Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 02-17-2016, 05:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I recall an old MCR article on the GTOAA Nationals. One of the events was a visit to a local dyno where they had a '66 389 Tripower doing pulls. It had paper filters on it. Someone asked if the K&N was worth anything so one of the visitors went out to his car and took the K&N filters off it and they put them on the dyno engine. It picked up 10hp.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How do the replacement paper filters compare to the original equipment foam filters? I'd assume the foams flow better than the paper.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
I searched and found some taller K&N Filters, but they are about $100 for just the filter. I may end up using one of them, but would be interested in hearing about some cheaper options, if there are any.

Tom(or anyone), do you know where I can get a cast aluminum blank base in 21" X 10" size?

Tom, could you post(or link to) photos of your setup on the Pontiac Carbs?
Taller Tripower foam filters available if needed send a PM .

Old 02-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Based on the numbers in previous answers to this thread, there is a loss of about 5 HP with the stock small air cleaners with paper filters. I didn't see any results using the foam filters. B-man's and CarbKing's comments about the large big-car air cleaner are interesting. CarbKing's comment about .2 second loss with small air cleaners means there is a considerable loss of HP with the filters they used in that test.

In any case, when running at a drag strip, no filters always yielded better ET's than paper of foam small air cleaners. If you listen to K&N's claims, you're led to believe that they provide better performance/gas mileage than no filter at all. That's not likely.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Boost Engineer

I have purchased the heavy aluminum cast bases from the Ford Thunderbolt web sites and think that Tony Branda has the best selection of Oval Air Cleaner parts to start with.

http://www.cobranda.com/aircleaners.html

http://www.cobranda.com/1x4ovairclbo.html (That base is only $50.00 plus shipping) see attached picture.

Make a similar thickness plate to fill in the 4 bbl hole, weld it it place, and water jet or cut out the carb round holes for the Pontiac tri-power carb spacing.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 dollar cast aluminum base..jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	421462  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.