Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-31-2023, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Open Diff recommended lubrication

Anyone have a preferred product they use in their 1968 open diff rear ends? 100K miles on the unit, 10 bolt.

Synthetic or conventional?

And ... what's the typical amount needed for a drain and fill without disassembly?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2023, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2 bottles will do the drain and fill. I fill until fluid drips out then let it continue dripping until it stops. I like 80W-90 WT. GL5. Not a fan of 80W-140 in this application although I doubt it would matter. I use Valvoline or Pennzoil, because that's what my NAPA store stocks. NAPA branded is Valvoline. Synthetic or dyno oil doesn't really matter. Limited slip cone style, I use dyno based only. Have had some slippage with synthetic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

+2

Pretty much what I do here and I do NOT seek out "special" oils or synthetics for this sort of thing.

I use plain old 80W-90 from NAPA, Rural King, TSC or Walmart and whatever is on sale they day I happen to spot it. I do add a few ounces of Lucas oil additive to EVERYTHING here right down to my gas powered power washer.

Never once had a single issue anyplace with anything, especially diff's, and I make it a point to be especially HARD on them!.......FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I do add a few ounces of Lucas oil additive to EVERYTHING here right down to my gas powered power washer.
Reminds me of how I've become addicted to Marvel Mystery Oil. Lol!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2023, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Off topic but I gotta throw this in here ( I think it's ok to tangent my own thread )

So I bought this 18 year old cub cadet lawn tractor to abuse on the new TN property. Had a problem with dieseling badly on shut down. Did a complete tuneup on it, same thing on shut down. Tried various tractor forum suggested cures, shut down after idling to let it cool, shut down under load, shut down part throttle, shut down with choke etc.

One guy said to run some Sea-Foam in the fuel to decarbonize it, that it had hot carbon in the chamber causing the dieseling. Ran it hard with some Sea-Foam in it .... problem solved. Thing purrs like a kitten, shuts down smooth as can be.

Also ... recently made the 2200 mile rd trip to TN in my GMC truck, had new plugs, wires, oil change .. all the usual. Also put a QUART of Techron in the tank (first time ever in about 95k) ... when I got back from the trip it felt like the truck has 30 extra HP, noticeable difference in the way it runs.

Point being ... yeah, sometimes additives DO work.