Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Default 69 Convertible Door Handle Fitment ???

Installed new rear inner "door" panels (pre-assembled) on 69 GTO convertible. The window handle would not seat quite deep enough on regulator gear without some slippage with the spring behind it ALSO widow handle stem actually scrubbs chrome panel trim very aggressively. Don't know if the repro handles are a poor design and originals have a better fitment for this. Any one else had similar problems or solutions?

Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Compare to original handles....chinese handles are crap.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Default And the answer is .......

Found an original and the clearence from the handle face that is on door panel to back of handle stem is greater on the original handles thus allowing the handle to turn freely around without hitting the bright trim on the door handle. Who would a thunk it?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Replacement handles...

I had heard that there are bad window handles out there so when I replaced mine I went out of my way to find some advertised as "not cheap replacements" and paid a few extra bucks. Don't know how many actual manufacturers are out there or what the differences are but mine look good and work fine. I didn't install the springs that are supposed to be behind them, but did use the plastic shields that go between the back of the handle and the door panel.

I am more disappointed in the replacement inside door opening handles that I bought. They look fine and are holding up well but the serrations in the passenger handle mounting hole are not clocked correctly so that it is impossible to install the handle level.

My outside handles are licensed GM replacements and they are perfect.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"