Old 04-09-2023, 03:13 PM

Default Replacement brake booster

It appears these are hard to come by anymore. I see a ton of aftermarket "hot rod" ones out there for A-body cars, but nothing really for our B body cars. I see a rebuild kit from OPGI that would possibly work I guess. This is a 66 Catalina Wagon. I know there is one on brakeboosters.com, and although I'm sure it's very good, I just don't think I can spend $419 on one yet.

Anyone have any ideas on possible substitute boosters that can be modified to work? Or is rebuilding them not too bad?

I currently have drum brakes. Considered going to disc brakes down the road, but I don't know when that will be.

I assume it's the booster anyways....installed a new check valve as my old one was broken and when the car is running it wants to suck the pedal down quite a ways. I figured something is wrong inside the booster and air is getting to where it shouldn't.

Old 04-09-2023, 04:51 PM
Senior Chief

Send it to Booster Dewey. He rebuilt mine for 63 GP.

Old 04-14-2023, 03:36 PM

Doing the front scarebird conversion on my 1964 Catalina right now and used a s10 booster. The only modification needed is to shave the rod down so the ubolt can be welded in at the right spot to connect back up to the pedal.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use "Master Power Brakes" boosters on both my 1962 Bonneville and my 1964 GP. Not real expensive and worked well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio View Post
Doing the front scarebird conversion on my 1964 Catalina right now and used a s10 booster. The only modification needed is to shave the rod down so the ubolt can be welded in at the right spot to connect back up to the pedal.
Are the 64 and 66 the same booster? I’ll have to check part numbers. My bolts on the booster are 3.5” spacing center-to-center. Same measurement on the bolts for the master cylinder too.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I use "Master Power Brakes" boosters on both my 1962 Bonneville and my 1964 GP. Not real expensive and worked well.
Not to get too far off track. But when you went to the Master Power brake booster on your 62 Bonneville: I assume you also converted to a dual master cylinder at that time. The 62's have that weird integrated booster and master cylinder piston that is part of it. You also did away with the extra external vacuum canister in the left inner fender?

Old 04-17-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio View Post
And what year of S10? I assume an older one…80’s?

Old 04-17-2023, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I convert to dual masters on all my cars. The storage can is not needed. I'd remove it if it came out easier.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I convert to dual masters on all my cars. The storage can is not needed. I'd remove it if it came out easier.
That's right. I remember we talked about that a while back. If you ever decide to pull the inner fender and remove the tank, I am interested in it still. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2023, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

mgarblik

Need one of those vacuum cans? PM me an address and I'll send you one. But I won't come and install it. Got some stuff I need to get rid of.

Old 04-23-2023, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
And what year of S10? I assume an older one…80’s?
1985-87 BK code.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:12 PM

I have my 64 grand prix rebuilt booster for sale (ad in for sale section. I am replacing it with a 9 inch, dual vacuum one (generic). I'm going with a Corvette style disc/drum master.
Mario64

Last edited by Mario64; 04-23-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario64 View Post
I have my 64 grand prix rebuilt booster for sale (ad in for sale section. I am replacing it with a 9 inch, dual vacuum one (generic). I'm going with a Corvette style disc/drum master.
Mario64
Thank you, but I actually just found a remanufactured stock replacement on RockAuto. They've been listed as sold out for quite some time and just for the heck of it I "signed up" to be notified when they were back in stock. 3 days later I get an email that they are back in stock...when I went to RockAuto it showed 1 in stock on a manufacturer closeout. Bought it and waiting for it to show up .

But I'm curious about your Corvette conversion. Did you just buy the combo of the generic booster with a master cylinder? I'm interested where you ended up buying from. I've seen maybe something like this on eBay? Just thinking ahead to down the road when I eventually consider converting to disc brakes. I've only checked out the options from Master Power Brakes.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:19 AM

good morning:
i purchased it from power brake exchange in san jose, ca. the same company that has rebuilt my boosters for the last 20 years. they have also furnished the booster/masters that i have used during that time for various builds. i like to keep my local shops in business rather than going to the big box companies.
good luck.
mario64