Old 02-14-2022, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One around the squirrel cage hole......and another.......to the left......on top side of blower fan housing..

Old 02-14-2022, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
One around the squirrel cage hole......and another.......to the left......on top side of blower fan housing..
Close. On this car squirrel cage hole and other is at the bottom where it angles in. I do think you’re right though Non A/C cars are like that. This is an A/C car.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

The housing and not the firewall?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-14-2022, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Blocks

Ok I'm new but not stupid. If I was greedy and had a list of cars with missing engines and there vins. It would be easy to mill the front of engine down 100th of inch to erase stamp and restamp. I'm not an idiot. You guys act like you worked there at the plant. Unbelievable I think we not suppose to talk about this but I will. Original is original. Maybe we need to calibrated our dimensions on block. If ys and yz same block same casting numbers some dumb guy mills the front pays the professional restamper gets 4 bolt main put Vin on it and there you go. Ha

Old 02-14-2022, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
Ok I'm new but not stupid. If I was greedy and had a list of cars with missing engines and there vins. It would be easy to mill the front of engine down 100th of inch to erase stamp and restamp. I'm not an idiot. You guys act like you worked there at the plant. Unbelievable I think we not suppose to talk about this but I will. Original is original. Maybe we need to calibrated our dimensions on block. If ys and yz same block same casting numbers some dumb guy mills the front pays the professional restamper gets 4 bolt main put Vin on it and there you go. Ha
Except you can’t reproduce the broach marks that are factory nor can you fix the other three VERY obvious tells. Just stop it isn’t a restamped block already

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTASSBIRD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTASSBIRD View Post
Except you can’t reproduce the broach marks that are factory nor can you fix the other three VERY obvious tells. Just stop it isn’t a restamped block already
I never said it was a restamp.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have a 02A Van Nuys built car on the rotisserie. Number 0836 or something like that. BOTH (I didn’t know there were 2) hidden vins have the year stamped with a zero. Happy to send you a pic for your records if you want. Not contesting your statement just providing more examples
My head was stuck in Norwood, and I should have said all my research on this is Norwood cars, but 3 were sold by dealers in Northern and So Cal.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The housing and not the firewall?

Under the blower housing....on firewall..on non-AC.....

AC cars have a 2nd one under evap housing...

The Following User Says Thank You to Green Hornet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
You would need more than the "100th of an inch" in most all engines blocks,
and the milling used made broach marks across the whole front. Very tough to do, or find someone with equipment and time to do it.
Doing 4 bolt mains, would require USED caps. All the replacement ones are billet machined steel.. Then, you would have to get the block "ALIGN bored"
Which would require a LOT off attention to details regarding the front and rear oil seals as the crank gets moved up away from the seal surfaces.
All that could cost a good 4K in labor alone and Still, you have the cam holder closer, the timing cover closer to the chain....
Pontiac made 4 different 400's with the Same block in 1970.....
Hell with the numbers if you need an engine go with what ya got, if you dont have the original.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
You would need more than the "100th of an inch" in most all engines blocks,
and the milling used made broach marks across the whole front. Very tough to do, or find someone with equipment and time to do it.
Doing 4 bolt mains, would require USED caps. All the replacement ones are billet machined steel.. Then, you would have to get the block "ALIGN bored"
Which would require a LOT off attention to details regarding the front and rear oil seals as the crank gets moved up away from the seal surfaces.
All that could cost a good 4K in labor alone and Still, you have the cam holder closer, the timing cover closer to the chain....
Pontiac made 4 different 400's with the Same block in 1970.....
Hell with the numbers if you need an engine go with what ya got, if you dont have the original.
I think it's been done but cool

Old 02-15-2022, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Close. On this car squirrel cage hole and other is at the bottom where it angles in. I do think you’re right though Non A/C cars are like that. This is an A/C car.
Under the blower housing....on firewall..on non-AC.....

AC cars have a 2nd one under evap housing...
Thank's very much guys!

I just went out to the garage, and found the second one on my car - I had no idea that two were there!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
what is or were is the squirrel cage hole

Old 02-16-2022, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
what is or were is the squirrel cage hole
The big blower motor squirrel cage fan from the blower fan goes through this hole. stamping areas are anywhere around these two holes on a AC car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stamp areas.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	584190  

Old 02-16-2022, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Thank's very much guys!

I just went out to the garage, and found the second one on my car - I had no idea that two were there!
And there is a 9 at the begining ? ( Norwood car?_)

Old 02-16-2022, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
The big blower motor squirrel cage fan from the blower fan goes through this hole. stamping areas are anywhere around these two holes on a AC car.
thank you again for your reply

The Following User Says Thank You to grd777 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mine is a June car;
Where the "9" or "0" would be it has a small letter "o" top justified, infront of the rest of the characters;
It looks a little funny.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-28-2022, 02:52 AM

Just stumbled onto this thread. Can we have an update here? Was the block ever able to reunite with its’ original chassis?!?!

Last edited by Goated66; 02-28-2022 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goated66 View Post
Just stumbled onto this thread. Can we have an update here? Was the block ever able to reunite with its’ original chassis?!?!
Yes we’re also like to hear if the Block is going to be reunited with its original car