Midwest Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Senior Chief

I have been going twenty plus years also. Was there for the drags at Kilkare: and the attendance slolwy died from lack of participation. I do not believe they helped grow it at all,but to each their own. It is the friends made that bring me back. They are having a cruise also, just not at Tipp this year due to construction by the city. It will be at Quaker Steak, listed right on the TA NATS website. I will be there in the Fire Am. Not a show car, a fun car that I will be blasting down the interstate for 6+ hours to get there, loving every minute along the way. As Paul said, it's about fun for me.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Mike, You know Im a fan bud but you cant judge the attendance at this years show from a little video. We'll never fill that field on show day. Nor do we expect to. Twelve acres can hold an estimated 800 cars. We were down but only by about 40 cars from last years 401 ( a show record by the way). Previous years we hover at about 390. You couldn't tell on the field. You should actually come to the show sometime since its in your back yard.
Paul, I DO make it to this show! I was there on Saturday, had other plans for Sunday. I went last year when it was across the street, and the year before, which I think is when I met you!

We were there from around 11:00 am Saturday until around 6:30 pm, and enjoyed the cruise night crowd pulling in. I had a few Pontiac friends that went on Sunday, and they said attendance was down....way down. I was basing my comment on their comments, and by what I saw on a few YouTube videos.

This is in NO WAY criticizing this event. I think it's fantastic, and I recommend it, and promote it, to everyone I meet on the street. I was just making an observation that the attendance is diminishing at these shows that are dedicated to a single manufacturer, like Buick, Olds, Pontiac, etc. That's not a slam to anyone, any club, or any event, it's just a fact that the numbers are declining.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Paul, I DO make it to this show! I was there on Saturday, had other plans for Sunday. I went last year when it was across the street, and the year before, which I think is when I met you!

We were there from around 11:00 am Saturday until around 6:30 pm, and enjoyed the cruise night crowd pulling in. I had a few Pontiac friends that went on Sunday, and they said attendance was down....way down. I was basing my comment on their comments, and by what I saw on a few YouTube videos.

This is in NO WAY criticizing this event. I think it's fantastic, and I recommend it, and promote it, to everyone I meet on the street. I was just making an observation that the attendance is diminishing at these shows that are dedicated to a single manufacturer, like Buick, Olds, Pontiac, etc. That's not a slam to anyone, any club, or any event, it's just a fact that the numbers are declining.
They were gooped up on gop.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamn69 View Post
I have been going twenty plus years also. Was there for the drags at Kilkare: and the attendance slolwy died from lack of participation. I do not believe they helped grow it at all,but to each their own. It is the friends made that bring me back. They are having a cruise also, just not at Tipp this year due to construction by the city. It will be at Quaker Steak, listed right on the TA NATS website. I will be there in the Fire Am. Not a show car, a fun car that I will be blasting down the interstate for 6+ hours to get there, loving every minute along the way. As Paul said, it's about fun for me.

We are taking US 30 thru Ft Wayne and thru scenic Ohio (Van Wert) for the cruise portion!

Cruising there is the fun part!!!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Way down??

Yes, if your friends say it must be true!

They're not good at simple math either?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

I've been going down there since 1998 and only missed one year for my wedding, it is a great show, and the people are wonderful. However, sitting in a parking lot and staring at the same cars for two days gets a little boring. Pontiac has always been a performance brand, and a few of us have said it would be great to have an autocross or something like that on Saturday, to break up the day a little. A few years ago at the airport, there was a chassis dyno that was running non stop for hours. It was awesome hearing the sounds of some great Pontiacs singing at 5500 rpm. Now it is just a DJ screaming through a microphone with 25 songs on constant rotation. I love this show and won't miss a single one, but there needs to be something else to draw more people in. My .02

Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 PM

This will be my 25th Nationals........I'll be leaving central Illinois Friday morning.....Always look forward to this show !

76 SE 455 hardtop
87 GTA
89 Turbo TA
02 CETA Convert
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstites View Post
This will be my 25th Nationals........I'll be leaving central Illinois Friday morning.....Always look forward to this show !
What car are you bringing?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Getting the car ready for natz.....What do you think?
I'm trying to find a Burt card board cutout

I like your model, but Burt didn't drive a TA like yours lol just sayin. Ummmm my Mom told me to post this.

Wish list: 1.) 2002 WS6 Ram Air 6sp. TA Well a 99 will have to do.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonTeaYackChick View Post
I like your model, but Burt didn't drive a TA like yours lol just sayin. Ummmm my Mom told me to post this.
thats true.....But he wanted too

Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

anyone from AL going to the Nat's?

email me

thepontiacman@yahoo.com

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM

Bringing the 76 LE 445 4 speed hardtop......I just purchased this survivor a few weeks ago and will be looking for bits and pieces so I can start restoring it this winter.....

76 SE 455 hardtop
87 GTA
89 Turbo TA
02 CETA Convert
Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM

It's the last day, I think the turnout of cars is excellent . Good selection of stuff in the swap meet

Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We need pictures

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not a car show organizer so I don't know what the actual goals are as far as attendance. BUT, I am a car guy and a Pontiac car guy in particular. I am a 35 year POCI member and I live in Dayton, OH. If you want a BIG bump in attendance at least as spectators, you need to bring in a few food vendors and let the metro Dayton area of over 1,000,000 people know the event is happening, where it is, and welcome them to attend and look at and appreciate the cars. You could even charge a little entry fee to keep the fans honest. Also, anything that has these cars doing something like a cruise, autocross, solo, drag race would sure bring lots more interest to the event. This is especially true for younger people. If the goal is just people my age or older 50+ parking, polishing, and sitting in lawn chairs staring at their cars, the event is spot on. I enjoyed the 2 hours I spent Saturday looking at all the cars. The 70-74 TA's were very well represented in particular. But I did not enter my 68 400 HO convertible 4-speed in the show because in my experience, first gen owners other than 69 TA's are treated as last class citizens at the TA nats. After all, they are not TA's.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
... because in my experience, first gen owners other than 69 TA's are treated as last class citizens at the TA nats. After all, they are not TA's.
My thoughts exactly. Rumor has it one of the 8 were there? Or was someone just pulling my leg?

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Freshly restored 69 TA vert white/white top with blue interior 4 speed car. Sorry no pictures!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did not see any 69 TA convertibles, real or otherwise, but I could have missed it. I think I saw around 3-4 69 hardtops. Most impressive to me were the 70-74 models. There were just allot of them, and most very nice. Most looked like they were driven some too, which I appreciate. I have owned many muscle Pontiacs, including a few rare ones like a 69 Judge convertible. But I think the 70 TA I had was my favorite as a car to drive and enjoy. It just did everything well, accelerate, brake, handle, comfort. Had it 11 years, should have re-restored it. A great car.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ahh, so it was the one undergoing resto during MCACN last year?

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenweb View Post
Ahh, so it was the one undergoing resto during MCACN last year?

Pretty sure there will be a few of them at MCACN in November