THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:43 PM

Default Wisconsin License Plates rules

Was wondering if anyone knew the rules for license plates here in Wisconsin? Of course I know the basics of the all the regular plates, antique plates, hobbiest, collectors and so forth. I currently have a set of collectors on my Lemans. I guess my question is that I heard a while back that there was some changes which I believe allow you to run different plates for special events and car shows. By that, I mean original plates dated for the year of your car. The reason I ask this is I picked up over the weekend some vintage Illinois license plates from 1971 (the year of my car) and was wondering if I could put those on and drive to car shows? I swear I have seen others do that but I am not sure if the vintage plate originally belonged to their car. Obviously mine never matched, but I still think it's pretty cool to have! My car lived much of it's life I believe in Illinois and was purchased new in La Grange, IL.

I did do a google search but could not make much sense of the the license rules. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Tyler

1971 Lemans Post
Old 09-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Contact the Wisconsin DMV, Secretary of State, or whoever issues plates and get the answer from them. I live in Illinois and I can tell you that driving with plates NOT registered to that car is a costly offense, and I would guess the same in other states even if “just driving to a car show”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge-1969 View Post
... The reason I ask this is I picked up over the weekend some vintage Illinois license plates from 1971 (the year of my car) and was wondering if I could put those on and drive to car shows?...
Tyler
Since you are going to swap plates anyway, why not just change them at the show and avoid an issues with LE.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The way I read it the vehicle must be 1945 or older.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In Indiana, we can run an Indiana plate for the model year of the car all the time, but you are supposed to carry the registered antique plate in the car with you. Can't use another state plate like you're wanting. Pretty cool actually. I was able to find a brand new never issued plate for mine.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tyler

I suggest calling the DOT Special Plates Unit and getting facts, not opinions on the internet. Their phone # is (608) 266-3041.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at their website and wasn't able to find anything about year of manufacturer plates, but as mentioned the best thing to do is ask them directly, People will tell you how it's done in their state but it only matters how it's done in Wisconsin. Having said that, I can't imagine that Wisconsin will allow you to run vintage Illinois plates.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

From WisDOT's web site -

Except for motorcycles, which receive one plate, WisDOT issues two Collector license plates that must be displayed on the vehicle.

​​A person who registers a Collector motor vehicle that was manufactured before 1979 may display a historical plate from or representing the model year of the vehicle when driving to or from a car show, or during a parade, if the registration and plates issued by WisDOT are carried in or with the vehicle and are available for inspection by law enforcement upon request.​

I've been running 1967 Ohio license plates on my 1967 GTO in Wisconsin for 2 years without being questioned. One of my friends is an Ozaukee County sheriff and he says that's fine.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As suggested, I would just call the DMV. I have called them a few times in the past few months about titles and registration and believe it or not they were easy to get a hold of, friendly, and very helpful. I would call Madison directly not the local offices.

I think they allow vintage WI plates, not sure about out of state plates though.