THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
People complain that theres no younger guys into cars. This is part of the reason.

Guess what, not everyone can afford a classic Pontiac (Or any brand). Its damn expensive buying and restoring old cars, so they look for the next best thing. How can you argue with something thats LS based, makes tons of power, and can be bought rather cheap now.

You cant.
That's what really ticks me off....how expensive the hobby has become. One of the main problems I see is investors buying cars, driving the prices out of sight, which makes everyone think the parts are worth gold. Then real car guys can't afford them. So now all you have is investors trading them like stocks. I like to work on and drive mine. No trailer queens here.

Hope this makes sense. I'm in a really bad mood right now about something unrelated and just needed somewhere and something to *#tch about. Carry on.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1050goat View Post
That's what really ticks me off....how expensive the hobby has become. One of the main problems I see is investors buying cars, driving the prices out of sight, which makes everyone think the parts are worth gold. Then real car guys can't afford them. So now all you have is investors trading them like stocks.
Well can't have it both ways, cheap and desirable. Choose one when it does to classic Pontiacs. They will get cheaper as the diserability goes down. I for one would love it if they were less desirable and consequently cheaper, I would love them just the same

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
The new forums don't bother me. I can scroll past them, it's no big deal. But IMHO, the last true Pontiac rolled off the line in 1979.
X2!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
X2!

Ultimate Warrior

The new forums don't bother me. I can scroll past them, it's no big deal. But IMHO, the last true Pontiac rolled off the line in 1979.

Sooo, my 1st brand new Pontiac, a 1980 Grand Am with the 301 "PONTIAC" motor wasn't a REAL PONTIAC?

I feel so ashamed,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Transporter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Ultimate Warrior

Sooo, my 1st brand new Pontiac, a 1980 Grand Am with the 301 "PONTIAC" motor wasn't a REAL PONTIAC?

I feel so ashamed,
Actually I was agreeing with the "scrolling" past part of that post. Last Pontiac was made in 1981 IMO. Sorry about that. I like those Grand AMs Good cruiser cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to goatwgn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Don't let it get to ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by connman View Post
just wondering why after all these years that when you added a G8 and new gto forum that you put them on top so I have to scroll thru them to get to old stuff. bet you p**sed off more than a few of you old car guys
I have been on PY for 13 years and while I don't own any Ponchos after '69, I am fine with the order of things. Scroll past. It's what some might call a "First-World" problem.

Although I feel that the Pontiac engine really defines the Pontiac BRAND, the HERITAGE does too, and these newer machines are always welcome.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

please stop the insanity..let it go...every thing in life is about change....like it or not

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ultimate Warrior

I feel so ashamed,
Just my opinion, don't take it personal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hillard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
please stop the insanity..let it go...every thing in life is about change....like it or not
Not sure who that's directed to, the people bitching about the new forum layout or the ones bitching about the youth not liking their cars and trying to change it? Maybe both.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Just my opinion, don't take it personal.

I guess I just don't see how a 301 is not a real Pontiac motor, or a GA is not a real Pontiac?

Yeah, the GA and the other div, shared a lot on that body, but the 301 is all Pontiac, unless you would also not include the 301 Turbo T/A's as not real Pontiac's.

I guess another way to look at it would be this, do you consider a 64/65 Lemans with a six in it a real Pontiac?

You are by all means entitled to your opinion, but that is a pretty slippery slope you have started down.

The Following User Says Thank You to Transporter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 389-348 View Post
I don't know ... why do we teach American History in schools? It's up to us, the village elders, to bring the youngins along and teach them a little about this old iron ... if for no other reason to show them why, in the older parts of town, why the parking spaces are so d*mn big.

Ha! That's beautiful.

You better set some orange cones out there so that people don't run into the back of your car as they are whipping out of the parking lot....

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I guess I just don't see how a 301 is not a real Pontiac motor, or a GA is not a real Pontiac?

Yeah, the GA and the other div, shared a lot on that body, but the 301 is all Pontiac, unless you would also not include the 301 Turbo T/A's as not real Pontiac's.

I guess another way to look at it would be this, do you consider a 64/65 Lemans with a six in it a real Pontiac?

