Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remember back in the day when people bought appliances at either one of two places ... Sears, or a privately owned appliance store. The prices at the private stores are of course more, but at least they have salespeople with a vested interest in the satisfaction of their customers and the quality of the product.

Month or so ago I got a new washer and dryer at Lowes ... fairly painless, ordered online, pickup at the store. Got home and the washer was dented pretty significantly .. but was in an area that didn't show when installed, and there appeared to be no internal damage. Just plain hard to get a perfectly timed purchase of a perfectly undamaged product these days. Good prices and selection at Lowes .. but those guys in the warehouse have no skin in the game so their work is going to probably be less than conscientious.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Over the years, have bought numerous appliances from Lowes & never had any of them damaged. Just went through this with a hot water heater. 7-8 years ago, for rental property, purchased @ Lowes, two black face dishwashers (believe Samsungs). Bought both for a smokin deal, under $200 a piece, due to light cosmetic damage down low where couldn't be seen. Still no problems with either one today. When we bought our current home, we remodeled the kitchen immediately. That first week out here, bought a new LG fridge (french door/freezer on the bottom)... works well. Never like our previous fridge when we lived in town. Bought the new fridge, a top of the line cooktop, & a SpeedQueen commercial duty washing machine from Hahn's, a huge local appliance retailer, was delivered the next day, no issues. Hahn's beat all the other local's price on the same fridge & the cooktop. Can't remember on the SpeedQueen washer, it was special order at other retailers & I expected to pay more for it due to its abilities, so did not try & price shop.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 12-30-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last refrigerator they found on the day of delivery that the forks of a forklift had gone through the box sometime in the past, no one bothered to say or do anything about it. The replacement had a fork go through the box but no one noticed it and when they strapped it down it crushed the finish on the door. The guys installed it and said GE would replace the door under warranty. Cool.

Call GE and their customer service was irate that we had accepted it because it was corporate policy that ANY damages are required to go back to be fixed and that by accepting delivery we were fine with it and that they would NOT fix it. That took 3 hours on the phone to sort out through 4 different departments and they finally replaced the door 6 weeks later. The local Homey Depot contracts out to different people to deliver who have nothing to do with either HD\Lowes or the manufacturers, but the manufacturers have their own policy and say theirs trumps whatever HD says. It's incredibly dumb.

Bought a washer and dryer at HD 3 months ago. Told the guy at the store that it was a propane unit and needed propane conversion. He assured me it would be taken care of. Called the delivery contractor with the same question. She assured me they take care of that before delivery. Unit arrives and I ask the guys about propane conversion and they had no idea what I was talking about and said it's against their policy to touch anything besides setting it up. I converted it myself and it took less than an hour, but it sure would be nice for people to stop lying to me and telling me things they think I want to hear.

I'm to the point now where if I can't take the appliance out of the store the day I pay for it, I presume it's going to be a giant CF.

I know "back in the day" was supposed to be better than this. My great-uncle ran an appliance store in Tuscumbia, AL. for decades and his people took care of all of this, you got what you got and it just plain worked. No buck passing, lying from phone support, or "not my problem" from the delivery guys. But then they all worked at the store and knew everyone in town... I think we only have ourselves to blame for letting it happen.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I find it hard to believe they save more money from crappy packing than having to replace a damaged unit. Bought a large vice from HD a while back and when I went to pick it up the handle was hanging out of the box, slight scratches but no show stoppers. Bought a water heater with no obvious damage to the "box" but unwrapping showed the drain valve busted off. Bought 3 grilles for my Merc. Marquis before I finally got one that wasn't busted or someones crappy return. Bought a large swamp cooler for my garage, busted air register, bolt missing from motor adjustment, belt not tight. I fixed everything myself. I can't imagine what the average clueless consumer would have done.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-30-2020, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I can't imagine what the average clueless consumer would have done.
Sent it back or called someone to fix it. Or swapped out a good one they got elsewhere and sent the bad one back as a refund...

Old 12-30-2020, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome to the sad state of the world today...no accountability.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 12-31-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
That first week out here, bought a new LG fridge (french door/freezer on the bottom)... works well. Never like our previous fridge when we lived in town. Bought the new fridge, a top of the line cooktop, & a SpeedQueen commercial duty washing machine from Hahn's, a huge local appliance retailer, was delivered the next day, no issues.
Roger, keep an eye on that fridge; LG is battling a huge class action lawsuit over the failure of their refrigerators. My company handles the mailings for many of these lawsuits, and this LG suit is the biggest i have seen.
Glad to hear that yours is good.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We bought the small LG for the back porch, just to get us by 'til we got our big fridge. Turns out that it has been our only fridge now for 7 months.

Bought it because at the time it was the only small fridge Lowes had in stock. And it wasn't showing online.

