THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We finally got above zero for the first time in about a week yesterday (southern MN). Leaving tomorrow for a funeral up on the Iron Range (northern MN where we grew up). Over the weekend I checked to see what the temp was up there and it was -35 in my home town. Luckily, the cold front is leaving and we'll have a relatively tropical -11 degrees Friday morning (the day of the funeral).

The high on Friday will be a shirt sleeve weather 15 degrees ABOVE zero.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

0° this morning no clouds and sunshine 12.4” yesterday lots of wind and drifting. It was fun opening up driveway yesterday with my snowblower that’s 20” tall and the snow drifts are 30” tall. Got one path out the middle and half cuts from then on. Oh we had 7” on the ground already got 2” and then the 12.4” it’s the most on the ground at one time in a while.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Over the weekend I checked to see what the temp was up there and it was -35 in my home town.
My cousin lives just outside Babbitt, she saw -44 at her house on Saturday. That'll wake a person up.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
It's 60F and sunny outside now, but it has rained almost non-stop since November. My yard is mush, and if this continues I'm worried my septic will back up. I never had septic tank issues before but this is about the mushiest my yard has ever been, and I've been in this house almost 30 years.

We have seen a few flakes of snow, no accumulation, and no ice yet. Areas just about 50 miles north had some serious ice storms this weekend but it was an all rain event here. The weather forecast shows more rain with no frozen precipitation, coldest temperature will be 26F.

If this rain keeps up, I think I'll need to start building an ark.
I haven't checked to see if the rain is a record but I've been here since the 70's and don't remember this much over such an extended period of time. Property is looking like a "hog waller" right about now! Definitely concerned about septic performance given that the soil is super saturated!

Old 02-17-2021, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...f3dCbwQ4dUDCA0

Old 02-17-2021, 01:31 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

Just got text from Crocie Jr. in Austin. Power out for thee days. Maybe 6 weeks! to restore. Patio is the refrigerator. Using gas stove for heat.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trail Dogs

"...She has gone thru quite a few "trail dogs", during her 40+ years of Appy riding. Dogs just seem to love going on trail rides. We've never bought a dog. Most of 'em have just "showed up". There has been quite a variety. "

TJ finally found this pic. It was taken in Jan of 2000. She'd only had the horse less than a month. It shows 3 of her "trail dogs". 2 of 'em lived to make the move with us, from that location over to the place where we live now, back in 2004. TJ said that the most trail dogs she ever had on a ride was 5. Those were Roscoe P. Gravytrain, Rosey Red Pooh, Roxie Red Pooh, Rusty Red Pooh, & Lil Red. They were all the same color, which was sort of a reddish tan. We called it red. My favorite of all time was Roscoe. He was TJ's protector from any dogs along the trail that might indicate they wanted to attack. Once there were 2 Big German Bernards that ran down their driveway & acted like they wanted to attack the horse. Although out-sized & outnumbered, Roscoe never hesitated for a moment. He tore into the closest one & sent 'em both packin, back up their driveway. I think he caught 'em by surprise. Probably the 1st dog that ever challenged them. To me, he was sort of a hero dog. Like a brave police officer who runs toward the danger, rather than away from it. Yeah, I really loved that dog. It's sad that good dogs live such short lives. But, there are some that you just never forget.

This 1st pic also shows how we need to dress, on an average Jan day, here. All we usually need is a light jacket. If the wind is blowing, sometimes we need to add a knit cap down over the ears.

BUT, on rare occasions, we've had Winter storms in Dec, Jan, & Feb. I can even remember snow in late Mar, one year. I still had my '69 GTO on the street, & was working construction at our local paper mill, as an Ironworker. So, that would have been Mar of either '70 or '71. We went to work, but soon after we got there, it began to snow, pretty heavy, enuff to cover the roads. So, they told us to go home.

Well, me & an Ironworker friend loaded up my ice chest with brewsky, and cruised around for hours, on the country roads. Don't remember meeting a single vehicle. We'd stop right in the middle of the road, for pit stops. The Goat had a posi rear & radial tires. So it didn't seem to slip a bit, unless I wanted it to. Cut a donut in one big 4-way intersection. Other than that, I just puttered slowly right down the middle of the road. We just seemed to have the only vehicle on the road, that day. The roads were covered with snow, without a single tire track. It was very quiet & beautiful out on those country roads. It remains in my memory as a very unique day in my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pokey Jan 2000.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	560989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roscoe .jpg
Views:	58
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	560990  

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-17-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:15 PM

