Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM

Default Door vinyl repair

Winter's here so I've moved on to inside projects. I have the doors off of my 67 gto and want to repair the inner door panels. Repair is the key word here. I know I can replace the panels with new ones, but I prefer to maintain the originality (that means I'm too cheap to buy new ones).
So here's the situation. The door panels are removed. The backing board is warped which has also warped the interior vinyl covering. Aside from being not flat, the vinyl is in pretty good shape. I'd like to reuse it if it can be flattened. Have any of you tried to restore your interior vinyl. All tips, tricks or stories that start with "I know a guy" would be appreciated.

Jim

Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you can carefully remove,replace the foam and reskin on masonite or better choice is plastic the same thickness.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks Cammer-6. I have a sheet of masonite for replacing the backing board. I haven't removed the vinyl yet but judging by the condition of the backing board I expect the edges of the vinyl to be somewhat curled. I'm hoping that it can relax to near original condition when removed from the warped board. I wonder if heat or lying on a flat surface would help.
I lifted an edge of the vinyl to see what was between the vinyl and the backing board and was surprised to see how thin the padding was. Not really padding - more like a coarse cloth. I've been reading of people using 1/4" thick material. I need to rethink that.

Jim

Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

keep in mind that if you use masonite and it gets wet,you have the same problem again.
Hence my suggestion to use plastic backing board.
The hardest part will be to remove the emblems without breaking the studs off.
Dont worry about the curling of edges,lay in the hot sun after they are removed from the potato chip and they will relax