Old 09-26-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Taillight swap

Okay I am working on a 81 Firebird(Formula), I was wondering about the taillights. I really don't dig them too much, could I swap out these for a older model or anything else? If I don't hear anything I guess I will proceed to fabricate a custom piece with LED's.

Or has anybody seen the stock rallly II wheels in chrome? How about polishing them?

Any HELP is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:35 PM

Yeah it could be done but you will have to chance out the tail panel for sure which is a weld in piece and I am not sure about the gas tank.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Changing out to earlier 74-78 tailights will be a real hack job unless you swap out the whole tail panel & that's fairly big job.
Gas tank will need to be changed out,or at least the filler neck,for sure.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gas tank is the same, or pretty darn close. I bought the stripped out shell of an '81 car, and transferred EVERYTHING from my '77 into it. Interior, front subframe with engine and transmission, all suspension and brake components, front and rear, exhaust, gas tank, electrical system, and all lights.

My '77 gas tank and bumper bolted up with no issue. For the tail lights, we cut some 3" - 4" pieces of all thread, heated them up red hot with the torch, and melted them into the '77 tail light housings at all four corners. Then all we had to do was drill holes in the tail panel that lined up with the all thread, and the lights went right in and fit like they belonged there. The only way to tell was to open the trunk and see the wing nuts on the ends of the all-thread sticking through.

I can't remember if we had to do anything tricky with the license plate bracket, but I do know that the rear view of the car was identical to a '77. Everything was right where it belonged, so it can definitely be done.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Hey Mike!!

It would be great to have some pics of your finished product. So you are saying I could bolt up a 77 rear bumper no prob? That would be great, then I'll just fab up my uwn lisc plate bracket and flip kit with taillights. No aftermarket altezza's? I think those are gay N-E-Wayz.... Thanks again..

Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

zuk, unfortunately no photos available. I did the swap back in '90, long before I had a digital camera. The car was rear-ended back in '93 and I stripped it out and junked it. I think I still have those taillights, or at least one of them (the one that didn't get hit), but they are in Michigan and I am in Iraq.

The finished product literally looked exactly like a '77 Trans Am, unless you looked inside the trunk and saw the nice, shiny all-thread sticking through with washers and wing nuts on it. To change a tail light bulb, I had to unscrew the four wingnuts holding that tail light assembly in, then remove the assembly from the rear of the car to get to the bulb. I believe the wiring harness was routed behind the rear panel, instead of inside the trunk as it was originally.

IIRC, the bumper bolted straight up with no issues. I know that I used the original tilt license plate bracket, I just don't remember if there were any spacers involved. Definitely used the original gas tank, filler neck, etc.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it - I'll pick through the dusty cobwebs of my memory about that swap and let you know whatever else I can remember.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the formula tailights the same as the trans am? On my 80, they almost look black when not lit. I like the look against the white body. I thought I had seen the same style in red, & I thought that is what std firebirds had.

The rear pans are vervy different. on my 78, The bulbs are accesaable through the trunk, on the 80, you have to remove the light assembly. Very different in there.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the Formula taillights are the darker black like the T/A's are. I have a complete set from my 79 Formula..... and they are for sale. Red was for the Red Bird. An old friend had a 79 Red Bird and that was the color of hers.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

The regular red taillights are for standard Firebirds.........I have a set of the red and the smoked taillights, probably gonna go with the smoked lights.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always switch to the smoked tail lites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3334#2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	106275   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3336#2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	106276  

Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of smoked taillights........does anyone know where to find the bird that goes on the gas door? Are they reproduced?

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i was just going to ask that too
i want that whole cover for the door
i think it looks sweet

to bad no one repos the tail lights
would love a new set to match side markers and headlights

Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I recall,if you are changing out your 79-81 Firebird/Esprit (red) tailights for the smoked version (T/A / Formula),you will also need the tailight harness to match as there are more lights/sockets required for the T/A version.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA
i was just going to ask that too
i want that whole cover for the door
i think it looks sweet

to bad no one repos the tail lights
would love a new set to match side markers and headlights
My lights have the door intact but the bird is missing........cant seem to locate one.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep looking it took me a while to find the one on the 79!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default TAIL LIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182
Yes the Formula taillights are the darker black like the T/A's are. I have a complete set from my 79 Formula..... and they are for sale. Red was for the Red Bird. An old friend had a 79 Red Bird and that was the color of hers.
Hi, How much are you looking to get for the tail lamp housings, and do you have any pics.
Thanks, David