Old 09-20-2022, 07:55 PM

Default 79 TA Brake Booster

Is the angle the booster mounts to the firewall different between a 76 TA and a 79 TA? I bought a new booster and master cylinder for a 79 I am putting back together. (I do not have the original one, was not with the car when I bought it). The one I bought appears to come up past the fenders too far and does not look like it will clear the hood. It definitely sits up further than the one on my 76 TA. I have checked the part numbers and one for a 76 is different than a 79 but what exactly is different? Any help sorting out my confusing would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:59 PM
Suspended

It should mount to 17 degrees, booster or master cylinder. Some of this is built into the the firewall mounting pad, the rest is built into the booster mounting bracket itself.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Full disc is a smaller booster BTW

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 02:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You may have gotten an A body booster....

.Where did you get it from..?

Old 09-22-2022, 03:43 PM

Yes, it does say 70-81 A-body but also says it is for a 70-81 GM F-body. Camaro/Firebird. I got it from Inline tube. I emailed them and they finally got back with me. They asked me to take pictures to send them so they could see if the wrong one was sent. I am removing it today and taking the pictures.

Old 09-22-2022, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With all due respect to Inline Tube....alot of their application data is wrong...

I ordered a "correct" 70-74 reverse shift rod...for my 72 TA.....and the one they sent is for a A body...Not even CLOSE..

I don't believe the A and F body brake booster mounting brackets are the same...

The booster might be..

The Following User Says Thank You to Green Hornet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 09:17 PM
Suspended

No respect needed. They have been notified and corrected many times and done nothing. You can sell far more by being ignorant and not dealing with anyone directly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor78 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had this same problem on my 72- the shop ended up making a bracket to make it work. We tried two parts store 79 WS6 booster/master combo (smaller booster) and had the same issue. I should pick the car up on Saturday if you need pics.

Also, my car was a manual brake car before which we figured must have been the problem. Maybe the firewall was different? It works well now.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:30 AM
Suspended

Yes, manual brakes does affect firewall mounting and angle, another can of worms when testing parts that the owner and seller aren't aware of specifics.