THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

Maybe some tire kicker told him, hey this car has a convertible frame! Then the Seller came up with the crazy idea as his explanation for how such an original car has the "wrong" frame. Failing to realize that the HD Frame was an option on a 2 dr. Hardtop.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, I never believed that Pontiac would "convert" a convertible to a hardtop on the assembly line. But I did not know a heavy duty frame was available as an option. So I did learn something. I have to admit, I can't imagine a customer walking into a Pontiac dealer and saying, " I want this Lemans, but only if I can order a heavy duty frame with it". I could see this for police or some other fleet application. I bet now this is where the crazy story came from if it has a boxed frame. The other part of my inquiry was just pondering if there was some weird option code involving the roof I had never heard of. I say this because when some specialty runs of cars were made to be sent out for roof modifications like early T-tops, sun roofs by outside vendors, weren't they sent un-painted on the roof areas? I am sure this guy is just blowing smoke, but it is an interesting BS story. I would say 12K for that car is near top of the market and it is a nice looking ride without the fantasy story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Yep, just having some fun. And so was Lightfoot.

Nobody here is believing the story of a convertible being converted mid-production to a hardtop.

However....

mgarblik, I'm wondering if maybe you figured it out?

Could it be that this Lemans DOES have a boxed convertible frame and the Seller thinks that means it was originally intended to be a convertible build?

The HD Frame was a special order option for the '72 Lemans, Sales Code 612.

FMile Pontiacs, do you know if it has the boxed HD Frame? Did you have the PHS for it?

Just to be clear, doesn't change the fact that Pontiac would never have converted a convertible body to a hardtop at mid-production.

The Body Assembly was completed BEFORE it was ever set down on a frame.

But could explain how the Seller came up with his crazy idea.

Maybe some tire kicker told him, hey this car has a convertible frame! Then the Seller came up with the crazy idea as his explanation for how such an original car has the "wrong" frame. Failing to realize that the HD Frame was an option on a 2 dr. Hardtop.

Regardless, $12K seems to be the upper end of value for this car. Since he paid top dollar, he'll be hard pressed to flip for a profit. I don't know how he can hope that somebody will want it for $50K.

I'd guess that if he put it on ebay with an opening bid of $2000, it would top out short of what he paid.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So I reached out to the owner trying to understand where the asking price was derived from. I said I was trying to be helpful by providing accurate information and explained what the T41 option is and that the car is nice but is a standard 350 LeMans.

Below is the response and man I would like to meet the appraisers on this one, total BS:

"Thank you Joe, but I have 2 appraisals one is 39k and the other is 42k. The condition, options, mileage, and original condition makes this car worth the value. It is a D37, it just has all of the upgrade options. Thank you for your opinion. It is a beautiful car."

Old 01-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonder what my original owner 74 SD would be worth from that appraiser? Don't 'they' realize how much info is available to verify these vehicles? Guess not!

Old 01-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always laugh at the "appraised value".

That's not how classic cars work.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I keep hearing talk in the air of auctions being down on Poncho prices. (???) Appraisals? Maybe the 2V market is hot I own a car that documentation says very same 2V engine. So I bought opinion right It is negative equity item, no way around. One buys in knowing open eyes, and it is fine. Any delusion on it is $ out da window. Buy as a solid platform and you will be fine. Mod or not.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if that's the case, I have some hi dollar rides for sure. lol...you know, the sales brochures for 1973 lemans list a "heavy duty perimeter frame" in the print
on standard equipment.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
So I reached out to the owner trying to understand where the asking price was derived from. I said I was trying to be helpful by providing accurate information and explained what the T41 option is and that the car is nice but is a standard 350 LeMans.

Below is the response and man I would like to meet the appraisers on this one, total BS:

"Thank you Joe, but I have 2 appraisals one is 39k and the other is 42k. The condition, options, mileage, and original condition makes this car worth the value. It is a D37, it just has all of the upgrade options. Thank you for your opinion. It is a beautiful car."
Those appraisals may be closer to truth if this was in fact a "GTO", but we all know it is not. I bet that's where his confusion is coming from.

Got a feeling the car won't be sold anytime soon unless he knocks at least $35k off his price!

1971 Lemans Post
Old 01-21-2017, 07:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post

You should send him the link to this thread, lol.
An appraisal is just an opinion you pay for. I should know since we charge for appraisals of all sorts at the auction house.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 01-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Wonder what my original owner 74 SD would be worth from that appraiser? Don't 'they' realize how much info is available to verify these vehicles? Guess not!
Well duh! Is it a D37 or not?

Old 01-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it's kind of in line with dealer pricing. he'll learn it's true value, eventually.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Wonder what would happen if I asked him if there was something wrong with the car since he is selling it so cheap.