Old 03-13-2016, 03:03 PM

Default Two Tone Paint...Rare? Valuable?

Been running into a few two tone A body cars lately and was wondering how rare they were and if there was any added value to them because of the option? Are they a desirable car? Something that is very collectible or are they maybe just an oddity? Curious to hear what others have to say or think.....

Tyler

Old 03-13-2016, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

in my life..its a 60-40...60% single the rest two tone...i dont think its rare..its just unusual to see one..especially a muscle car

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 03-14-2016, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they were a bit more common earlier in the decade than later. I don't know any numbers for GTOs, but I have some Mopar numbers and they are quite rare - for example, a 1970 'Cuda is 100 built, give or take a few for statistical error.

A lot of people (most?) will say they never made them, so it's always a good litmus test to see who knows what he's talking about. I think to the right person, it could add value, but only for the right color combination. Generally, I don't think it will affect value otherwise.

The cool thing about two-tone cars is that there's plenty of combos available, unlike vinyl tops.

What color combos have you been finding?

Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I once owned a 69 GTO, standard 350 horse YS automatic car, loaded with options.

It was a Matador Red car with white painted roof and parchment interior.

I also once had a 1970 GTO Judge Cardinal red car, 75 75 on body tag but was ordered with D98 two tone vinyl top trim.

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
I think they were a bit more common earlier in the decade than later. I don't know any numbers for GTOs, but I have some Mopar numbers and they are quite rare - for example, a 1970 'Cuda is 100 built, give or take a few for statistical error.

A lot of people (most?) will say they never made them, so it's always a good litmus test to see who knows what he's talking about. I think to the right person, it could add value, but only for the right color combination. Generally, I don't think it will affect value otherwise.

The cool thing about two-tone cars is that there's plenty of combos available, unlike vinyl tops.

What color combos have you been finding?
Seems like maybe it's not a rare option, but a "different" option? I guess with me not knowing much about them, I wasn't sure if that added value in a way a 4 spd 400 or ram air, or 455 HO cars would bring. Guess it makes sense because it is only a cosmetic option like a vinyl top car.

I have come across a Adriatic Blue '71 Lemans with a white top ( although the car was repainted a solid Adriatic Blue). I saw the window sticker for that car.

The other one was on craigslist, a Cameo White '68 Lemans with a Turquoise top. Looked like a pretty sharp combo especially with the Turquoise interior.

Any thoughts on the price he is asking? I have contacted him and got a bunch of pictures and info from him. Not exactly the '71 or '72 I was looking for but a cool car none-the-less! I can be persuaded!

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5487359561.html

Old 03-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

my 69 Fremont GTO was 2 tone,blue white top.My 63 tempest was gold white top.Tom

Old 03-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely more prevalent in the South & South West.
On a clear blue 110F day, every little bit helps!

Old 03-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge-1969 View Post
Seems like maybe it's not a rare option, but a "different" option? ....I have come across a Adriatic Blue '71 Lemans with a white top ( although the car was repainted a solid Adriatic Blue). I saw the window sticker for that car.
Well, are you talking about a performance car or a pedestrian car? Because the rarity is likely dependent on the segment of the vehicle. For example, over 22,000 1970 Chevelles had two-tone paint, but when was the last time you saw an SS with this trim?

Or let's compare similar cars in different segments, such as a V-8 1970 Road Runner coupe, hardtop, Satellite hardtop, and Sport Satellite hardtop:

Rates of installation for V02 two-tone paint:

2.2, 1.5, 4.1, 2.3

Plug in the percentages to the respective production and you get:

325, 351, 1,016, 170

Look at the rarity of other two-tone performance Mopars:

1969 RR: 583 & 656
1969 Super Bee: 168 & 367
1968 Super Bee: 173
1968 Coronet R/T: 149
1969 Coronet R/T: 64
1969 GTX: 211
1970 Duster 340: 610
1970 GTX: 93
1970 Dart Swinger 340: 208

