THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by post toastie View Post
have you seen this car on craigslist https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/c...278963601.html
That looks like a nice car to clean up and drive...

Old 02-25-2021, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposter View Post
that steering wheel/column is making me nervous
I remember not being very fond of the 3/4" Ø solid steel shaft running from the steering box to the wheel in my 66 442 for this exact reason.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
If I can't find a Pontiac frame, what other GM frame will work? I've heard a few different answers but I think after everything that the only other frame that works is from a Buick A-body. I don't have the resources or inclination to rework another brand. If I can't find one locally, then it's off to Searchtempest. I did see a company in Texas, I believe, that has a stack of frames. So with such a wholesale change, maybe I'll put a convertible frame under it, if I can find one.
"64-'67 frames will work, perhaps others? There is a difference in the rear spring perches so the rear springs may need to be changed. I am about to send a nice'64/'65 gto frame from here to Marion Illinois so if you can't find one elsewhere there is a frame for you right there. If you think you may be interested in that frame pm me and I will give the new owners name. I traded this frame to him for a '62 full size frame and he is going to sell it so it will be available. I have no idea what he will want for it you will have to deal with him on that.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hollander #1248

Tempest 1964-65 exc. conv.
Tempest 1966 exc conv. & 4dr. HT

Old 02-22-2022, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update: The Great Pontiac Tempest Custom Rebuild begins

We've bought a car to rebuild our beloved '66 Tempest Sprint. I've been scouring the Web day and night since we decided to keep the wreck, mostly finding that there's nothing out there for a project car. And prices? Forget about it. So I'm feeling fortunate in finding a car that's close to my location.

Here's the car. I ended up paying about 4000.00 US for it. It being a local car saves us the ridiculous shipping and brokerage fees. So add that 4000.00 to the 1300.00 US that we gave to the insurance company for the wreck, and you've got my gross expenditure so far. Not counting storing everything, of course.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1599558855

To say that the car is basic is a bit of an understatement. But there's still a heck of a lot of good parts on the wrecked car, including a complete red interior, a lot of the body and trim, and of course the drivetrain. Everything else we can sell after cannibalizing the wreck. And we can also sell the gold interior, etc. from this car. Stuff like that is unobtainium around here and people pay crazy money now for Pontiac parts. And it looks like I will now have 5 engines. So some selling can happen there as well. In fact, that has to happen.

It's going to be slow going at first. So this could take a while. But it appears that we are on our way.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you did great there. I would have started with that car for a project without a thought for $4000. Whole frame already blasted and painted, sheet metal looks great (no salt up there??). I think if you were starting in the US and had to find all that in different lots you'd be in $8,000 by the time you gathered it all up.

Congrats ... first step on the way to the crash being a distance memory.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like a great base to resurrect a Cammer.
Looks like lots of bits that can be sold off to offset some of the cost as well.

Best of Luck!
Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the data plate.

I'll start another thread in the appropriate section when we have the car in our driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new tempest data plate.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	584718  

Old 02-23-2022, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Hopefully, the Trim Tag from your Cammer can be saved.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you did alright if the car is as solid as it looks, $4000 USD's doesn't buy much car these days, I have seen rusty non runners sell for more money than you paid for it. Hopefully it all works out well for you and your cammer will be resurrected from the dead!!!!!

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)