Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Is a Corvair project worth anything?

Found a '65(I think) Corvair today for what seems like a reasonable price. I had gone to look at some '58 Chevys that turned out to be pretty rough and the guy also had several Corvairs. The only reason I even took note of this one was that it had decent blue bucket seats. It was probably a nice car when it was parked. Sheet metal/chrome looks nice and the interior looks like it was excellent before the backglass and passenger door glass got busted out. Its a turbo car and looks pretty complete. The bad is I'll bet it's stuck tighter than heck as it appears to have been sitting in a somewhat damp environment for some time and it also appears to have been sitting just a couple inches off the ground for a long time so I'll bet the pans are toast. I forgot to ask about a title because I really only wanted the seats. Mind you, I don't "need" the seats. But some parts are hard to walk away from(bucket seats. vintage mags, mulit carb intakes, etc). He priced the whole car for $500.

Any ideas what the rest of the car may be worth(low side) if I buy it and keep the buckets?

I forgot to take any pictures. Sorry

Old 01-24-2021, 02:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There was one for sale locally a few months back that I was briefly tempted by, as it was less than $1000, looked complete, etc., had been garaged forever, but was non-running. I did some quick research on prices (parts and cars), came to my senses (thankfully) and let somebody else have the headache.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:22 AM

I suggest you go to corvaircenter.com and look around a little. If it's an actual turbo car for $500, it's probably worth the money, but I wouldn't count on making a killing flipping it. I own one, and one thing I've learned over the years is that Corvairs are worth less than you think.

1963 Thunderbird
1965 Mustang
1965 Skylark Sport Coupe
1965 Dart 170 Wagon
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
Old 01-24-2021, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Find out if the motor is free and check the underside for rust first, but for $500 I don't think you can lose either way.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Lou Gramm's brother-in-law, Ron, has a bunch of them. 2 wagons, a convertible, a Crown and not 1 but 2 Stingers. So when I found a nice convertible, the first person I went to was Ron. Sadly, that's when I found out Corvairs get the same respect as Fieros, very little unless it is the top of the line, like an '88 Fiero GT, or a special model, like a Yenko Stinger. The Corvair convertible I found was a nice, original paint, 50,000 mile car for what I thought was a steal at $3500.00. According to Ron, that was pretty much all the money and he said that I better really like it because it would be hard to get my money back as well as difficult to find a buyer when I wanted to sell.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the input guys. I knew they used to be a pretty hard sell and apparently that hasn't changed. I'm thinking I may do well to walk away. The only long term place I have to put it is over an hour away and it sounds like I would have it for a while.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:18 PM

There was a guy at one of my previous jobs, who had a running one. (las Cruces NM). More may have survived down here, as runners, due to less humidity and near zero road salt. It had a terrible oil leak. He always parked it in the same place, and it looked like a superfund site. Have heard it is due to the type or design of the engine, it is a flat six, and apparently there are two halves that can be split, and has design similarities to both Subaru (flat four) and VW (also flat four).

Old 01-24-2021, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Lou Gramm's brother-in-law, Ron, has a bunch of them. 2 wagons, a convertible, a Crown and not 1 but 2 Stingers. So when I found a nice convertible, the first person I went to was Ron. Sadly, that's when I found out Corvairs get the same respect as Fieros, very little unless it is the top of the line, like an '88 Fiero GT, or a special model, like a Yenko Stinger. The Corvair convertible I found was a nice, original paint, 50,000 mile car for what I thought was a steal at $3500.00. According to Ron, that was pretty much all the money and he said that I better really like it because it would be hard to get my money back as well as difficult to find a buyer when I wanted to sell.

A body man that I used to work with (he passed in '97) was a native of Pa. He told me about driving the Corvair Stingers from Yenko to his shop and putting the stripes on them.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 63 turbo spyder and they are a blast to drive. I paid 6k for a nice cruise ready car. May get my money out of it, may not. My dad has always loved these cars so it seemed worth it.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
A body man that I used to work with (he passed in '97) was a native of Pa. He told me about driving the Corvair Stingers from Yenko to his shop and putting the stripes on them.
I actually learned a lot from Ron about the Stingers. Pretty cool and interesting cars.

Ron's one Stinger has to be the most documented car I have ever came across. Ron has the cancelled check that Don Yenko signed as payment to his floor plan for the Stinger. I have never seen a dealer to floor plan check outside of my own. Ron's car is also 1 of only 2 "Sleeper" versions. Outside of no stripes, the other tell-tale signs is that the car does not have the trademark Yenko quarter window block-off sail panels.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably a good car to convert to battery powered electric ?