Hope all you guys dealing with the cold and snow make it through safe, a touch chilly here today with highs in the mid 60's. Mid to upper 70's for the weekend and nothing but sunshine in the forecast.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Started snowing hard Monday afternoon. Then wind picked up. Try not to let it get over 3"-4" cause driveway holds 12 vehicles side by side. Seemed like wind was blowing every direction. Was covered head to toe using snowblower after work at 7. Then again at 11.
Then yesterday at 4am when back pain woke me at 3. Then 9 am. Then 2...
Anyway, snowed on/off for over 24 hours thanks to Lake Michigan.
Lucky was regular day off.
Oh ya, do 2 other elderly neibs when snows like this. Thiers are small and easy, so wait till about 5'-6" deep. Did them twice.
Cleared back both sides of driveway just as sun setting at 5.
Fell over few times trekking around house in knee to thigh deep snow knocking 3'-4' ice sickles from gutters for the 4th time. Not sure thier gona servive.
No idea how much total do to drifting. Dont care at this point. Dam cold spell get'n to me though.
On 5th or 6th? face cord of Oak for garage stove. Usually use 4-5 all winter.
Forcast low/mid 20's starting tomorrow till next week. Then normal low 30's following week

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-17-2021, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another 3-4" of snow last night, about 10"s total from this week's double whammy.

My 80V Kobalt leaf blower is nowhere near suited for cleaning off our driveway, but it has come in handy blowing the thick powder off the shrubs & sidewalk up to the front porch.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From my daughter again

hopefully it's almost over. We have been very blessed this far. We have not lost power, water or gas. We have 1 more snow and ice storm tonight thru tomorrow. Had an ice storm last night and now our snow is completely iced over.
Everything has been closed, there's no gas, no food in the stores...and I mean none...its worse than when covid first hit. We still have food to last 1 more week, but are out of eggs, bread, milk, juice. But we know how to stretch to make things last.
Ercot is threatening to turn off power to more homes today, so pray we dont lose it. They have no idea when it will be fixed and that is scary.
Lots of pipes are bursting, and I'm hearing that as it begins to get warmer more pipes will burst. I'm praying hard for that to not happen.
It's been a consistent 18 degrees feels like around 10. I set the thermostat to 70 when this all started but we have only been able to get to 62 consistently in the house. It's cold. We burned the last of our wood last night and of course there is none to be found anywhere, not like we could get to it if there was any...lol

Oh and every city around us has lost power to their water treatment plants so they're all under a boil water notice. Luckily, Round Rock isnt one of them. We have really been blessed.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 02-17-2021, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cold, snowy. It’s winter. It is every year, People need to Stop complaining lol
Get a generator.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 02-17-2021, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

Checking snow level here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunshine 01.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	561027  

The Following User Says Thank You to T.Weber For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Got 3" on Sunday, 15" on Monday and another 2" yesterday.

Did a little shoveling yesterday, a little more today and plowed the rest. Nothing to see here. Its only winter.

Everything may be bigger in Texas, but 3 little inches of snow will sure get them Texan's cowboy boots in a bunch.

By the way..... Our windmills work just fine and last night the temps were in the single digits. LOL!

Old 02-18-2021, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Weber View Post
Checking snow level here

Based on the chart below, it appears that their is lots of snow in CA - in some places over 100".

Old 02-18-2021, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

100" is only 60% of average for this time of year. Unless we get a lot more snow between now and April it looks to be a dry year in California

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 02-18-2021, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Cold, snowy. It’s winter. It is every year, People need to Stop complaining lol
Get a generator.
Sure you know what its like 1000's of people going to grocery stores.
Imagine 1000's going to hardware stores to get 1 of only 5 available generators...

Old 02-18-2021, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
From my daughter again

hopefully it's almost over. We have been very blessed this far. We have not lost power, water or gas. We have 1 more snow and ice storm tonight thru tomorrow. Had an ice storm last night and now our snow is completely iced over.
Everything has been closed, there's no gas, no food in the stores...and I mean none...its worse than when covid first hit. We still have food to last 1 more week, but are out of eggs, bread, milk, juice. But we know how to stretch to make things last.
Ercot is threatening to turn off power to more homes today, so pray we dont lose it. They have no idea when it will be fixed and that is scary.
Lots of pipes are bursting, and I'm hearing that as it begins to get warmer more pipes will burst. I'm praying hard for that to not happen.
It's been a consistent 18 degrees feels like around 10. I set the thermostat to 70 when this all started but we have only been able to get to 62 consistently in the house. It's cold. We burned the last of our wood last night and of course there is none to be found anywhere, not like we could get to it if there was any...lol

Oh and every city around us has lost power to their water treatment plants so they're all under a boil water notice. Luckily, Round Rock isnt one of them. We have really been blessed.
Hoping the best for her.
We lose power once or twice a year do to storms. Sometimes 1-2 days.
If she loses power, make sure leaves faucets on just enough wont freeze over.
Before I was married, had a 70" trailer. Pipes would freeze every winter if didn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to Region Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only .25" snow this am. And heat wave at 18*. Didn't even zip my coat or wear gloves.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Southwestern Tennessee, we've got 6 inches on the ground over the last 4 days or so. We typically get 2 inches per year, so the area is completely unprepared for this much snow. When I lived in Utah, 6 inches was nothing, but here everything shut down.

Supposed to warm up starting Saturday.

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am