Firebird" David Zenlea
The Following User Says Thank You to Gator67 For This Useful Post:
  #233  
Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 PM
R 70 Judge's Avatar
R 70 Judge R 70 Judge is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,238
Default

I just came across this thread for the first time. Keep it up! Loving the build

__________________
James
'63 Tempest Street Car - 505ci IA2 Highports with a Victor - Dynoed 797hp @ 6800 / 707tq @ 5100
Cage, steering, suspension, and everything else that's bad ass by Funkhouser Racecars in San Diego
  #234  
Old 04-08-2021, 04:07 PM
Gator67's Avatar
Gator67 Gator67 is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Scottsdale
Posts: 1,291
Default

Had Roland Hall rebuild the original hood hinges a couple years ago. He did a great job. Sheetmetal fit looking OK so far. Next up is the bumper and valence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	564317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	564318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1838.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	564319   Click image for larger version

Name:	front hood.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	564320  

__________________
"If the best Mustang is the Camaro, the best Camaro is actually the Firebird" David Zenlea
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.

 

About Us

The PY Online Forums is the largest online gathering of Pontiac enthusiasts anywhere in the world. Founded in 1991, it was also the first online forum for people to gather and talk about their Pontiacs. Since then, it has become the mecca of Pontiac technical data and knowledge that no other place can surpass.

 

Cold Case Radiators

Cold Case Radiators is a Max Performance company that produces high end aluminum performance radiators at a price point that won't break the bank. Polished and stamped tanks. 2 rows of 1" tubes. Lifetime Warranty.

GTOG8TA.com

GTOG8TA.com is a Max Performance company that manufacturers parts for the 04-06 GTO, 08-09 G8, and 93-02 Firebird/Trans Am platforms.

Copyright © 2017