Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 AM

Default 1971 Lemans on Craigslist

Has anyone here checked into the 1971 Lemans on Craigslist in Columbus, OH? If you do, it is not exactly what the guy states in his ad. Seems like an interesting car however but after looking at it, I was kinda skeptical about it.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5438974929.html

Old 02-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well a give away maybe that the bushings had to be replaced on a 26K mile car?

Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Well a give away maybe that the bushings had to be replaced on a 26K mile car?
I agree, although he updated this ad to include that info after I looked at it!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 AM

Also, he claimed it was "original paint"....but I could tell right away it had been repainted. There was something interesting about the car though. After looking at the body tag and verifying it was an Adriatic blue car, it also stated a "11" (Cameo white) so I thought it may have had a cordova top at one time. He showed me the original window sticker and it was actually a two-tone paint car. Not sure how many of those were made.....

Old 02-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge-1969 View Post
Also, he claimed it was "original paint"....but I could tell right away it had been repainted. There was something interesting about the car though. After looking at the body tag and verifying it was an Adriatic blue car, it also stated a "11" (Cameo white) so I thought it may have had a cordova top at one time. He showed me the original window sticker and it was actually a two-tone paint car. Not sure how many of those were made.....
I would be very interested in getting more details on this car, particularly where it was originally delivered. My first car was an Adriatic Blue with Cameo White two-tone paint car that my dad bought new off the lot at Benton Pontiac in Cleveland, TN. I've been trying to find that car for years.

Do you by any chance have a copy or picture of that window sticker.

Here is my first car:

BJ

Old 02-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Isn't that the keyboardist from Murph and the Magic Tones? Gig at the Holiday Inn in Lodi, CA - 1972 tour?

Old 02-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I would be very interested in getting more details on this car, particularly where it was originally delivered. My first car was an Adriatic Blue with Cameo White two-tone paint car that my dad bought new off the lot at Benton Pontiac in Cleveland, TN. I've been trying to find that car for years.

Do you by any chance have a copy or picture of that window sticker.

Here is my first car:

BJ
I did not get a pic of the window sticker. I do know it was built in Atlanta. It had wheel covers originally according to the sticker, it currently has Rally II's on it which the guy said were original. Car had ps, pb, disc fronts, bench seat, A/C. No posi rear end.

The kid's story was that the original owner passed away and the family traded it in. Then this guy, whose buddy worked at the dealership sold him the car.

I do have more pics of the car that yhe guy shared with me.

Tyler

Old 02-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLiam View Post
Isn't that the keyboardist from Murph and the Magic Tones? Gig at the Holiday Inn in Lodi, CA - 1972 tour?
I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time! Yes, actually, that was right before our big break! I was rocking that crushed velvet tux!

Quote:
I did not get a pic of the window sticker. I do know it was built in Atlanta. It had wheel covers originally according to the sticker, it currently has Rally II's on it which the guy said were original. Car had ps, pb, disc fronts, bench seat, A/C. No posi rear end.

The kid's story was that the original owner passed away and the family traded it in. Then this guy, whose buddy worked at the dealership sold him the car.

I do have more pics of the car that yhe guy shared with me.

Tyler
Tyler, you just described my car precisely. It makes sense that it would have come out of Atlanta, too. Please send me the pictures you have - I'll shoot you a PM with my email address. I've called the number on the ad, hope the guy still has the car so I can get some details. Even if it isn't my first car, it would be a great candidate for replacing it with one just like it!

BJ

Old 02-19-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time! Yes, actually, that was right before our big break! I was rocking that crushed velvet tux!

Tyler, you just described my car precisely. It makes sense that it would have come out of Atlanta, too. Please send me the pictures you have - I'll shoot you a PM with my email address. I've called the number on the ad, hope the guy still has the car so I can get some details. Even if it isn't my first car, it would be a great candidate for replacing it with one just like it!

BJ
PM sent

Old 02-19-2016, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is another picture of my first car that just happened to be in the background of some drain pipe my dad was having put in at our new house. Check out the hand pump in the foreground. That was connected to a 1,000 gallon underground fuel tank. I used to use it to fill up that LeMans.

BJ

Old 02-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is getting exciting!

Subd!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is exciting Chris! I swapped a couple text messages with the guy who has it listed on CL. He is not at home now (got the impression that meant he was out of town) so it may be later this weekend before I get a chance to see the window sticker to see if it shipped to the dealership mine came from. If it did - I would bet the farm that it is my first car. Just don't see that small dealer having more than one two-tone car in that same set up. Fingers crossed!

BJ

Old 02-20-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
It is exciting Chris! I swapped a couple text messages with the guy who has it listed on CL. He is not at home now (got the impression that meant he was out of town) so it may be later this weekend before I get a chance to see the window sticker to see if it shipped to the dealership mine came from. If it did - I would bet the farm that it is my first car. Just don't see that small dealer having more than one two-tone car in that same set up. Fingers crossed!

BJ

I believe he told me he was gonna be busy this weekend with some trade show with his job. That's why I decided to go down this past Monday to look at it.

Looking at your pic I noticed there was no passenger side mirror. I could have sworn I saw one on the car I checked out. It was kinda hard to see anything however on the passenger side because the guy had it parked up tight against the wall in his garage. Not sure why he didn't pull it out so I could get a better look.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes BJ needs to recreate that car back to original and get that picture recreated too!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLiam View Post
Funny **** right there, I don't care who you are!

Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck landing it BJ! I remember you telling me some stories about your first car.

69 Firebird Ram Air IV, 4spd Matador Red/Black-Survivor
70 GTO Ram Air III 4spd Conv. burgundy(currently Black)/White/Black
71 GTO 455HO 4spd, Lucerne Blue/Black/Black
71 GTO 455HO Auto, Lucerne Blue/Sandalwood/Blue
Old 02-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Yes BJ needs to recreate that car back to original and get that picture recreated too!
With the same suit and bow tie too!

Crossing my fingers for ya BJ, it would be a great story!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Looking at your pic I noticed there was no passenger side mirror. I could have sworn I saw one on the car I checked out. It was kinda hard to see anything however on the passenger side because the guy had it parked up tight against the wall in his garage. Not sure why he didn't pull it out so I could get a better look.
Actually, I've been concerned about the mirrors too. This one does have sport body-colored mirrors on both sides; they show up in several of the pictures you sent me. Mine only had the driver's side mirror. A previous owner could have added them on this one? Mine also had body side moulding. Did you happen to notice side moulding listed on the window sticker?

BJ

Old 02-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Actually, I've been concerned about the mirrors too. This one does have sport body-colored mirrors on both sides; they show up in several of the pictures you sent me. Mine only had the driver's side mirror. A previous owner could have added them on this one? Mine also had body side moulding. Did you happen to notice side moulding listed on the window sticker?

BJ
dang, neat story here and I don't want to rain on the parade, but if it didn't have body side mirrors originally, the one chrome mirror on the driver's side would have been mounted at the 1970 position which was further forward on the door. The body mirrors were put further back on the door due to the shorter necks on them and that craigslist picture has the body mirror mounted in the correct position for a 71 body mirror car. Most guys wouldn't plug the chrome mirror holes and then mount the add on body mirrors further back because of the hassle/lack of knowledge. I guess it could have been a door swap due to an accident or something too but all the claims of originality didn't mention that one even though there was a repaint. Anyways, good luck on it being "the ONE"!!!!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mirrors aside there's been a repaint and the vinyl roof/two tone moldings have been removed so welding up a couple of holes in the driver's door is minor in the scheme of things.

Get it BJ and go get the jacket too.