Old 01-29-2024, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default steering column help

Does this cover come off the column and if so how?

I was working on my column to replace the ignition switch cylinder and after I put everything back together the turn lever won't operate the dimmer switch.......it's not pushing anything when I pull it back it is real loose. Something obviously came out of position with the lever.

Turn signal operation works ok.

I don't want to break that plastic cover/cap but I need to get it off to see what's going on with the dimmer switch linkage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	627504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2536.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	627505  

Old 01-29-2024, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That cover does come off but you have to remove the “upper” cover, closer to the driver so to speak. I think it’s only 3 large Phillips head screws if I recall correctly. There is a little arm, for lack of a better term, that has to be positioned appropriately to function the dimmer linkage. Sorry, I don’t know the proper terms but I do have a spare column I redid in my shed I’d tear down for you to show you if you end up needing it. I don’t think I have any pictures when I took mine apart but I’ll look.

If you remove everything including the turn aignal switch you’ll see those 3 big screws I’m talking about.

Brian
Old 01-29-2024, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post

If you remove everything including the turn aignal switch you’ll see those 3 big screws I’m talking about.
Saw those 3 screws under the t/s switch but didn't want to mess with them as I thought it may have loosened the top of the column. I also thought that back cover would just snap on and off with that top bowl still in place........at least that what it looks like after I removed the tilt lever.

Darned if I know what came out of place just pulling the t/s switch up a little to replace the ign cylinder but something did to not allow the dimmer switch to work.

I don't wanna go prying on that cover until I know for sure how it'll come off so any more help is appreciated. I have also heard the turn lever can be a booger to remove so I want to avoid that if possible.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You don’t need to remove the turn signal lever and even if you did it’s not difficult to do.

I’m not trying to sound rude but I don’t know what other help you want. The way I explained is the only way to get that cover off. I promise you if you manage to get the cover off without removing the upper collar you will not get it back on even assuming you don’t break it.

Brian
Old 01-30-2024, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post
The way I explained is the only way to get that cover off.
got it. It comes off with the bowl and cant be removed alone. It had me fooled because it was so loose fitting it looked like it would be removable, Never having one apart before it's hard to know the inner workings of the dimmer linkage.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I get it. It seems like it could almost make it. Ask me how I know lol. The dimmer mechanism isn’t anything too tricky. You’ll see how it works once you get in there and what part fell out of place. Like I said, if you have trouble let me know and I’ll dig out my spare column and pull it apart.

Brian