WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default '04-'06 GTO.....Not a Failure

My post in the Lobby Section of Forum.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...23#post2882023

I primarily post in the ’70 – ’72 GTO section of the PY Forum. And I don’t own a new GTO. However, I am tired of people “bashing” the new GTO. Shame when our own (Forum members of older GTO’s/TA’s) “bash” the new GTO (I tell these people….go drive one). With that I thought I would post positive comments about the new GTO in this section of the Forum.

When you compare the ’04 - 06 GTO to the ’02 – 06 BMW M3, the GTO is the WINNER. There were 36,427 GTO’s produced during the 3 year run, around 12,000 cars per year. BMW produced 40,467 M3’s during a 5 year run from ’02 thru ’06, approximately 8,000 cars per year.
(GM really needs to understand these production numbers are excellent for a halo car)

Performance
0 to 60mph …… BMW M3 approx 5.0 sec vs GTO 5.3 sec (and that is time from ’04 model)
¼ mile ………BMW M3 approx 13.5 sec. vs GTO 13.8 sec (again ’04 model)
(With a little bit of tweeking, I’m sure and ’04 can be tuned to beat BMW M3)

Price
BMW M3 …… approx $49,595 for 2006 model
GTO …… approx $32,000
(GTO owners still have change to spare)

Fun Factor
I vote for the GTO over an M3.
(American V8 exhaust sounds a hell of a lot better than a German in-line 6)

For all of you ’04 thru ’06 GTO owners on this Forum, next time you see an M3, go blow the doors off of the Bimmer and let the automotive press know that you just beat their “Benchmark Performance Car” with your $32K GTO.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Senior Chief

Nice post. There's nothing I love more than feeling & hearing the power & sound of a big V8. I've owned my GTO for two years now, and I still giggle like a little schoolgirl whenever I get behind the wheel. It's one hell of a car, and it's a blast to drive.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don’t own a new GTO, but have had the opportunity to drive an ’05 model. In the marks history, Pontiac has never produced a car as fast as the new GTO.

As you may have read, I got beat up pretty bad over there in the Lobby section of the forum with the post. I guess these guys just don’t understand the performance value of the new GTO. To each his own, some people get their grins from searching for correct date coded spark plug wires for their old GOAT (been there and done that before), while most of you guys with new GTOs probably get your grins every time you take your car for a spin and blow the doors off of an M3. I give that a big thumbs up!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the post, it's good to hear.
I know where you're coming from, if some of these people would drive one of these cars maybe they would stop hating.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 AM

I'm new here. Have owned 3 Pontiacs in the past (67 bonneville,catalina and a 72 Grand Prix). Have always been a Pontiac fan. After years away from the hobby I decided to buy the 06 GTO. This car is awesome. I love driving it. I sold my 99 Jag Xk8 for the GTO. These are great cars. Mine is a daily driver. Always get a wave from fellow owners. Its got a great following from its owners. I love driving it every day.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard, these are great cars. Mine is also a daily driver, it's one of the most comfortable cars I've driven. I love mine.
Congratulations on a wise purchase.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Senior Chief

i just spent a day in my friend's 04 after i put a cat back on it for him. all i can say is dayaaamn. I want one! power delivery is smooth and uneventful but wicked fast. handles and breaks great. quiet, comfotable, stylish, great mileage
what more can you ask for
IMO the 04 was an exact rebirth of the 64. a regular, midsize car with a big honkin V8 and a few little styling cues. The 64 gto was a far different animal style wise than say a judge. yea compared to the gto i think the new crustang looks better but which would you rather have?
i'll have to go with the goat.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 AM

Default UPGRADE for an '05 or '06 GTO

I own an '05 GTO M6 and I've been doing a bit of research on how to make the GTO essentially unbeatable on the road. Add an Eaton supercharger. Magnuson puts out a complete bolt-in kit for just under $6300.00 that will really make these cars unbeatable. This is about the price of a good engine rebuild with a bit of go-fast upgrade for the older cars, but will still not get them up to the level of the later ones with this addition. Everything else about the new GTOs is above and beyond the older cars (I have a restored '70 455 HO, 4 speed with A/C and disc brakes) so this supercharger addition would simply be the best money spent to upgrade an already great car - nothing else needed unless you intended to drag race the car on the strip. But for the street - WOW!
Just my opinion. This is the kit that Lingenfelter Performance is installing on their REVENGE Lingenfelter Signature customs you see advertised in High Performance Pontiac magazine.
Have fun!
Frank
Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 AM

I just got my '04 out for the first time this year a couple of days ago. I bought the car in late November of last year and put it away for the winter that same day, so you can imagine how good it felt to finally be able to really drive the car after such a long wait. All I can say is WOW!!!! This car is absolutely unbelievable to drive. I can't get the grin off my face. I've had alot of older Pontiacs (still do) and this is by far the best car I have ever driven. And as far as the people who say this car doesn't deserve to wear the name are concerned, you are entitled to your opinion (as am I) but let me say this car does the GTO name proud!! Both times I parked the car yesterday I had people instantly coming over and checking it out, not bad for a car that supposedly has no image, and there was not one negative comment to be heard. I love this car and everything about it!!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 AM

I take mine to the local cruise night, I always get folks coming up to me and asking about it.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior Chief

Welcome to the herd ridgegoat and 75ta4spd. I've had my GTO for 2 years and can honestly say the fun and the big grin don't wear off.

Post up some pics in the other thread.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if you think a GTO comes close to a M3. i really am disappointed if you.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey
if you think a GTO comes close to a M3. i really am disappointed if you.
Ladies and Gentlemen, May I please have your attention? In attendence is the world reknown M3 expert. Will you please share your vast knowledge with us?
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 05-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

never said i was an expert.
yes straight line performance the GTO(with a good driver bc of tire spin) will win. but you know whats better in all other aspects.
build quality
chassis rigidity
handling lol
interior quality
looks(JMO)
sports one of the best engines ever built
confidence inspiring (especially 120mph+) and turns
track performance
safety(not even close)
Amazing Stability and ABS for inexperienced drivers or just good for a daily driver…lets face it we can’t always give all of our focus to driving, that stuff helps especially in rain or avoiding a crash
girl getting points
Old 05-11-2007, 06:40 AM

Isnt the M3 going for $50k - $60k depending on options? I would never think to compare the two cars, apples and oranges.

IMO, folks buy the GTO because its a GTO, Its got powers, great comfort, and you can have loads of fun modding it. Lets not forget the muscle car history behind it (Pontiac), All those reasons are why I got it. I've owned plenty of cars (BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, RX7). I enjoy this car more then all the rest for what it is. IMO
Old 05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

you can at least see my point. its like comparing a vette to a 911 GT3