Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-22-2023, 03:06 PM

Default Oil Filter Recommendation

In the Wix world 5xxxx filters are oil filters.
3xxxx are fuel filters. 4xxxx are air filters. Etc.
There are some exceptions.

Napa filters just eliminate those digits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Old 04-22-2023, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Bosch 3423 is a good filter if your tight on room. I use them a lot never had a issue.

Old 04-22-2023, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WIX 51049

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Pa...px?Part=154643

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 04-22-2023, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
WIX 51049

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Pa...px?Part=154643

Thanks, so leave your by pass in the adapter.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Did you eliminate your factory by pass ?
Its good to know that they make a stock type by pass filter. Kind of like the old HO recommended Lee filter. Thanks for posting.
What is the part number for the Fram Racing Pontiac filter you run ?
I had been running the short HP5 to clear headers. I just installed a remote setup and run the taller HP1. I had previously blocked the oem bypass with the HP5, but of course no bypass with the remote block.

The HP series are definitely not like the cheaper fram line. Made in USA, and I have cut several open- quality material throughout, heavy duty case, etc. It is hard to pull the media away when inspecting filter. Uses a high flow media, so they do mot recommend the filter for daily drivers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 04-22-2023, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Well. I thought I would buy a HP2 and cut it apart and look at their construction. They are not being made anymore and you can not find them.
K&N makes a cross reference but has no by pass.
Wix make a cross reference, 51049. I ran the 1049 for years.
Anyone know what the 5 stands for ? Does it have a built in by pass ?
That info is not on WIXs website that I found anyway.
Fram still makes HP 4 and HP 1 racing filters. I just bought both a month ago.

HP4 is the same as HP2 but has a build in screened bypass that releases at 35psi.
HP 2 was designed originally for Pontiac, Olds and Buick that had bypass as part of the block/adapter housing while HP4 was originally for Chevrolet that does not have a bypass built into the motor and needs the filter to have the bypass.

So if you block the bypass on your Pontiac filter housing and run a Fram HP 4 racing filter you get a screen bypass that releases at 35 psi.

I went remote mount dual filter, so that meant HP 1 filters( Ford, Mopar) with 35psi internal filter screened bypass.

link to Fram racing filters below. if you check you find that the Fram Racing filters are a pretty good product.
https://www.fram.com/products/oil-filters/racing

Old 04-22-2023, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
The Bosch 3423 is a good filter if your tight on room. I use them a lot never had a issue.
Agreed. Have run those as well in my daily driver and used the 3423 in buddies gto. The Bosch Distance series also have a high burst strength. I have cut the Bosch in half and they look good. Cannot say that for the ACDelco I had in the Duramax. Swithed over to Mobil 1 filters for it.

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 04-23-2023, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Fram still makes HP 4 and HP 1 racing filters. I just bought both a month ago.

HP4 is the same as HP2 but has a build in screened bypass that releases at 35psi.
HP 2 was designed originally for Pontiac, Olds and Buick that had bypass as part of the block/adapter housing while HP4 was originally for Chevrolet that does not have a bypass built into the motor and needs the filter to have the bypass.

So if you block the bypass on your Pontiac filter housing and run a Fram HP 4 racing filter you get a screen bypass that releases at 35 psi.

I went remote mount dual filter, so that meant HP 1 filters( Ford, Mopar) with 35psi internal filter screened bypass.

link to Fram racing filters below. if you check you find that the Fram Racing filters are a pretty good product.
https://www.fram.com/products/oil-filters/racing
Not sure you can buy one at the moment. If you know of some place that has them in stock please post up a link.
I tried half a dozen sites, all out of stock. And even on Frams site it says "Use until inventory is depleted".
Looks like its being discontinued to me.
The HP2 is the filter for say a 63 Catalina, big car. I found out about Wix,s 1049 after their part number for 69 GTO 1258 was out of stock. Nappa had 1049 in stock, I looked at it and it was 1" longer. And I thought if it fit with my Hooker headers I would go with it. Just fit so that was what I used. Bigger filter= better, less by passing going on I thought.
So it looks like Fram will stop making the HP2 and go with the shorter HP5.
Does anyone know where the factory by pass starts to by pass ?
Now the K&P filter had a less than 1lb pressure drop in a Pro Stock engine in testing. I am sure they used very thin oil but with only 1lb pressure drop it would not by pass at all. K&P offers extremely high flow rate and by pass or no by pass options.
So plug your by pass and run their filter with a by pass built in and that would be IMO about as good as you can get for a spin on filter.
They even have Bobs The Oil Guy links on their site and mention some customers prefer using their filter combined with the by pass type of filters that Sirrotica recommends so highly.
So these guys know what they are talking about. Seem to cover all the bases.