I had read some bad reviews of LG refrigerators. So, if there had been a better brand in stock, we'd have bought it. But sometimes you just have to take what you can get. Hey, it was summertime in Louisiana. We NEEDED a fridge.

So far, it has worked great.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
Roger, keep an eye on that fridge; LG is battling a huge class action lawsuit over the failure of their refrigerators. My company handles the mailings for many of these lawsuits, and this LG suit is the biggest i have seen.
It's the LG's with a Linear Compressor I believe.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
Yes, had heard of the settlement or extended 5 yr warranty on certain models.. Thankfully, our model LG fridge is not one effected.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finally !

Well, it took over 7 months. But we now have a new fridge in the kitchen.

After being rescheduled 4 times, since we bought it, the Lowes truck finally delivered it, today.

They had to remove the handles to get it thru the front door. But that didn't take long. I had no idea how to remove them. Just took an allen wrench, on each end of each handle.

It seems to be cooling just fine & has already made 3 or 4 batches of ice. We're supposed to throw away the first few batches of ice & run several gallons of water thru it, before we drink any of the water. The delivery guy said just 1 gal. TJ said that the owners manual said to run 4 gals of water thru it, before drinking any.

Anyhow, by tomorrow, we should be back in business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1 - Lowes Truck Finally Delivers .jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	558540   Click image for larger version

Name:	R2 - Come on down .jpg
Views:	76
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	558541   Click image for larger version

Name:	R3 - Entering Without Handles .jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	558542   Click image for larger version

Name:	R4 - Set'r down E-Z .jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	558544   Click image for larger version

Name:	R5 - In Place .jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	558545  

Old 01-15-2021, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You do realize Tj is gonna want the rest to match...LOL she got you good! fwiw im still waiting on a fridge I ordered in march..But I aint getting a color other than white! My stove micro dishwasher are all white. The factorys sell more slate black and stainless so white is at the back of the list. Nice fridge!

Old 01-15-2021, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the last pic, does the back door open?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
In the last pic, does the back door open?

Yeah, there's plenty of room to open the door.

Part of the light switch panel is behind the fridge. But it's still easy to work both switches. No problem.

The pic is not good quality. There was some very bright sunlight coming thru the door glass & reflecting off the side of the fridge. So I cropped all the bright out of the pic. TJ hasn't made any more pics since the sun went down. I'll try to post some better pics, another day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Door Clearance .jpg
Views:	80
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	558551  

Old 01-17-2021, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Better Pics

Here are a couple of better quality pics.

One shows the clearance between the door & fridge.

The other shows the light switch panel. It's no problem to operate the switches.

Only problem I've had, so far, is that when I come in that door, that big black thang is almost frightening, 'til I quickly realize what it is.

Don't know how long it will take me to get use to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R6 - Door to Fridge Clearance .jpg
Views:	91
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	558633   Click image for larger version

Name:	R7 - Light Switch Panel .jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	558634  

Old 01-17-2021, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on finding a way through the muck. We had to buy a fridge last year before the Covid turmoil and thought it would be a drop-in. Discovered the new fridge was 1/2" too tall to fit in the existing opening. There was an 18" cabinet over the hole, so I thought no problem, I'll replace it with a 15" cabinet.

Wrong.

The cabinet style was still available but the finish was not.

So I had to tear out the old cabinet and find a local cabinet shop that could cut it down and match the finish.

I got lucky and it all worked out but was a good lesson on how something I thought was simple can turn against me.

A year later, our oven died a week ago... we tried to get it fixed... no parts! So now we need to buy an oven and are starting down the same path you just paved... ugggghhhh...

But to find a happy ending, we do like the new fridge and have had no issues this first year.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't begin to count the number of times I've began to do something I thought would be very simple & would not take long at all, only to have it become a major project & a real pain in the rear.

Stuff like things that should be a quick, easy bolt-on deal, that required modifying and/or even making parts. Race cars are a good example. Have modified lots of parts, in order to make a car perform like I wanted it to, on the track.

But, I always said: "Whatever it takes". If you wanna win, you gotta be willing to do whatever it takes.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Warning Sign

Well, I'm having a hard time getting use to a big black fridge greeting me, when I come in the kitchen door.

And, I almost made a big boo-boo yesterday. I was bringing my weed trimmer/brush cutter inside, to make some pics. I opened the door and stepped into the kitchen, holding the trimmer with the blade out in front of me. before I remembered that the new fridge was there, the teeth of that clade came probably with not over 1/2" from the fridge. That blade is very sharp, so one of those teeth would have made an ugly scratch on the fridge.

So, TJ made for me a big cardboard warning sign, & taped it to the outside of the door. It reads: "WATCH OUT for the REFRIG !"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Watch Out Sign .jpg
Views:	67
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	558684