Old 09-17-2022, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default No dash lights 68 Lemans

Hi all. I’m puzzled. I just had my dash out because I changed the bezel with a re-chromed one. When I had the cluster out I checked the traces for the illumination and all worked fine. I put the dash back in and no dash lights.
I changed the headlight switch no difference.
Fuses all good.
Tail lights all work.
park and headlights work.
Rotating headlight knob no difference (interior lights on when rotated CCW)
Ground from cluster “straps” have continuity to body ground. In dash clock functions (so ground is good)
pulled out dash again to check illumination pin on trace plug. No voltage with headlight knob pulled out.
I assume 12v feed for the illumination circuit (gray wire) comes from HL switch?
Not sure what my next move is?
thanks

Old 09-18-2022, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that either prior to or after the headlamp dimmer; 12 volt + power for the dash lights goes back to the fuse block. There should be a 3 or 4 amp fuse that is unique to just the gauge night-time lights. But really if they worked before you took the bezel out and replaced it. Then something you did there, or forgot to do when you put it all back together. That is the reason they no longer light up.

If the printed circuit behind the gauge cluster is original to the car (over 50 years old) then I would look to that first as the cause of this new problem.