Old 09-12-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Engine keeps going.... . . .

Just overhauled my 400 and put it back in my '79 T/A, everythings put back together the same as it's been for years. The engine keeps trying to turn over after turning off the key and won't stop till the battery ground is removed. I've checked all the usual suspects, the starter and selonoid are good, the ignition switch is replaced and adjusted correctly, and nothing appears to be shorting to ground. Any ideas?

Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you say "keeps tring to turn over' do you mean the starter is still cranking the engine or the engine just keeps running?

Starter: Could be an electrical problem....the solenoid terminal stays hot for some reason. Attach a voltmeter to that cicuit to see if in fact it is still hot with key off.

Starter: Could be a mech problem.. Bendix drive getting stuck out in mesh with the flywheel; the electrical connection from the bat to the starter motor (inside the solenoid) is maintained.

If it keeps running, do you have HEi or MSD ignition?

george

Old 09-13-2005, 02:30 PM

Hey george, thanks for the reply. I haven't completely started the engine since it's overhaul. I attempted to start it with intentions of zeroing in on the timing, but instead, the engine kept on trying to turn over after turning off the key. I had the brand new starter checked and even replaced it convinced it had to be the deal, but no. I am having to put a lot of shims in to get the proper flywheel clearance though, seven to be exact, including a thick one. If it's still too close that may be the problem. I'm running the stock HEI.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, so it's starter related...seven shims sure are a lot. I'd suggest take a better look under there and actually measure the engagement. You're supposed to be able to insert the end of a large paper clip (talking about the wire size), between the tip of the pinion an d the root of the ring gear tooth, when the engagement is right.

I don't belive there should ever be seven shims needed. It would be one thing if it fixed the problem, but if not, there is something else out of whack.

Try using just a jumper from the battery to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. If the starter works correctly with the jumper, then maybe the original solenoid circuit from the ignition switch is the problem.

George

Old 09-13-2005, 02:56 PM

OK, I'll try the direct jump route. Yeah it's taking seven shims to get the 1/8 inch clearance. I'm using the gauge tool that comes with the starter. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2005, 03:08 PM

By the way, is there a quick way to check the solenoid circuit from the ignition switch?
I've been keeping up with your replys to "Mook" who seems to have a similar situation, hopefully that will keep you from having to repeat yourself too awful much. Let me see if I'm clear on this, if the flywheel and bendix are too close it can bind and not release?

Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never experienced it, but I'd say it could bind. In any case, if there was a mechanical problem, that's the only thing I could think of, unless there's something in the way the starter was assembled causing the pinion and Bendix to jam in the extended position.

George

Old 09-13-2005, 05:09 PM

Well I've got plenty to go on now, all I have to do is wait for this "mini-Katrina" to pass over so I can get back out and try a few things, 'preciate all your help.
peace, Joey