Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-01-2020, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 4 speed muncie in a 70 Judge

Hope I can get some trouble shooting advice....

Just put a new 468 in my Judge. Put the tranny in from the floor after the engine was put in. When I originally took it out at Christmas....I unhooked the shifter rods at the transmission unbolted the shifter hosing and lifted it through the console after i dropped the 4 speed. Drained the oil, replaced with GL4 , cleaned it, repainted it (that's it) Put the nuts and washers hold the shift rods on the tranny to not lose them.
Cleaned the shift rods (did not adjust any thing and left it under my worktable)

Restored the engine bay, put everything back including the transmission. Then I put the shifter back in. The shift arms went on perfectly.

Fired the car up ran it for 20 minutes and went to put it on the 4 post hoist to drain the oil and change the filter. As a side note the engine performed flawlessly and I cant wait to drive it. Went to put in reverse...wont shift, no way Jose. Pushed it back and drove it on the hoist in first . I did notice I have to adjust the clutch peddle (releases a little high on the peddle) but no issue.

The car will shift in all 4 forward gears , no problem. just no reverse. Went under the car, check the linkage position. and I can shift the reverse gear by pulling the shift rod and or pulling the reverse shift lever at the transmission.

So....Do I have to pull the shifter and check or change the whole shifter mechanism out.? Everything lines up perfectly . Like I said earlier, it all went together with no issues.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and can steer me in the right direction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	538857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1403.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	538858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	538859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1427.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	538860  

Old 05-01-2020, 10:55 PM
Boost Engineer

I would remove the shift rod for reverse and put a drill in the alignment slot on the shifter.
Then I would try to reinstall the reverse rod end on the shifter lever for reverse.

If the rod will not go into the shift lever, loosen the reverse rod enough so that you can put the rod end into the shifter lever cleanly.

Then tighten up the reverse rod and try to shift into reverse AFTER you REMOVE the drill bit from the alignment slot.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it shift into reverse with the engine shut off? By saying it won't shift into reverse, does it grind or just will not move?

Old 05-02-2020, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reverse is on a spring in the shifter, so if the shifter won’t go to the left of first /second gear gate(shifter lateral position)it is surely a gate alignment issue.
Google up competition plus shifter linkage adjustments, as Tom V wisely recommended..

...make sure you didn’t loose any “top hat” bushings too! Shifter linkage needs fine adjustment to perform buttery.
Myself I disassemble the whole shifter, clean, lubricate If I have it out for a deal like yours.
HTH
😎

Old 05-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Could you humor me and mount the trunion from the backside for the reverse rod to shifter?

Actually, it looks like the 3-4 arm is on the 1-2 rod and the 1-2 arm (on backwards) is on the 3-4 rod too.

Last edited by Held for Ransom; 05-02-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One other thing I've seen, is someone puts the reverse arm on upside down, causing the same problem you're describing.

It's not that hard to do, just something I've seen happen when all the linkage and arms are removed and re-installed.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-02-2020, 10:42 AM
Senior Chief

If the linkage is all in the correct place and adjusted and still no reverse check the shifter to tranny mounting bolt. The one sort of up in the bottom of the shifter . If replaced with a bolt with a taller head or thicker washers , it can prevent enough leftward movement to get reverse.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, arm looks correct to me. Just the trunion (Hurst calls it an adjusting button) is mounted on the wrong side. Noticed the 1-2 button is on the wrong side too.

It's all a mess, to me.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could you humor me and mount the trunion from the backside for the reverse rod to shifter?
No, arm looks correct to me. Just the trunion (Hurst calls it an adjusting button) is mounted on the wrong side. Noticed the 1-2 button is on the wrong side too.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a video. https://youtu.be/yaQwPQTenMg

Old 05-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, for the advice....I will check all of the points above and report my findings....Thanks

Old 05-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/3737823_Install.PDF

Long video, but good idea on installation instructions. Found online.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Once you watch the video you will see that you have the arms in the wrong position on the shifter.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't go by that video. It was being set up for a '69 Camaro. That's why I posted the link to a GTO kit w/part numbers.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The arms still go on the same levers.