Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 05-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rebuild kits?

Can anyone recommend kits they were satisfied with? Going to try rebuilding my own and see how it goes. I've done AFBs so I'll give it a shot

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the Tomco kits. They use the disc-type needle/seat assy. which I've found to be more reliable than the conventional setup. I've used over 100 kits with zero trouble with needle/seat leakage or failure. As those of you know who use conventional needle/seats, the failure rate on startup is about one in three--usually dirt that interferes with proper seal and the result is flooding.

Let me know if you need info on numbers and distributor. Or, PM me and I can send you the kits.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-16-2016, 04:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would never use anything but the original style and sizes inlet valves.
Unfortunately non of the commercial available kits containes the correct, .086", size inlet valves for the 1959-66 end carbs.
Fortunately these are available at Walkerproducts.com
Also they have the kits for all three carbs, but you need to order the outer carbs inlet valves separately.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use parts from Walkerproducts.com Their carb kits are high quality, but contain the conventional needle/seat. The kits from Tomco are also high quality and contain the disc-style needle/seat assy.

As stated in my previous post, conventional needle/seats have a poor record of reliability. The slightest fragment of dirt at the inlet will result in gas overflowing the carburetor. We've all heard of the "fix" of tapping the inlet fitting with a plastic screwdriver handle to dislodge the dirt--especially on startup of a freshly restored Tripower when there is a greater likelihood of debris in the fuel system--in spite of the filter.

I can't think of a reason to NOT use a better-performing inlet valve for Tripower rebuilds. There certainly is not a problem with inadequate flow vs. the ".086"" original needle/seats. With Tripowers, we have THREE needle/seats controlling flow of fuel vs. only one that supplies the whole fuel requirement on a Quadrajet.

As I've stated---I've had ZERO problems with the Tomco 555 inlet valve, but MANY problems with conventional needle/seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'62 Tripower Vacuum Linkage 001.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	428524  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I restored my 1966 TriPower 1996, 20 years ago, no leaks due to the factory style inlet valves.
The reliability is good enough, i would think.

And, i´ve lost the numbers on Tripowers i´ve restored since, 57-58 Olds, 59-60 Cadillac and nearly most years Pontiac, all set up with factory style inlet valves.
Not one complaint.
In some of them i found the Tomco style inlet valves and here the complaint were always flooding carbs.

Also, using the generic size,.119", (std. in 1966 center carb) inlet valves in outer carbs, is asking for flooding.

Use whatever style and size inlet valves you feel comfortable with, but i would say, you
can´t go wrong with the factory style and sizes.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kenth,

Your experience and mine are exact opposites. I will stick with the Tomco disc-style inlet valves. I have quite a few of the conventional needle/seats on the shelf---never installed.

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Discussion on the wafer (disc) valves, as well as the cause of failure on new O.E. style valves:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Fuel_valves.htm

We have bought out a lot of shops, some of which used the wafer valves. We separate the brass seat from the aluminum plunger and wafer. Each is then placed in the appropriate barrel for recyling. Same is true for the 2-ball valves. We once recyled several thousand of the 2-ball valves from one shop.

Barrierblue - if you use the wafers, make certain the float drop is correct!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I DO appreciate ALL the input but I don't think I can come to any conclusion on which way to go right now. Flip a coin?

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
I would never use anything but the original style and sizes inlet valves.
Unfortunately non of the commercial available kits containes the correct, .086", size inlet valves for the 1959-66 end carbs.
Fortunately these are available at Walkerproducts.com
Also they have the kits for all three carbs, but you need to order the outer carbs inlet valves separately.
Kenth - our custom kits for the 66 tripower do contain, among other components:

30-3 (2) fuel valve end carbs
30-13 fuel valve center carb

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 AM

Default Needle/Seat

This is my first post and thanks in advance for help answering a question. Currently working on my 65 tri-power, the end carburetors are blocked off and I’m working on the center carburetor only. I installed a rebuild kit that I procured thru Mike Wasson and am ready to move forward on installing the end one at a time. The car is running well mainly due to repeating what others have done successfully.
Dick I have followed both you and carbkings advice and I have been able to get my power piston and idle screws setup correctly. So before I go any further this is what I have on the end carburetors. Is this type OK or will I have problems?
Regards,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	needel seat.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	428619  

Old 05-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's the style I use, but, as you've read, some disagree. They prefer the conventional two-piece needle/seat.

