73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Header installation, 75 GA, quick question

While all the front sheetmetal and inner fenders are off, i figure this is grand time to put headers in. Quick question: is worth buying some header wrap to keep the temps down around the firewall, or is that a waste of time?

Also, any tips/pitfalls before I do the install would be great. I bought Summit's house brand on the recommendation of another GA owner.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had them I used allen head cap screws to attach them to the heads. Lot easier than trying to get a wrench in there. I also had to remove both angle braces on the frame. I assume you already have a double hump crossmember.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Header wrap is a huge no-no for a street driven car...it will be a magnet for oil/grease/moisture and you know what comes next...dirt. Additionally, I have read (and saw the pictures to prove it) about header wraps on street cars causing the primary tubes to rust out prematurely...probably from the condensation that builds up when the engine cools off which keeps the wrap moist until the next heat cycle. If you need to keep heat down, put some dynamat under the carpet. Personally, I've never had issue with heat on A-bodies with headers...it's the 2nd gen. F-bodies that have always cooked my feet.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Headers

Sorry to hijack the thread. I wanted to let the '73-'77 people know that I am selling my round port headers from my GA. They were custom built for the car. The size is 1-7/8 - 2" tubes. They are ceramic coated as well. They are listed on the forum under parts for sale. Thanks.

1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.