You are by all means entitled to your opinion, but that is a pretty slippery slope you have started down.
Wow, I guess I really did offend you. Like I said, it wasn't personal. Since the can of worms has been opened.....
The 301 is obviously a Pontiac motor. However, it's never been considered a real performer, not even the turbo. It was built with a light weak casting and was intended to b nothing more than a grocery getter. They can be dependable engines. I've owned a few 79-80 GP's with the 301, but only used them through the winter while I was storing my 69GP. I've also owned several 75-77 GP's. I really like the 77's for their style and have owned one with a 301 and one with a 400. I'll take the 400. The 301 just didn't have enough power to move that big car. Another reason why the downsized in 78. The only reason I said 79 was the last year was the TA with the 400. Other than liking the style of the 77GP I really don't care too much for anything past 73. I just look at the mid-70's as the time when they started thinking more about how to make it cheaper and get more mpg. IMO...it all went downhill from there. BTW...I've also owned a 93 Bonneville SSE and currently have an 02 SSEI. The 02 SSEI is up for sale as I now drive my 72 Lemans every day.

I apologize for offending anyone. It wasn't my intent. I was merely stating my opinion. I've owned my 69 GP since 1985 and absolutely love it. If you told me it was ugly, that's ok, it's your opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hillard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default I'm just fine with it!

I'm old and in the way, so I don't mind all the added Pontiac cars and years. I'm just happy I still have a place to go that hasn't been rubbed out!! I think "Darksiders" rule....................Le'Bone

Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Wow, I guess I really did offend you. Like I said, it wasn't personal. Since the can of worms has been opened.....
The 301 is obviously a Pontiac motor. However, it's never been considered a real performer, not even the turbo. It was built with a light weak casting and was intended to b nothing more than a grocery getter. They can be dependable engines. I've owned a few 79-80 GP's with the 301, but only used them through the winter while I was storing my 69GP. I've also owned several 75-77 GP's. I really like the 77's for their style and have owned one with a 301 and one with a 400. I'll take the 400. The 301 just didn't have enough power to move that big car. Another reason why the downsized in 78. The only reason I said 79 was the last year was the TA with the 400. Other than liking the style of the 77GP I really don't care too much for anything past 73. I just look at the mid-70's as the time when they started thinking more about how to make it cheaper and get more mpg. IMO...it all went downhill from there. BTW...I've also owned a 93 Bonneville SSE and currently have an 02 SSEI. The 02 SSEI is up for sale as I now drive my 72 Lemans every day.

I apologize for offending anyone. It wasn't my intent. I was merely stating my opinion. I've owned my 69 GP since 1985 and absolutely love it. If you told me it was ugly, that's ok, it's your opinion.

Naw 1050, I don't take it personal, and you didn't offend me, as I said, you are entitled to your opinion, I was just trying to find out where you "drew the line" that's all.

I do realize that the 301 was an anemic engine compared to it's fore fathers, but it was a product of it's time, and I can tell you my G/A would run neck and neck with either of it's contemporaries, that being a Monte SS or an Olds 442 of that day.

I have several OLD Pontiacs that I love dearly, from an orig, 69 FB 400 cp to another 69 T/A conv, clone, and at last count I have 5 63 Tempest/lemans, along with many others, but I also have the last fast Pontiac, as in a G8 GXP.

I just think that bickering about where to draw the line is a moot point. Just enjoy what you like and leave the rest alone, that's all I am saying, I don't understand WHY there has to be a "line".

Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 PM

they dont make 60s anymore so we cant all have em. 2 cents

Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 301 wasn't all that anemic. My 79 Formula had one in it, and it ate up those 79 302 Ford Thunderbirds all day long.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're going to assign a cut off date why not when they went to overhead valves, long live the Flathead.
Or when they reversed the cooling, sacrilege.
Changed the intake manifold, redsigned the water pump, discontinued 8 lug wheels, long branch manifolds...
As long as it had a Pontiac badge on it, Pontiac had something to do with it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ho428 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
As long as it had a Pontiac badge on it, Pontiac had something to do with it.
This quote says it all!

Old 11-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Ha! That's beautiful.

You better set some orange cones out there so that people don't run into the back of your car as they are whipping out of the parking lot....

K
Actually, though of doing that, but this pic is at the Hope Hotel and Conference Center where 250 rooms were booked for POCI nationals so I thought I would be a little safer in the midst of so many like size cars. Everything turned out well in spite of my vulnerability

Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the OP's tone was a little off, but I also prefer the old format. It does not bother me at all to scroll down to find the classic Pontiac Street & Race forums that I am most interested in. I just think it is likely to make it harder for someone who is not familiar with the site to find the forum they are looking for.

In general, I think a lot of forum sites try too hard to keep things organized and have way too many subforums. I mean even before the revisions to this site, I could never understand why it was worth having a separate exhaust forum. If I have a question about exhaust for a street car, why not just put it in the street forum? Race car exhaust, race forum, etc.

Just my two cents. Regardless of what you do, I'll be back.