My advice would be to use the needle/seat in your picture, but recognize some don't agree. If it was my setup (I use these valves on both my wife's and my '64 GTO Tripowers.

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-17-2016, 02:40 PM

Dick,
10-4 thanks for the quick reply. Read the thread where you referenced setting up a 64 Tripower for a 389 with a mild cam--(stump puller) on a dyno with 8 coils cut off the power valve spring. My engine is a (stump puller) as well and removing 8 coils from the power valve spring solved my idle problem. My motor runs like a bat out hell now and idles great so it’s time to see what happens when I add the end carburetors one at a time.
Bob

Old 05-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Some" prefer the conventional two-piece needle/seat is just about every US carburetor manufacturer, Rochester, Carter Holley, Stromberg, Ford/Autolite.
How can you go wrong with the OEM style inlet valves?

And, i have never seen the "disc style" inlet valve in other carbs than the crappy rebuilt carbs with the TOMCO sticker on it, and some poorly functioning units handed to me for maintainence.

Jon at Thecarburetorshop is one of very few vendors, i know of, that has the correct parts in their TriPower kits.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've restored more than a hundred Tripowers, beginning in 1981. Nearly every startup, with standard needle/seats, resulted in at least one of the three carbs overflowing. I used both the metal needles and neoprene/fluorelastomer soft-tipped needles. Usually, a tap on the inlet area of the carb with a plastic screwdriver fixed the overflow--until the next piece of dirt caused another overflow.

About eight years ago, I began using the TOMCO kits that contain the disc-type inlet valves. I've not had ONE leak on the dozens of Tripowers I rebuilt during that eight years.

You can tell me all you want about using "original" needle/seats---My experience is what pointed me in the direction of the TOMCO kits. And, that's what I will continue to use until I see a failure. My customers have been very satisfied with the units I've restored.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2442.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	428651  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Kenth - our custom kits for the 66 tripower do contain, among other components:

30-3 (2) fuel valve end carbs
30-13 fuel valve center carb

Jon.
Jon, do your custom kits for end carbs contain the original style vented throttle body gasket or the later closed gasket?
Wich one is prefered with todays gas?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kenth - we use whichever gasket Rochester used BY CARBURETOR TAG NUMBER!

I really like the line Tom V. has in his signature "Engineers do things for a reason!"

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Tro...ttlebodygasket

Dick - I am certain that you are very conscientious in the manner in which you set float drop, and therefore have no issues with the wafer valve. Others are less so, and the wafer can give problems if drop is not set properly. We have had MANY customers in the past with this issue. Of course, flooding can also occur with the conventional fuel valve if the "rebuilder" places the valve keeper in the wrong hole. We have had a few with this issue as well.

Jon.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kenth - went back and reread your questions, and realized I did not answer the second part.

I would always suggest starting with the correct gasket.

BUT

If the carb were being used on a non-stock application, OR someone had put the aftermarket "one size fits nothing" throttle body on the carb, OR if the price of tea in China increased, OR if I had an automatic transmission and was experiencing hot idle or low RPM stall or rough running in city traffic......I would at least try the slotted gasket.

Since the primary purchase of the slots was to reduce pressure in the venturi area at idle or off-idle very hot conditions, I could see it is possible that the slots MIGHT help a rich bog condition when the end carbs were engaged.

But I would always at least start with what the engineers designed.

Jon.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Kenth - we use whichever gasket Rochester used BY CARBURETOR TAG NUMBER!

I really like the line Tom V. has in his signature "Engineers do things for a reason!"

