Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacmonstr View Post
i have a 94 crew cab fors 1 ton single rear wheel. pulls fine. stops great. only has a 5.8 gas motor. open trailer hauling a car gets 9 mpg. 24 enclosed loaded only got 6 mpg. thirsty for sure either way. the longer the truck the better it rides. i swear by fords! power stroke would be best but more money all the way around. pontiacmonstr
I'm with you on the Fords; the 351 Ford is a fine engine; it's weak spot is the mains will pull out around 750-800 horsepower; heres a stroker version I built for a client with home made "girdle" so far, it's held together.
My cousin & I towed a Bobcat and our trailer (about 7,500 lbs) behind his behind his 6.0 Chevy (the white truck to the right) it was struggling up the steep hills in the Ozarks.
When we went back to get the other Bobcat I had enough and took the 7.3, when it comes to towing a heavy load you cannot beat a diesels low end grunt. It flattened the hills with no problem. The Fords chassis seems to be much more stronger for heavy loads.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.

Last edited by 455Grandville; 10-05-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't mind the racket get a Dodge or a Ford.
The Duramax is quiet. Every truck has it's faults and good points. Don't tow with a 1/2 ton truck, it kills the truck and as mentioned may not be vert safe. Stopping power and stability are much more important.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge