Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM

Default Black Spoiler Welting?

Who has black wheel opening spoiler welting in black?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Chief

You may have to paint it to match your spoilers.

1995 Formula Firehawk #592

Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 PM

There is none when I ordered my they said it was black and in gray. When I called they said that was the only color so I used the old ones.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:19 PM

got some in black from ebay a trans am dealer in florida i think nice stuff even has double sided tape to hold it on..

Old 09-25-2010, 01:59 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2554wt_1167

I ordered these. I think they are what you are referring to. How did they fit? I am not sure about the correctness of the contour, but at least they are black. These will be going on a 1977 Y81 W72 4-speed Trans Am, one of 384 made, of which only 12 others are known to exist. The car still has all four of the original factory spoilers and chin spoilers molded in body color, black in this case, and the original welting also molded in body color, also black, but needing replacement. Thus the search for black welting to keep it like original. Also, the original brackets from the chin spoiler to front wheel opening spoilers are still present. I think these facts will be good selling points for the car.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be the right color but....The contour is incorrect and in my opinion will be a huge negative and for any correct restoration completely unacceptable. It needs to look original and from the pics this is far from it. This might be OK on some resto-mod but not on an original factory type restoration. Yoy might want to consider painting your original welting, because nothing you by will fit better.

I found The welting sold by Ames and PY to be as true to the original as you can get, it paints very well.

The weltin pictured installed in the Ebay auction is NOT the welting that they are selling, it appears to be original.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM

Default welting

I got the black spoiler welting today. Looks good. Craig, at first glance, they undoubtably look bogus to you, I had my doubts looking only at the pictures. However, give them a chance if you haven't sent them back yet. There are three contour aspects of the original welting. For lack of better terms, lets call them the bulge, the flange, and in between, the crease. Just laying there, the black strips just seem to be a one themed segmented arch profile; appear totally wrong. However, once you install them the bulge becomes apparent. Next, tighten the spoiler to the body, and the flange and crease will become evident. Close, but not a perfect match to original, but neither are the grey ones. One caveat, they are slightly narrower than original, so if you have a paint edge to cover, you may come up a little short. This will be irrelevant if you are doing a restoration and the sheet metal below is refinished smoothly. The grey ones have a crease that is too sharp, and I have a hard time getting them to lay flush. As for the blue one pictured in the auction, I can't speak for its authenticity, but my initial test fits produce a similar profile. In summary, even though I have yards of the grey stuff on hand, the black stuff gets the nod for my black car.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Craig, see if you can get a good picture of the contour

Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Craig, see if you can get a good picture of the contour
I don't know about good picture, but here is a couple of bad ones, plus a picture of the original brackets. As you can see, one of them needed a little repair, but they are both molded in black originals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07150.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	219579   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07156.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	219580   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07159.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	219581  

Old 09-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Here is the picture Norwood is referring to. The black welting is very soft, much more so than the grey stuff. This is where the aformentioned crease line comes in where it adapts to the body. Notice how the crease becomes more defined at the body line and almost disappears two thirds down toward the base, then reappears toward the bottom. This would be consistent with the theory that the crease line is created by the adaptation to the contour of the body, since the adaptation tends to be less tight in the concave character line two thirds towards the rocker panel. Also notice that the width of the flange varies at different points along the welting. The grey ones don't do that, since the crease is molded into the welting, and not created by the pressure from the body. I suppose we could just ask the seller if the actual product is used in the blue picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WELTINGBK.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	219583  

Last edited by Zirconia; 09-25-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 PM

I asked the company if that is the actual product in the picture. They said it is indeed, just painted blue.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't beleive them...But hat is just me

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
I don't beleive them...But hat is just me
lol