Dick - I am certain that you are very conscientious in the manner in which you set float drop, and therefore have no issues with the wafer valve. Others are less so, and the wafer can give problems if drop is not set properly. We have had MANY customers in the past with this issue. Of course, flooding can also occur with the conventional fuel valve if the "rebuilder" places the valve keeper in the wrong hole. We have had a few with this issue as well.

Jon.
Jon, yes i agree with the Tom V. line.
So, what could the reason be that made the Pontiac/Delco engineers replace the vented #7015106 gasket with the closed #7015345 gasket in the 1959-66 Pontiac end carbs as noted in United Delco Bulletin 9C-608 Page 1 Date, May 1967 (Replaces, 9C-614, Nov., 1960).
Those were the ONLY Tripower end-carbs that got the closed gasket, ALL the others retained the original vented gasket.
And, i guess the tag numbers on each carb would be the same as the
carburetor numbers found in the Delco Manual #9, before and after the change of gasket.
I have not found they´ve changed the tag number due to the gasket update?
If you need a Tag/Carb-#, lets say i need a throttle body gasket for my 7024178-79 end carbs, what gasket do i get from you, and why?
Thank you, Kent

Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
Jon, yes i agree with the Tom V. line.
So, what could the reason be that made the Pontiac/Delco engineers replace the vented #7015106 gasket with the closed #7015345 gasket in the 1959-66 Pontiac end carbs as noted in United Delco Bulletin 9C-608 Page 1 Date, May 1967 (Replaces, 9C-614, Nov., 1960).
Those were the ONLY Tripower end-carbs that got the closed gasket, ALL the others retained the original vented gasket.
And, i guess the tag numbers on each carb would be the same as the
carburetor numbers found in the Delco Manual #9, before and after the change of gasket.
I have not found they´ve changed the tag number due to the gasket update?
If you need a Tag/Carb-#, lets say i need a throttle body gasket for my 7024178-79 end carbs, what gasket do i get from you, and why?
Thank you, Kent

Why???

Because that is the latest factory specification that I have for that carburetor; and I have no reason to disagree with what Rochester specified.

I have less "insider" information on Rochester than on Carter or Stromberg. What I do have is basically from 1949 ~ 1957. Newer than 1957, I have I believe all printings of the 9X sheets up to and including 1975. After that, I don't really care. I try to use the very latest specifications in all of the kits.

That lack of insider information contrasts with Carter and Stromberg, where I have custody of pretty much everything (public and insider) that still exists. I knew many of the Carter engineers, and visited Carter a number of times. Rochester was a wee bit far away for a visit.

EDIT - WHY did Rochester make the change??? I DON'T KNOW! But I am going to speculate. The following is absolute pure speculation on my part: I think the change was made because Rochester was devoting too much non-productive time in explaining why they used the slots in the first place!!! If you have ever opened one of the sealed Rochester orange, white, and black jiffy kits (VSR-nnn single barrel, VTR-nnn two-barrel, and VFR-nnn four barrel) you know there was a piece of yellow paper entitled "WARNING" The gaskets in this kit are correct for the application - USE them. That is not an exact quote, but close enough. Since we started producing kits, I have had many hundreds of hard-headed "mechanics" argue that the slots create a vacuum leak (which in of itself is sufficient to suggest they were in the wrong vocation, as the slot is ABOVE the throttle plates....therefore NO vacuum leak)! I have been called every name imaginable except gentleman by some of these individuals. I finally (with authority from Rochester) copied the original bulletin and placed it on my website:

But there was no internet in the 1960's (Al Gore had not invented it yet!). So Rochester would have had to answer mail and I am certain, they got a lot more than I.

Again, the above is speculation, but I would wager I have spent close to a thousand hours in the last 40 years trying to explain the slots! Wonder how much time Rochester expended?

Jon.

Last edited by carbking; 05-31-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Vented

I have had no problems on my 66 Tri-Power carbs with the Vented Gaskets (which I feel is factory correct).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carb base gasket - OEM Correct, Vented.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	429601  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.