The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-20-2005, 10:27 AM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

Bump

Old 03-21-2005, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, how I would love to have been in a class like that one. Those kids will learn a ton before that car is finished.
As I was following the posts, I was wondering if you were going to have a problem with the older kids knowing that they'd be gone by the time that car is finished. My thinking was that they'd want to come back and continue working on it after graduation.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:41 PM
"Teacher

Honestly, the older students could'nt care less. They thought auto shop was going to be an easy grade, but the from the moment they learned they would have to wear coveralls, they have been unenthused.They also found out that it is NOT an easy grade. These older students are white collar kids from overseas who have never known what it is like to get their hands dirty. That is one of the main functions here, to teach pampered kids a work ethic. When some get home, dad will buy them a new Lexus...or maybe even a restored GTO.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:22 PM
"Teacher

Today we cut out the trunk frame, rear window extension panel, package tray, etc., and replaced it with a section from another lemans. We used the trunk hinges from the new one as well, cutting the brackets at their seam and rewelding. Right now, it is only tacked into place. Tomorrow, we'll try to get it right and finish the job. Then maybe some pics of the "graft" job.Lots o' hard work. The kids are being troopers and love to watch 'Ol Crusty's "crust" fall to the ground, replaced by non-rusty metal.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Take a look at these two cars. Might be some part available. And you can't go wrong with a Convertable. And they are with in a days drive to pick up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...537098846&rd=1

Old 03-24-2005, 07:24 PM
"Teacher

The location is about four hours away, certainly close enough to pick up.If I had the three grand that these will go for in the end, I'd be on it. Convincing the school treasurer and exce committee to part with that kind of money in one lump is another story. Thanks for thinking of us. That's really thoughtful.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow... ambitious project, but learning opportunity abounds. Wish my school had something like that. I'd even love to do it today.

Funny thing about learning - most people don't realize the value in it until their opportunities pass them by. Most of us spent time in HS, college, etc. doing enough to "get by", only to find a true desire for learning later on in life when you have little time or opportunity to take advantage of this new motivation.

Keep those young 'uns at it! They are doing a great job!

Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 AM
"Teacher

Good news! A student from Oklahoma State, who is earning his way through college by restoring and selling GTOs, has agreed to donate a date coded 1969 400 block. Thanks, Zack!

We have strripped the doors down and have decided that we will reskin the driver's door, while the passenger's side door is perfect (yay!) with no bondo, rust or dents. The original color of the door was yellow and was probably replaced when the right side was repaired for damage.The front fenders are the same, left side is iffy, needing a patch panel and some filler work, but right side is awesome.Just welded in the Lemans holes and ground down nicely.
We are also glass beading all the suspension and small parts for repainting.
The current direction of the project is that we are restoring the parts and collecting more parts. We are holding off on doing much with the body shell, still hoping to find a real GTO body for a bargain price or donation. But there is still plenty to do, believe me.