Fram, looks like the HP5 is all we are left with.

https://kandpengineering.com/primer-on-filtration/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 11-09-18 FRAM.png
Views:	59
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	611287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 11-09-44 FRAM.png
Views:	46
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	611288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 12-09-31 Primer on Filtration – K and P Engineering.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	611289  

Old 04-23-2023, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Not sure you can buy one at the moment. If you know of some place that has them in stock please post up a link.
I tried half a dozen sites, all out of stock. And even on Frams site it says "Use until inventory is depleted".
Looks like its being discontinued to me.
The HP2 is the filter for say a 63 Catalina, big car. I found out about Wix,s 1049 after their part number for 69 GTO 1258 was out of stock. Nappa had 1049 in stock, I looked at it and it was 1" longer. And I thought if it fit with my Hooker headers I would go with it. Just fit so that was what I used. Bigger filter= better, less by passing going on I thought.
So it looks like Fram will stop making the HP2 and go with the shorter HP5.
Does anyone know where the factory by pass starts to by pass ?
Now the K&P filter had a less than 1lb pressure drop in a Pro Stock engine in testing. I am sure they used very thin oil but with only 1lb pressure drop it would not by pass at all. K&P offers extremely high flow rate and by pass or no by pass options.
So plug your by pass and run their filter with a by pass built in and that would be IMO about as good as you can get for a spin on filter.
They even have Bobs The Oil Guy links on their site and mention some customers prefer using their filter combined with the by pass type of filters that Sirrotica recommends so highly.
So these guys know what they are talking about. Seem to cover all the bases.

Fram, looks like the HP5 is all we are left with.

https://kandpengineering.com/primer-on-filtration/
I double checked the gasket is in the wrong place for the HP 4 to fit on a stock Pontiac housing, we do need HP 2 if you want a long filter and it will not have an internal bypass.

It also looks like they are discontinued and mostly out of stock
Did find these guys in Canada with some don't know how many?
https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...arts/fram/hp2/

Last edited by nas t eh; 04-23-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Many consider the the WIX 51049 a 'long' filter at 5.178"

https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Ex...x?PartNo=51049

Old 04-24-2023, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
I double checked the gasket is in the wrong place for the HP 4 to fit on a stock Pontiac housing, we do need HP 2 if you want a long filter and it will not have an internal bypass.

It also looks like they are discontinued and mostly out of stock
Did find these guys in Canada with some don't know how many?
https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...arts/fram/hp2/
Not in stock there.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a thought... do we "need" the tall filter for anything but the all-out race engines? Or will the HP5 do just fine? I suppose more oil will theoretically go through the filter bypass if the media cannot handle it all.

For a short time I ran the small Bosch 3423 Distance filter with no bypass in filter and plugged bypass on oem adapter. Oil pressure was great and media held up fine. Seemed like maybe I was asking for trouble if the media did collapse so started running the HP5, which is larger diameter than the Bosch.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If interested in WIX filters...

Short: 50145
'Regular': 51258 ( similar as the Delco PF-24)
Tall: 51049

Same filters available at NAPA

Unless a specific brand matters. NOT !

Old 04-29-2023, 09:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How about Baldwin B9 long or B39 short?

Old 04-29-2023, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the car is a dedicated race car, put an Oberg filter in it and change the oil very frequently. The Oberg will tip you off to any deterioration in engine health by catching any foreign particles, no restriction to speak of. No cutting up filter canisters to see what's in the filter.

You have a choice of screen pore sizes to catch as fine of particulate as you see fit. They should be examined after every outing to check engine health. Most people that have dedicated race engines use this type of system to keep on top of their engines, most oval track racers use this type of system. In your first post you state you want a racing oil filter, the Oberg is designed for race engines, full flow canister filters (no matter whose name is on the side of it) are not what I call a race oil filter.

https://www.obergfilters.com/applications/

If you want an oil filter that catches everything in the oil on the first pass, a by pass filter will remove everything down to 5 microns. It comes down to what you want, and need, in your particular application. Neither the Oberg, nor a by pass filter will restrict flow to the internally oiled engine parts.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 04-29-2023 at 10:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 10:02 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks Sirrotica

Old 05-03-2023, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If the car is a dedicated race car, put an Oberg filter in it and change the oil very frequently. The Oberg will tip you off to any deterioration in engine health by catching any foreign particles, no restriction to speak of. No cutting up filter canisters to see what's in the filter.

You have a choice of screen pore sizes to catch as fine of particulate as you see fit. They should be examined after every outing to check engine health. Most people that have dedicated race engines use this type of system to keep on top of their engines, most oval track racers use this type of system. In your first post you state you want a racing oil filter, the Oberg is designed for race engines, full flow canister filters (no matter whose name is on the side of it) are not what I call a race oil filter.

https://www.obergfilters.com/applications/

If you want an oil filter that catches everything in the oil on the first pass, a by pass filter will remove everything down to 5 microns. It comes down to what you want, and need, in your particular application. Neither the Oberg, nor a by pass filter will restrict flow to the internally oiled engine parts.

Gosh I haven't heard of Obergs in ages. Years ago when I raced Mopars we used an engine builder for parts who recommended Obergs for use on the Hemi's and Big Blocks when racing them (as well as street).
Thanks Sirrotica for bringing back memories!

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/