Old 01-17-2024, 10:45 AM

Default Shaker scoop to air cleaner seal/gasket?

My shaker scoop rotates very easily even though the metal retainer ring is as tight as it will go. Is there a seal or gasket that is supposed to sit between the base of the shaker and the top of the air cleaner assembly that would add the necessary friction to prevent the shaker scoop from rotating? If so, what is it called and does it mount to the bottom lip of the shaker or to the top lip of the air cleaner base?
Thanks.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, theres is no other gasket or seal between the shaker & air cleaner.

If the ring is fully tightened to where the 2 ends are touching or close to it, thats all the more clamping it will do. Is the air cleaner rotating on the carb base? there should be a gasket there for sealing air, along with the weatherstrip between the shaker & hood. Most shakers will rotate a little at the air cleaner to carb, I have to straighten mine out occasionally.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:03 AM

Wow, don't give advice.

Of course there is, it hardens, dries out, and stops gripping, allowing the shaker to turn even if clamp is tight. So now you can fix yours and stop having to straighten it as well.

https://www.firebirdnation.com/threa.../#post-1559576

Old 01-17-2024, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, so what is the part that goes between the shaker & air cleaner? have never seen that on these cars, have owned them when they were not even 10 years old, in upper midwest climates that dont dry out parts very fast.

But if it was a part when new, most dont still have it nor is there anything available now for it, do you have a part# or source for a replacement?

Old 01-17-2024, 11:13 AM

You're welcome.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s like 1/2 round rubber , my OG is still there. Prob use contact cement to glue on, use the good flammable stuff.
Ive seen alot of shakers and most have them on still. I thought Ames has a replacement for this seal.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 01-17-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey thanks for the diagram Aus78/Trevor78...

However, that part is more of an air seal to keep air from getting into the air cleaner between the shaker gap, it is used on full size air cleaner lids too. It was not designed or intended to keep the shaker from rotating on the air cleaner base.

The retaining ring is what holds the shaker from rotating on the air cleaner.... I have never had a shaker rotate on the base if the ring is in good shape & tightened all the way down. The slight rotation I mentioned earlier is from the air cleaner to carb, if the wing nut isnt fully tightened or from the slop on the vent tube to hole in the air cleaner. Never had the scoop rotate on the housing.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I disagree, with out the rubber it’s a sloppy fit, with the rubber you can still move it. The rubber does help it from moving, also with out it, the paint would get all chipped up on your Aircleaner too.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-17-2024, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats fine to disagree, each situation may be different... just saying I have never had a shaker rotate on the air cleaner base if the retainer ring is in good condition & not stretched out or distorted like many do. My shakers dont have that seal and they dont rotate on the base at all, only very slight movement is at the base to carb if the wing nut isnt fully tight.

The retainer ring is what holds the shaker to the air cleaner, the rubber seal may provide some added resistance but its not designed to hold the shaker in place & should not be relied on for that purpose. Just like the full size air cleaner bases, the seal is designed to seal out air.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:25 PM

I have this seal for my restoration....still soft and flexible like new. When installed it does help with keeping air from getting past, but also helps to keep the shaker from turning. Without that seal air is sucked into the air cleaner but usually not enough to make a difference. Most of these seals are either missing or compressed so much that it will allow the shaker to move. And as stated......some shakers won't easily turn without it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	626692   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	626693  

Last edited by wheels; 01-17-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My current 78 shaker & all the T/A's Ive owned didnt have that air seal for whatever reason but the shakers didnt rotate at all without it, the clamp holds it very tight.

I have the original air seal on the full size air cleaner lid of my low mile 81 turbo car... im sure it probably helps keep the lid from rotating.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:14 AM

I suppose that my metal retaining ring may have a bit of age stretch occurring but I also believe that with the correct seal in place it would still be tight enough to prevent the shaker from turning. The original GM 527230 is probably not easy to come by these days so I may try an Ames FN113D, or OER K2017, or something similar and hope it will fit correctly on the metal lip of the shaker base. Thanks everyone.

The Following User Says Thank You to edecker455 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 10:59 AM

I don't know what those are, al you need is some small flat or half-round rubber strip, adhesive-backed is easiest, and just run it around in the groove. So long as is sits higher than the edge and than it is now and compresses, but springs back. I did several in the past when selling complete aircleaners and shakers restored, had a rubber place 30 min away, these days it's 30 sec away on ebay or whatever to find something, or several similar sizes that may fit. Rubber or neoprene closed-cell type, not something spongey that soaks up water or crumbles and gets sucked into the engine.

Ok did a search, no good on the Ames but likely same, the OER is the chunky strip that fits the lid perimeter on regular GM sealed air cleaner lids. If you lift your shaker off and measure tyou'll find it is about half that size and squashed. See Willy's NOS pics, half round and hollow, yet I'm sure a couple I did were squashed but solid, either way, whatever works.

Last edited by Red80TA; 01-18-2024 at 11:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red80TA For This Useful Post: