Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Drove the car to a cruise night event last night and I can honestly say it has never run better or smoother. I am guessing the smaller primaries are just the happy place driving around town. If fuel injection is nay smoother than this it must be crazy good. Off idle stumble is gone and no more surging at steady part throttle. It is turbine smooth and the throttle is much more responsive under normal driving.

The mechanical secondaries are instantaneous and it's hard to say, but I think the car accelerates a bit harder than before based on seat of the pants. I am really happy with this change. I went through a Street Avenger and a Quick Fuel Slayer and though they were fine but the more I drove them, the more they bothered me under normal driving. Foot to the floor, they performed just fine.

Since I was unsuccessful flaring the Nicop line, I gave up. My feed line terminates in a 3/8" Tube Nut (bubble flare). I bought an adjustable fuel line (12-1/2" centers on the feeds on this carb) and put a 3/8 FIP to 3/8 inverted flare female to accept the fuel supply tube nut. The tube nut leaked like a sieve. It should have sealed without the O-ring as it did in the past when I had a similar inverted flare 3/8 x 5/16x5/16 T
which used 5/16" tube nut hard lines for the dual feeds out. I hate to be reliant on an O-ring for a seal but it is what it is.

For you guys that have done a lot of brake line plumbing, is it a normal practice to have to use an O-ring? Like I said, the old setup never leaked just with the tube nuts and bubble flare ends in the female inverted flare fitting.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to seal a Bubble flare against a Inverted flare? why not just have the tube with a Double Flared end? Never had any O=ring on a brake fitting.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:28 PM
Boost Engineer

"..........and Holley Carb coloring not up to Tom V's Standards ..."

1) Holley has gone Bankrupt several times.

2) The Federal Government has passed several laws that outlawed the old plating process that Holley and others used. (That is why a lot of the Holley carbs are ALUMINUM vs the Zinc material Holley used for years to cast up the carbs.)

3) So I apologize if you were bothered by the historical comment I made about the plating on your spreadbore carb.
It is, what it is, but at one time (in the old days) Holley carbs were very pleasing to look at.

So I wish you well on getting a proper fuel line put together so you do not have a fire hazard.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
Hard to seal a Bubble flare against a Inverted flare? why not just have the tube with a Double Flared end? Never had any O=ring on a brake fitting.
Me neither which is what has me stumped as it didn't leak before when connected to a brass T with a female inverted flare. I don't like cobbling something together like that and relying on an O-ring for a seal.

I borrowed a Flare tool that looked just like the one I used when I did all my brake lines and my old fuel line setup. It had no clamping pressure and just pushed the tubing through the clamp with no flare. I guess I will have to buy one and try it on the existing flare and see. I'll shoot a pic of the end of the line I am calling a bubble flare ... it's probably a double flare as I remember flipping the tool over and using the cone to form the inside flare after forming the "bubble" with the insert on the flush side of the tool.

This is what I had on there (inverted flare female T) but couldn't reuse due to fuel inlet spacing and the I wanted to upsize the lines from 5/16". I temporarily connected a new 3/8" T w. Female inverted flare connections and used Inverted Flare male fuel line hose end fittings and hose. Every connection leaked like a sieve. I found the fuel line fittings ran out of threads before bottoming out and sealing. The sealing surface inside of the brass block T is identical to the inside of the inverted flare fitting I now have on it. The flare nut threads in and bottoms out, but leaks around the fuel line so isn't sealing. I put in the O-ring and the leak stopped immediately.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 07-11-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Final followup. Redid the inside flare on the line and all seals tight without the O-ring. During one of the R&R iterations, the flare must have gotten slightly compressed.