THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The other 3 clients who had their identities stolen had completely false returns created. The only thing the thieves used were the names and SSNs. My fake return had my income down to the dollar and the sources it came from. The fake return even had an identity theft pin number on it! I mailed my paperwork to the IRS today via priority mail with a tracking number. I just have to wit and see what happens next.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
The other 3 clients who had their identities stolen had completely false returns created. The only thing the thieves used were the names and SSNs. My fake return had my income down to the dollar and the sources it came from. The fake return even had an identity theft pin number on it! I mailed my paperwork to the IRS today via priority mail with a tracking number. I just have to wit and see what happens next.
The likelihood of THREE clients of your tax preparer getting their mail stolen is very, very, unlikely, IMO. I'm betting the security leak came from the Tax preparer.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The likelihood of THREE clients of your tax preparer getting their mail stolen is very, very, unlikely, IMO. I'm betting the security leak came from the Tax preparer.
I don't think they stole their mail. My tax lady said they had false returns filed in early February before the clients came in to have their taxes done. So those were just random thefts of names and SSNs. The fake return filed in my name was done in early May. I mailed my true returns in early April which leads me to believe they were stolen out of the mail or by someone at the IRS.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question

Quote:
I would love to meet the trash that did this to us and at least three other filers that use the same tax preparer we do.

You already know them, and they're close to you. A relative or other friend have a key to your house, or has done housesitter duties in the past?

Credit and identity theft like this almost always shakes out to a relative or close friend.

Think it over.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-11-2020, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I havn't mailed a hard copy of any documents that are financial or personal, in ten years. My last ten years of tax filing has been online through a government portal. I do not get cheques mailed to me, direct deposit only.

Fifteen years ago, had my identity stolen and my life was a nightmare for 5 years. The police detective and the government security person both explained I had to move all the stuff electronically instead of by mail.
My life insurance was cancelled, couldnt get car and house insurance, mu credit rating was in the ditch, under water and dead.

Since then, no issues.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:22 PM

If you feel that it may have been stolen from the mail, contact your local Postal Inspection Service. You can find the contact information at usps.com and look at the bottom of the site for the Inspection Service.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
I havn't mailed a hard copy of any documents that are financial or personal, in ten years. My last ten years of tax filing has been online through a government portal. I do not get cheques mailed to me, direct deposit only.

Fifteen years ago, had my identity stolen and my life was a nightmare for 5 years. The police detective and the government security person both explained I had to move all the stuff electronically instead of by mail.
My life insurance was cancelled, couldnt get car and house insurance, mu credit rating was in the ditch, under water and dead.

Since then, no issues.
Glad you got your life back. Hopefully, I have headed off any more aggravation by locking my credit and filing reports with eevryone I can think of.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something is fishy. I mailed my paper work to the IRS by priority mail. I tracked it and it said delivery was attempted at 3:30pm Saturday the 13th but it couldn't be delivered ( I am guessing the IRS office was closed) It went on to say that it would be delivered the next business day which was yesterday, Monday the 15th. It wasn't delivered yesterday or today! I guess I will go to the post office tomorrow and talk to the postmaster.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think technically the IRS is "closed" or at least operating with limited staff. I know my boss has been waiting for his refund for a couple of months now.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I think technically the IRS is "closed" or at least operating with limited staff. I know my boss has been waiting for his refund for a couple of months now.
Has he used the "Where's my money" site at the IRS to see if they have it? Mine kept coming back saying the information was incorrect. So, I opened an account at IRS.gov and that is when I found the false tax return in my name.
I don't think the IRS is closed as I was told to mail the paper work to them.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't think the IRS is closed as I was told to mail the paper work to them.
Mail boxes aren't in covid lockdown like front doors of buildings.

Essential employs probably use a secure side door to get in and out.

Clay

Old 06-17-2020, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was a false alarm. I went to the local post office this morning and told them the package had not been delivered. The Post Master got on her computer and found that it had been delivered Monday but wasn't marked delivered. It had me worried for a little bit. Now, I hope to hear from the IRS the sooner the better. I never thought I would say that!

Old 07-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent three hours on the phone today with the IRS. Well. 30 minutes talking to people and 2 1/2 hours on hold! I spoke with three different CSRs about my tax return. And, after all that time I was able to find out that my case has not been assigned to a fraud investigator yet and that the refund and stimulus check went to the same thief who use a Green Dot account. I was told by the last rep I spoke with to give it time, up to 180 days!
While on hold I looked up Green Dot bank and found that it is basically a debit/credit card supplier and it is very hard to trace any money deposited to one of their cards. So, hopefully I will know if I am going to get my Federal return and stimulus check by Christmas.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default locking mail box

After reading all these horror stories here I went and bought a heavy duty locking mail box to replace the cheaply made one we had before. Some neighbors here posted home security footage of people looking in their mail boxes. We still use roadside mail boxes here so I got one with a door front and back so the wife doesn't have to stand close to the road when getting the mail. It was $100. but I think worth it for peace of mind. The box it came in said: "Made on earth in India" lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	557b5e9ff5454c158a21eb2f7ffbe50b.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	545099  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-12-2020, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to update this post, I got a letter from the IRS today. It said"We received your form 14039 or similar statement for your identity theft claim". This was the form that I submitted on line back in July. The letter went on to say it could take up to 180 days to process my case. So, I am now looking at the end of April or the beginning of May 2021! I hope I will have my 2020 tax return before then!

Old 11-13-2020, 12:36 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs down

Chances are it was someone close to you. Sad to say, but usually a relative. That's just the way it works out.

Source: Wife is a PI.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 11-13-2020, 01:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Best wishes, what a nightmare, words can not express or convey to you my rage. The light is, eventually, you will get your money.

The thought these, I will use your definition "Scummers" since my terminology is prohibited, will get away with this is absurd.

Thank you for posting this, I'm sure it has opened a few eyes, mine included, and again, very best wishes for a speedy resolution.

Frank

Old 11-13-2020, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Chances are it was someone close to you. Sad to say, but usually a relative. That's just the way it works out.

Source: Wife is a PI.
I feel like it was someone further down the line for a couple reasons. First, I have no family here. My son is in Arizona and what few remaining other relatives I have are in Maryland. And I mailed my federal and state returns at the same time but my state return went through and I got my refund quickly. I think it may have been stolen somewhere between the local post office and the final postal site before being delivered although I can't rule out it being taken by an IRS worker.
The refund and stimulus checks were all sent to the same Green Dot bank account and the IRS has that account number. IIRC the last four are 2615 or 2651.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Around Feb 2019 we had a rash of mailbox burglaries. The thieves would smash the hell out of the mailboxes (these are groups of mailboxes for condos/subdivisions), and steal the W-2. The thieves know the timing for W-2 deliveries (not hard). Once you have the W-2, its pretty straight forward to file a fraudulent return claiming a refund. (Our mailboxes then went through an upgrade using thicker metal, heavier duty locks, etc).

It demonstrates the incompetence of government when they issue money to bank accounts with all most no verification. A few years ago the IRS paid several hundred millions dollars in refund fraud to something like four accounts in Estonia.

You'd think for direct deposit they would require you to set up an IRS account and maybe use secondary authentication techniques at least. Pathetic morons.
All the more reason to have good security cameras.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a quick update to let Y'all know that I got a letter from the IRS last week saying they had received my fraud claim form. That was the electronic form I filed back in July! The letter also stated that it may take up to 180 days to resolve my case. So, I will probably file my 2020 return before i get my 2019 refund.