Old 03-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rare on GTOs? Yes. More valuable? No.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 03-14-2016, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In reference to the CL ad that Judge -1969 posted https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5487359561.html
I always have to wonder, by a seller stating 350 4 bbl in an ad, if it could be a real 350 HO? An aftermarket intake and carb is usually a dead give away but this appears to have a Pontiac Qjet and stock intake so it just might be one.
Back in the day I would have hated this car for it's 2 tone paint, interior color and 2 speed auto and that it wasn't a GTO but it's funny how time has turned around my way of thinking 180 degrees. I'm really liking the look.
I can really appreciate the 350 HO cars as they are often under rated (IMO) and sometimes can be under priced (especially if the seller doesn't understand what it is).
I wonder if this could be a lifelong Colorado car? My 350 HO sold in Denver (Porter Pontiac) and lived it's whole life in the Denver area. Living on the east coast I first thought that Colorado would not be a great place to find this car but was really surprised (shocked actually) at just how rust free the car was (panels, floors, frame, etc.). Heck I bought '60's era GM cars here in NY that were only 7 or 8 years old at the time that already had rotted quarters, etc. It was rare to find anything here over 10 years old without some degree of rust/rot never mind a 40 year old vert. I guess it's a dry climate there in Denver and they must not salt the roads like they do in New York.
In my case, the seller wasn't Pontiac savvy and possibly never realized (or even mentioned) it was a 350 HO but had just stated it was a "powerful" 350 with a 4bbl, 4 speed, convertible etc. I had casually asked to check some numbers and finding out it was an original #'s 350 HO etc. was exciting. Not like finding a RAII exciting, etc. but still, for the price, it felt like it although on a much less grander scale lol.
Maybe this Lemans is more than it may appear...and I don't want to know either!

Old 03-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that's a really nice car. I have the same interior and almost painted the top of mine white rather than put the original black vinyl back. I don't think it would have worked as well in reverse, but on that car it looks good.

I'm posting a pic also of a GTO in the same color combo. I saved this years ago because I liked the look....

This one has always been one of my all-time favorites with two tone paint. From HPP-

Old 03-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And finally...one more from HPP. This is the one that inspired me to almost paint my top white but I finally decided that it works with this car because of the parchment interior... I honestly can't recall right now if this one was a painted or vinyl top but I THINK it was painted.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Wow Greg! That does look sharp! The more I look at the car the more it grows on me as well. I wish it wasn't so far from me. It's at least 16+ hrs. I had a friend out there that wasn't too far from the car and would have checked it out for me but they are going out of town. I checked into shipping as well and that wasn't cheap either. Probably gonna pass. Would cost way more than I want to spend when all is said and done. Car does need some work, lots a dings and small dents with some surface rust coming through. Gonna need paint. I got a bunch of pictures from the guy. Super nice guy over the phone. Guess I will try and stay local.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg,that was my color combo,did a Bobcat trim on it with redlines and repo Hurst rims.Tom

Old 03-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So ..... educate me, GTO/Lemans/Etc was offered two-toned with painted top instead of vinyl? Same trim?

So those of us with vinyl tops, if we so desired could paint instead and use the same trim pieces?

Technically ... wasn't a vinyl top considered a "color" on the trim tag? Coded as an "upper color" or something like that?

PS. Those are some beautiful color combos in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That turquoise 68 from HPP was my old car. The top was vinyl. Funny thing though, was that the car was originaly Primervera Beige before the color change to Meridian. I miss that car. Car was Texas car brand new

Old 03-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
So ..... educate me, GTO/Lemans/Etc was offered two-toned with painted top instead of vinyl? Same trim?
Not instead, but you could choose one, the other, or monotone.

Look at this order form and see how the salesman specified the top color, vinyl top, or convertible top:

Old 03-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Greg,that was my color combo,did a Bobcat trim on it with redlines and repo Hurst rims.Tom
Tom, I remember that car very well....I wanted badly to duplicate it but couldn't imagine it working with a vinyl top and turquoise interior. I would have bought it from you in a heartbeat if I'd had the cash.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

So those of us with vinyl tops, if we so desired could paint instead and use the same trim pieces?
Yes. Vinyl top cars and painted top cars used the same trim. That holds true for all the years as far as I can recall.
As Diego pointed out with his attachment, you had two descriptors in the space for paint on the data plate. For '68, paint color is a number and vinyl or convertible top color is an alphabet. My car for instance is K2. K is for Meridian Turquoise paint and 2 is for black vinyl. If it had been a non vinyl top car and one color it would have been coded KK. If it had a black painted top, it would have been KA since Starlight black is 'A'.
In '69 for some reason, they went just the opposite. Paint was a number and top was a letter if vinyl or convert. Looking at Diego's image it looks like they went right back to the old codes.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Technically ... wasn't a vinyl top considered a "color" on the trim tag? Coded as an "upper color" or something like that?

PS. Those are some beautiful color combos in my opinion.
Yes.... uses the vinyl roof trim

I made the decision to not reinstall a vinyl roof and try the 2 tone look when I did my car....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN