Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Convertible top motor armature needed

I'm looking for a new armature for my 66 convertible. Pump isn't necessary only the motor or armature. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck with your search.

I called server places to see about having the armarure re-wound but it wasn't cost effective.

This was my solution. Cheaper then a new pump. I sent the motor off last week. I will update the post when its back.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=710337

Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rohrt, this was your response:

"Well he was 100% right. I pulled the armatur out and had it tested at a place locally that specialzes in starters and alternators. Its shorted.

I researched what I could on getting it fixed and even considered rewinding it myself. (yes I'm that cheap) but in the end sending to http://www.topmotorrepair.com was going to be the best way to go. $135 rebuild, great warrenty and ebay feedback. Packaged shiped yesterday.

My research of rewinding armatures was very interesting. The spiral shape of the armature core make a smoother motor but more expensive to manufature. The size of the magnet wire changes the torque and speed as well as the phasing of the brushes on the commutator in relation to the feild windings. If I had an extra junk motor I would consider rewinding it for fun but I didn't want to chance not having a good core."

Well, that was my finding also. I brought mine to a motor repair shop and he found that my armature had a bad segment and I needed a new armature. He checked around and couldn't find any but he's still looking and suggested a used armature. If I don't hear anything in the next week I'll give those guys a shout. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still looking!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a pump motor for parts and/or a friend that rewinds starters etc for a living. I can put you in touch with him and he could test my armature and fix it and send to you. He's very reasonable. PM if interested.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PM sent.